Help Explaining Things to Transphobes

Ace Of Bass

Calligraphette_Coe

OMG. By throwing about all these negative stereotypes and caricatures and proffering them as reasons? People who racially profile do the EXACT same thing!

As far as androgny, you know the most common reaction? It isn't what you think, despite how much you think you know, sir. Most of the time people are bowled over to learn my _age_.  And when they get my gender wrong, they don't get hostile, they get apologetic. And BTW, a lot of trans people pass perfectly, thank you very much.

See, you're not asking questions, you're doing the same thing Trump does to try to get funding for his border wall--- using exaggeration, oversimplication and stereotyping. You're hoisting the Jolly Rodger and trying to pass it off as Robin Hood.

I love the comparison to racists, and Trump. Classy.

The irony of your post is baffling, considering you are lecturing me on judgment with no basis.

Pots and kettles will be my only statement.

I will leave this alone. I am wasting my breath, plus my opinion remains unchanged regardless on how you choose to misinterpret it or twist my words.

Some in the trans movement are great at opening doors (I have learned a lot through such people). Some rhetoric keeps them closed. 

Best of luck. 

Calligraphette_Coe
6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I love the comparison to racists, and Trump. Classy.

The irony of your post is baffling, considering you are lecturing me on judgment with no basis.

Pots and kettles will be my only statement.

I will leave this alone. I am wasting my breath, plus my opinion remains unchanged regardless on how you choose to misinterpret it or twist my words.

Some in the trans movement are great at opening doors (I have learned a lot through such people). Some rhetoric keeps them closed. 

Best of luck. 

Yes, you'll make a LOT of friends in 'the movement' by using the Bearded Lady sideshow gambit. And adding children to the mix- Priceless. It's no source of wonder to most people that kids are very cruel, and if you really knew anything much about 'the movement' you'd know that kids are mavens at clocking people. If you really pass well, you can pass the 'kid test'.

But hey, it would be remiss of me to not thank you for all the strawmen you trotted out for me to torch. It's a good lesson to the reader what  they're up against.

I doubt you can ever explain to people, that there are people whom are not within there norms.

Alot of people may want to truly understand, but they are not very good at appreciating how others are different then them. Its not there fault alot of the time.

So for me, it will be very hard to explain why a person is trans.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, Calligraphette_Coe said:

If you really pass well, you can pass the 'kid test'.

I like how you focus on those who pass, ignoring those who clearly don't like they don't exist. 

Clearly there are passable transgendered people who benefit from a life undetected of social judgement. That's like a black person ignoring the persecution of others, simply because they live in a country where this isn't an issue. 

Good for you. Many of your peers aren't as lucky. 

My point is simple. A man born a man changing their sex, is still biologically a man. Vice versa with a woman. Period.

Why not embrace the differences, vs trying to gaslight others into believing you're the same?

This is why many push back. You're not the same. Get all the surgery you want.

Pushing me to agree with otherwise, is where we will forever disagree, as this then becomes a moral argument vs scientific one. 

Going on a date with a passable trans woman, only to find out she was born male getting very upset over the lie doesn't make me transphobic.

Me dumping her, is what most heterosexual males would wind up doing, upon finding out who they are with used to be a male. Bait and switch. Be trans. Own it. 

If it weren't such a big deal, why lie? 

Where we do agree, are that such people still deserve rights. Deserve the right to transition if their dysphoria is deemed persistent. 

I don't need to play pretend, to be an ally. I show respect where it's due. This is an opinion board and I will never shy away from an opinion. If that makes me too much for this website, ban me. Complain to the mods. Pressure them, that my opinion is unacceptable, even if a thread asks for it.

I honestly don't care. It won't change my opinion. If anything, it will embolden it. 

If my stance makes me transphobic, an asshole or a strawman, I will own  it proudly. 

However, science backs my opinion. You can balk at it all you wish. 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:07 AM, Calligraphette_Coe said:

But hey, it would be remiss of me to not thank you for all the strawmen you trotted out for me to torch. It's a good lesson to the reader what  they're up against.

My disagreement is strictly scientific as per other threads posted in other threads.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, andreas1033 said:

Alot of people may want to truly understand, but they are not very good at appreciating how others are different then them.

