Have any asexuals tried Hypnotherapy?

Have any asexuals tried Hypnotherapy? Not to see if there are suppressed memories, but to change the way you view sex & see if you can become more sexual? I’m asexual & am not implying everyone should want to change, but for me personally, I wish I was just a regular girl & could just be with any regular guy long term. I feel my dating pool is very small because of how I am. I did try hypnotherapy years ago when I thought there may be something suppressed making me afraid to be more than a gray asexual, but I found out that I’m not able to be hypnotized. I had tried multiple times to be hypnotized by trained hypnotists & the CDs you try at home. Nothing worked. Hope no one is offended by this question. I personally just wish I was like most women for companionship reasons & would probably try anything if I thought there was hope of changing.

everywhere and nowhere

Well, all I can change is that I wouldn't want to be non-asexual. And in fact many years before I started identifying as asexual, I already knew that I don't want the "husband + kids" route anyway.

But while I have never seriously tried hypnosis - for any reasons - I too have always felt that I would be probably very unresponsive. I find it really hard to concentrate.

• Like 1

I think if hypnotherapy worked they'd have been using it on gay people as a forced conversion therapy?? Whereas as far as I know, they instead turned to harsher and harsher techniques (including electro shock therapy) and nothing was able to change who someone is innately attracted to and who they innately desire sex with. I just don't think anything at can change who you innately are inside 😕

Anthracite_Impreza

Hypnotherapy can't change the physical neuro-paths and structure of the brain, sorry.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere
5 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Hypnotherapy can't change the physical neuro-paths and structure of the brain, sorry.

Well, it could theoretically work for someone who isn't innately asexual. But if they accept their orientation, why should they change it? I'm with all likelihood not innately asexual, but I am effectively asexual and wouldn't want to lose my sex aversion.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Well, it could theoretically work for someone who isn't innately asexual. But if they accept their orientation, why should they change it? I'm with all likelihood not innately asexual, but I am effectively asexual and wouldn't want to lose my sex aversion.

Hypnosis can't make you do anything you aren't ok with doing anyway, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Like 3
everywhere and nowhere
Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Hypnosis can't make you do anything you aren't ok with doing anyway, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good point. But don't worry - I don't intend to try it and I already strongly suppose that I would, too, be fairly hypnosis-resistant.

• Like 1

From what I have learned about hypnotherapy from people who have taken it and from my psych department is that if you can't be hypnotized or don't believe in it then it won't work. Also you should be cautious about repressed memories. It is extremely easy for "repressed memories" to be made up sometimes accidentally by therapists suggestions. I don't think hypnotherapy is a bogus form of therapy and have heard success stories from professors, but it has a lot of issues. Usually I have heard it working with helping people with addictive behaviors so smoking, drinking, hair pulling, or OCD type behavior not sexuality. Make sure that the person performing it has actual experience in performing hypnotherapy and not just a weekend seminar that taught hypnotherapy and then there like "ya I am licensed to perform hypnotherapy". Finally like I said be cautious about repressed memories I do know those can exist but I have heard and read studies done that show that repressed memories can be easily suggestible to where you think that it happened and they actually didn't.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere
44 minutes ago, Norellia said:

From what I have learned about hypnotherapy from people who have taken it and from my psych department is that if you can't be hypnotized or don't believe in it then it won't work. Also you should be cautious about repressed memories. It is extremely easy for "repressed memories" to be made up sometimes accidentally by therapists suggestions. (...) Finally like I said be cautious about repressed memories I do know those can exist but I have heard and read studies done that show that repressed memories can be easily suggestible to where you think that it happened and they actually didn't.

Exactly. I have read about the same thing - people who started believing that they had survived some horrible trauma in their childhood when in fact no such things happened.

• Like 2

I'm actually a certified hypnotist. The question you ask is pretty complex and I don't have time, right at this moment, to give you the full answer you deserve. I will try to get a post up soon with such an answer. In the meantime if you, or anyone, has any specific questions, I'll answer them as best I can. 

• Like 2
On 12/16/2018 at 2:22 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Uh, that's not how it works. As a permanent post-sexual, nothing could bring it back.

Nope. No reason to.