I want to know more about trans* and have questions

AroaceScriptette

AroaceScriptette

Hey, so i am not trans but want to know more about it so thought I'd ask some questions since I have no-one irl to ask. Sorry for my ignorance and know I mean no offence, I just want to learn more.

1. What actually is dysphoria? I don't understand like at all? Is it like feeling out of place within your body? I have never experienced it so I genuinely don't know what it really is. 

2. Follow up: Is dysphoria just based of societal expectations and gender stereotypes? Like if you feel like / are a girl in every aspect except biologically, then why do you need to change your physical appearance to "fit in" as a girl? I don't really know if this is worded in the question I actually want to ask but I just don't know how to word this question so maybe just talk to me about the difference between dysphoria and gender expectations and you might answer what I actually mean 🤣

3. What is the difference between agender and non-binary? 

Again, I mean no offence and I am sorry for my ignorance. One of my friends is trans* but they don't feel comfortable answering questions like these. Other than that my only knowledge comes from Ash Hardell on youtube and the episode of Queer Eye with Skylar in. I want more people to know about my sexuality so I think its only right I learn more about other peoples sexualities and gender orientations (is that the right word?)! 

40 minutes ago, AromanticScriptette said:

1. What actually is dysphoria? I don't understand like at all? Is it like feeling out of place within your body? I have never experienced it so I genuinely don't know what it really is.

Gender dysphoria is a marked incongruence and disturbance of ones assigned sex at birth. 

It's uncomfortable to be in the assigned gender role of which society holds you upon. A feeling of wanting to break free. But you're not allowed. Because heck... It's WEIRD right?

Depression and anxiety... will contribute to make it a hell.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/04/17/the-null-hypothecis/

Is a good post about how one can approach gender dysphoria... or just being trans.

40 minutes ago, AromanticScriptette said:

2. Follow up: Is dysphoria just based of societal expectations and gender stereotypes? Like if you feel like / are a girl in every aspect except biologically, then why do you need to change your physical appearance to "fit in" as a girl? I don't really know if this is worded in the question I actually want to ask but I just don't know how to word this question so maybe just talk to me about the difference between dysphoria and gender expectations and you might answer what I actually mean 🤣

Well. Yes. Both.  Imagine a masculine guy in a dress. Because he feels like a girl. You tell me. How society responds to that currently. 

Gender stereotypes are slowly fading. But dysphoria is usually around ones body. And it's features. How they appear. And in a world where there's no gender definition. Transsexuals would still exist. 

But, gender dysphoria can also still exist as a wish to express freely on the gender spectrum. Or also, one doesn't have dysphoria, but experiences euphoria instead. When expressing themselves as the gender they are.

--

And 3.

Agender falls under the non-binary umbrella.

Anthracite_Impreza

1. Dysphoria in general is a state of unease. Gender dysphoria is a state of unease relating to your gender (no surprise there then). Basically, your brain has a body-map. If your body-map and body align you are cis, happy, no problems there. If they do not, it's like having a map to the wrong city. You have no idea where you are, why things are in the wrong place and when you do figure it out, the only thing that can solve it is getting the right map (or going to the right city, whichever works). For trans people, that usually involves transitioning in some way.

2. Nope, gender dysphoria comes from within and without. Even if everyone refers to you as the right gender, you can dress how you want, be recognised correctly, there is still a mismatch between body and brain. It bothers people to different levels, and a lot have learnt just to be miserable and cope because of transphobia. Gender dysphoria is a massive killer (suicide); it's extremely important and should be taken seriously. No clothing can ever make you forget the body you have to put up with. Every. Single. Day.

3. Agender is to non-binary as Labrador is to dog, ie. agender is a gender under the non-binary umbrella. NB can be used as a gender on its own though, depends how people identify. Agender just means you feel no gender at all, non-binary is any gender that is not strictly male or female.

