Coming Out?

Agdistis

Hey, I’m new here and all but I need some advice. I’m planning on coming out to my family in a few weeks, about being agender, and some coming out stories would be very motivational for me. Any others out there?

I haven't come out and I don't plan to come out any time soon, but I have been giving them some indications. When certain discussions are brought up, I might (e.g.) tell them that sex "is not important to me" or I might tell them about the wide spectrum of people and how diverse their experience and perception on sexuality, arousal and romanticism (...) is. By doing this, I can basically unwittingly educate them about people like myself and "prepare" them if I ever intend to tell them. It won't come as much as a shock or as a strong denial by doing this. I know this isn't a motivational story, but it might still be useful.

Don't come out at night.  Don't come out in a car.

no-longer-in-use

DO NOT come out:

• When you and/or (a) member(s) of your family are stressed, tired, in a fight, sad, angry, in a bad mood, etc.
  • In public/around other people. This might cause a seen if your family doesn't take it well.
  • At night. You'll probably all be tired.
  • If you're not mostly ready. It's okay to be a little nervous, it happens to everyone, but if you're completely shaking and really don't want to come out then, don't come out then. You don't want to say later, "I wish I'd waited until I was more ready to come out."
  • If you're not prepared to explain what your identity/ies mean. Your family might not know and expect you to explain.

DO come out:

• When none of the above apply, you feel somewhat ready, you're on decent terms with your family, none of you are in a bad mood, and you're in a private place.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to debrief here afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I’ll debrief after, I think I know when I’m going to do it now. Also, Merry Christmas.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! I did it! I emailed my parents, saying how I feel. I’m to nervous to check for a reply yet but I know they’ll be supportive, I think. (I pretty much spilled my heart out in that email.)

Edit: They’re okay! It’s all okay. They’re acting slightly out of the ordinary, but everything is okay. Thanks to all of you for all of your advice/help everyone! 😊

On December 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Agdistis said:

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! I did it! I emailed my parents, saying how I feel. I’m to nervous to check for a reply yet but I know they’ll be supportive, I think. (I pretty much spilled my heart out in that email.)

Edit: They’re okay! It’s all okay. They’re acting slightly out of the ordinary, but everything is okay. Thanks to all of you for all of your advice/help everyone! 😊

Congrats on coming out! That can be such an intimidating process, especially when parents are involved, and I'm glad you were able to tell them and have everything be okay! :) 

Archived