Some recent changes to the Terms of Service: Vulgar usernames and COPPA compliance

Heart

Hello everyone. Two recent changes have been made in the AVEN terms of service. I hope this announcement helps the membership to keep up to date. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if I can help in any way.

The first is to formally include a clause against using vulgar language in usernames. This was something admods were already informally telling users not to do; we have now formalized it in the hope of more transparency and clarity. More detail is available here. Note that usernames are held to more restrictive language requirements than posts; this is because they appear everywhere on the board that a member posts, and so are less contextual than posts and other members cannot opt out of seeing them in the same way a member can opt out of seeing a post if they suspect it will contain language they do not want to see.

The second is to add in a clause about compliance with COPPA in regards to minors on the internet; again, this is something we have been enforcing but was not in the terms of service until now. No one under the age of 13 is allowed to have an account on AVEN without the explicit signed permission from their parents. If you are under 13 years of age, please get in touch with an admin in order to request the permission form, and get a legal guardian to sign for you. This law is meant to protect minors on the internet, and AVEN strives to follow this for the safety of our members and all minors.

If you have any questions about either recent change, please feel free to ask here or in a PM to any admod.

I can't speak for the team, but I think poopiehead is still tame enough ;) Go, Ficto! Live your dream! :P

2 hours ago, sh*t said:

about time those dirty names were brought to justice 

those bastards

I saw the "13" before the "under" and my heart skipped about 5 beats. I just nearly made it, haha

9 minutes ago, natural blue said:

I saw the "13" before the "under" and my heart skipped about 5 beats. I just nearly made it, haha

*high fives :D 

overturn overturn overturn

We already noticed that some "users" are tricky with a names. 

Sometimes spreading message under a certain types of names can be very confusing.

How can you take the words in comment seriously, or true, if name turns it all upside-down?

In that cases name is spamming comment and everyone who reads it, actually.  At the first sight all looks fine, but...Intention hidden.

So, we are glad that AVEN is reacting, limiting possibilities of "name-spammers".

Ms. Carolynne
15 hours ago, sh*t said:

about time those dirty names were brought to justice 

Yeah, like who the hell would even have the nerve? 😛

• 3 months later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

So....... I guess no more KillerVirus. (i'm going to see where my friend who inspired my name went, the last we spoke, they were in biology classes and now on a new term of school with virus research)

On the other hand I'm glad that this is being taken into affect, some names.....are just a bit too much. 

• 1 month later...
WünderBâhr
On 12/14/2018 at 1:29 AM, Heart said:

The second is to add in a clause about compliance with COPPA in regards to minors on the internet; again, this is something we have been enforcing but was not in the terms of service until now. 

On 3/28/2019 at 3:13 AM, chandrakirti said:

I guess anyone can pretend to be over 13...you can be anyone you want to be in digiland, right?

Just for clarification, the under 13 COPPA clause has been listed in previous versions of the registration ToS. Now, the software automatically calculates and gives the COPPA clause info to individuals who are under 13/answer truthfully about their under-13 age when registering. It just hasn't been listed on this side of the AVEN ToS, because in the long, long before times, there was less visibility among that age group for it to be something needed to be written out, post-registration.

AVEN has always taken the safety and security of its members (under 13 or not) seriously, so I see this more as a formality of business as usual. 👍

Archived