:) If you're interested, there's also a "Q & A" Trans 101 YouTube series that was made by a trans Youtuber who knows Ash Hardell. Some trans Youtubers have said that the videos helped their family members and friends understand more about what it's like for them to be trans.

AroaceScriptette

Thanks everyone! I feel like I understand it a little more :) Hope I didn't come across rude or anything. 

Ms. Carolynne

1. Yeah, more or less. There are different sub categories too, some of it is more social, some more physical and personal. Really anything that doesn't match up with one's identity.

It's like being constricted by your own body, and by the social expectations based around it.

2.  Depends on the nature of one's dysphoria. Stereotypes and expectations can certainly fuel social dysphoria, if that's what you mean. Physical / body dysphoria exist mostly independent of these factors.

As for medical transition, not all transgender individuals are transsexual, so not everyone does it, nor needs to.

3. Same as others have replied.

To answer your last question the term is gender identity, not gender orientation.

As a person who identifies as agender, both of them do fall under the genderqueer/non-binary umbrella, but for me, the slight difference in between them is that non-binary is usually they/them pronouns, sort of making it a ‘third’ gender, and agender (literally meaning ‘genderless’) is a bit more open to using other pronouns (they/them or ze/zeh being among the choices), or just not using any at all. (The latter being what I do.) Which makes agender not a third gender, but merely a description for people who feel/desire to be genderless.

Just Somebody
On 12/12/2018 at 1:31 PM, AromanticScriptette said:

Hey, so i am not trans but want to know more about it so thought I'd ask some questions since I have no-one irl to ask. Sorry for my ignorance and know I mean no offence, I just want to learn more.

3. What is the difference between agender and non-binary? 

Again, I mean no offence and I am sorry for my ignorance. One of my friends is trans* but they don't feel comfortable answering questions like these. Other than that my only knowledge comes from Ash Hardell on youtube and the episode of Queer Eye with Skylar in. I want more people to know about my sexuality so I think its only right I learn more about other peoples sexualities and gender orientations (is that the right word?)! 

1 - gender dysphoria are unpleasant feelings related to someone's own ...

Gender identity are just words you feel more comfortable for whatever reasons being referred as at the moment or the box you feel more comfortable and better represented being inside as the moment.... that's it, pretty simple.

Or

Gender expression is what other people get to perceive on you (your behaviors,  your name and pronouns,  your body and biological sex,  your clothes, etc)

2 - as far as I know, there already have been societies throughout history with cultures where everybody was , lets say agender (or an other word for an non-binary gender identity, even though they may  would have no idea or care for what we're talking about ),  because they haven't created words connected to the abstract concept of gender identities (that usually appears in societies throughout history with distinct gender roles and stereotypes, and usually to justify the oppression of people with vulvas  ("bring me a sandwich,  bc you're a woman!") )....

And even in these societies i mentioned where nobody knows or care for what a gender identities are , there would still exist people who have body sex dysphoria (can we even call it that in these kind of societies ?), even though social dysphoria (specially if there's no distinctions or stigmas like social gender roles and stereotypes) wouldn't exist . Like everybody , people can feel uncomfortable about their bodies for a whole bunch of different reasons, in these societies as long as people interact with each other ,throughout culture, there would still be people who would want to have penises or be taller or be fatter or be darker, etc.

3 - non-binary is a broad umbrella term under the Transgender umbrella , which is under the gender non-conforming umbrella (gnc) , of gender identities, being agender one of those,  so no difference at all BTW the two,  but don't go around calling non-binary people agender or vice versa without asking first if you can, some people may have their reasons to not use a word at a time.

And don't worry, you did the best thing asking, politely, about what you didn't know to make your time existing in this world with people easier.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) If you're interested, there's also a "Q & A" Trans 101 YouTube series that was made by a trans Youtuber who knows Ash Hardell. Some trans Youtubers have said that the videos helped their family members and friends understand more about what it's like for them to be trans.

Ah man! I love that series! 

Archived