Sorry, but that's not it at all. 

Calligraphette_Coe

I know it's not verry scientific, but just _once_ I'd like to sneak into one of these Trans Deniers Think Tank symposiums with a high energy RF transmitter. So that when one of the speakers made the statement "Why would God allow transness to happen? Why?", I could key my transmitter and bleed over into their PA system with a thundering voice that said "Because you piss me off!"

Just maybe, for a few seconds, that little anti-trans program running in their minds would have a buffer overflow.....

I literally only asked people to critique my writing and this happens? 🙄

On 12/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, andreas1033 said:

I doubt you can ever explain to people, that there are people whom are not within there norms.

Alot of people may want to truly understand, but they are not very good at appreciating how others are different then them. Its not there fault alot of the time.

So for me, it will be very hard to explain why a person is trans.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, Ace Of Bass said:

I'm not trying to change any minds and explain this so people will agree with me, I'm just trying to make sure the idea i'm trying to communicate is actually understandable (i.e. that my words make sense)

Explaining myself is insurance. I'm mostly doing the survey for the purposes of seeing why transphobes think as they think. Can you critique what I said in the OP? Like does it make sense at all?

• 2 weeks later...
Artistofnoname

As long as nobody is trying to actively hurt or kill you then just leave people alone about the issue.

At this point I believe that transphobia isn't going to mean hatred of trans people but an actual fear of them because it seems as if so many these days will say you did or said something and try to ruin your life over it. Heck all you have to do is voice a different option or use the wrong pronoun (even if by mistake)  and that alone will cost you everything.

With that in mind if one group of people are constantly trying to silence another it will certainly cause more tensions and people who otherwise might have sympathized will turn in the other direction.

But then like so many other terms these days transphobia is becoming a word that could be applied to anything at all and like a sticker that you peel off an on repeatedly eventually it will lose its meaning and nobody will know what it is even if it happens in front of them. They will be burnt out and just disengage.

They seem especially vicious toward doctors and medical organizations raising health concerns over the lifestyle which to me is just giving someone fair warning that they could be hurting themselves in a way they may have never intended. Its like if I were about to step into an elevator without looking that had the bottom missing and someone shouted that out from across the hall behind me before I could do so. Of course in the end I could still not listen and take that step anyway but it could never be said I wasn't told. I could also step back and say "I'll just take the stairs then". Either way there was a choice to listen or to not listen but don't count out what someone has to say. Hear them out,think about it, and make your decision.

Calligraphette_Coe
21 hours ago, nijikazegirl said:

They seem especially vicious toward doctors and medical organizations raising health concerns over the lifestyle which to me is just giving someone fair warning that they could be hurting themselves in a way they may have never intended. Its like if I were about to step into an elevator without looking that had the bottom missing and someone shouted that out from across the hall behind me before I could do so. Of course in the end I could still not listen and take that step anyway but it could never be said I wasn't told. I could also step back and say "I'll just take the stairs then". Either way there was a choice to listen or to not listen but don't count out what someone has to say. Hear them out,think about it, and make your decision.

No one knows this better than I do-- I have a precarious medical condition with compounding causes from prenatal exposure to DES left me with congential physical anonomalies which render me particularly vulnerable to stokes and emobolisms. I survived 3 episodes already, and know I probably wouldn't survive a forth anywhere near intact. And taking hormones would likely be the tipping point. Cruel irony that the same thing that gave me the birth defects has now been thought to cause dysphoria, too.  I sometimes feel doubly trapped-- transphobic people who would see me fired from my job if I came out, and people inside the community making me feel estranged because I don't take the risks and transition or come out. That I live this in-between state that some feel hurts 'the cause' . I left one support group years ago when one particuarly nasty person kept referring to me as a queer man with feet of clay and refused to use any pronoun but 'he' for me.

I didn't ask for any of this. I have nothing but lousy choices in my attempt to salvage a productive life out of this double bind that nature handed me, and it's probably only through grace that I survived this long. But no rest for the weary, I'm always only one rightwing AM radio shock jock show away from hearing how I'm a spawn of Satan when all I want is a weather and traffic report.

And where is the justice in that?

Archived