"Baby, It's Cold Outside": What Do You Think?

Back to Avalon

"Baby, It's Cold Outside"  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the song "Baby, it's Cold Outside"?

• I've never liked it
    • I used to like it but now I don't
    • Meh
    • I used to not like it but now I do
    • I've always liked it
    • I've never heard it
  2. 2. Sexual orientation: How do you identify?

• Asexual
    • Graysexual
    • Demisexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Questioning
    • Rather not say
    • Other
  3. 3. Romantic orientation: How do you identify?

• Aromantic
    • Grayromantic
    • Demiromantic
    • Heterromantic
    • Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Questioning
    • Rather not say
    • Other

24 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

Can you explain how that differs from aromantic?

Also, I included "Other" to hopefully cover anything I didn't think of.

I'm not aromantic, I'm very romantic, but I don't consider my romanticism an orientation. It's just a part of me.

7 minutes ago, Chimeric said:

I'm not aromantic, I'm very romantic, but I don't consider my romanticism an orientation. It's just a part of me.

I don't understand. I thought that who you are attracted to or not, whether romantically or sexually etc is an orientation AND a basic part of who anyone is.

1 hour ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

I don't understand. I thought that who you are attracted to or not, whether romantically or sexually etc is an orientation AND a basic part of who anyone is.

I really, really, really have a very strong aversion to labels to begin with (I only identify as "sexual" in the context of AVEN to give other folks on here an idea of my position - it's never something I would ever do out in the Real World, and ditto with my bisexuality). My romantic orientation is tied to my sexual orientation and I don't want to chop myself up into smaller bits than I have to.

I never hated or liked the song, it was more of a blah song to me. However whenever I would hear it I understood it as a woman being afraid of what everyone would think of her staying at the mans house unchaperoned and before marriage, which was frowned upon at the time. During the song she does seem to be making half hearted excuses to leave but not because she wanted to leave but because of what people would think of her if she did stay.

It's always been a slightly creepy song to me. Even when I first heard it as a little kid. I know the context and all that, but it still seems...creepy. For lack of a better word. There are a few things in the lyrics that are still problematic, no matter what time it came from. I'm not going into that, though. I don't necessarily think it's 'harmful'.

I find it funny that people are making a big deal over nothing.

i mean no one is going to question "grandma got ran over by a reindeer" but they are freaking out over this. People now in days will take things out of context for drama and it's very stupid. 

Its a classic Christmas song that people actually enjoy and they just had to ruin it 

awkward fist bump

Me

Not a fan of christmas songs in general (I don't know there's just something about them that annoys me - maybe it's that the shops where I live play them on repeat nonstop for the whole of December, making me quickly get sick of it and makes me want to rip my ears off.)

But yeah, personally that song doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy listening to whether it's "creepy" or not. So I have paid little attention to this controversy

Back to Avalon

From Late Night with Seth Meyers, here's a version of "Baby, it's Cold Outside" that avoids controversy:

https://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers/video/seth-meyers-presents-late-nights-baby-its-cold-outside-2018/3849991

I'm not fond of it and don't understand why it gets played as a Christmas song (it doesn't appear to have anything to do with any holiday at all), but I don't find it any more offensive or annoying than a whole lot of other songs that get played. So basically, meh.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile rap songs and bashment songs have way worse lyrics and are still played and allowed.

I don't have any real feelings about the song, but even if was intentionally unwholesome, it could still be written off as a "product of its time". You know, back when women were housewives and moms and that was it, more or less.

By the way, I know I've mentioned before that some Christmas songs can come off as creepy (such as how "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" could be read as a threat), but they probably don't warrant that much thought. I mean, they're mostly used as background music in stores these days.

"Put Molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it
I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain't even know it."

🙄

Heard this playing not too long ago and it didn't even get the outrage of Baby It's Cold Outside.

8 hours ago, Rhaenys said:

"Put Molly all in her champagne, she ain’t even know it
I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain't even know it."

🙄

Heard this playing not too long ago and it didn't even get the outrage of Baby It's Cold Outside.

That could be because "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is decades old and well-known, thus being a more obvious target. Or maybe people think those sorts of things are more "typical" in rap lyrics... if they even pay attention to them.

Then again, I looked up the song you're talking about (the title is "U.O.E.N.O.", by the way), and Rick Ross did get into trouble for it, including being terminated by Reebok. Maybe it just takes the "right" person to complain and start a ripple effect.

Random Human

When I was maybe 9 years old I made my parents turn off the song because the phrase "Gosh your lips look delicious" freaked me out. So that's my stance on the song 😂 

MakeupJunkie4
On 12/22/2018 at 9:57 PM, AceOfClubs said:

I find it funny that people are making a big deal over nothing.

i mean no one is going to question "grandma got ran over by a reindeer" but they are freaking out over this. People now in days will take things out of context for drama and it's very stupid.

OMG I laughed so hard at this!!! SO TRUE! 😂

J. van Deijck

tbh I couldn't care less.

Tasha the demi squirrel

I answered meh as I've never really thought about the lyrics much and just find the song a little boring although some parodies are a little funny

Having said that I can understand both sides of the argument some lyrics are a bit persistent but at the same time you could argue that the one saying NO is the one with all the power and control over the situation and the line about the drink could just indicate that the person isn't used to drinking alcohol so not used to the taste 

Archived