Can't people have their own opinion anymore?

Should people have a choice?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think people should be allowed their own opinion even if it is against something you believe in?

• Yes
    • No
    • None of my business
  2. 2. Do you think everyone should be open minded?

• Yes
    • No
    • None of my business

Hi.

So apparently their was this incident with Victoria secret and trans women. Now a comment I saw got me thinking, it went like this. "I don't support the anti-trans and fat shaming of Victoria secret BUT if they did not throw hate I would totally understand why they prefer to keep their models a specific size and height. Except for the starving part."

Now this got me thinking. Why do we need people to always be so open minded as we believe we are? I mean the moment someone says "I don't like ..." people are immediately attacked. 

I mean someone could say for example "I don't like gays." and that person has never been nasty or rude to a gay person but they get attacked for it. I mean why do we need the need to make everyone think the same. Why can't they have something they just can't like but don't hate on it.

I have a friend who is accepting of gay men but lesbians are not her strong suit. She has never said anything negative or rude about them or too them. She had an incident with a lesbian which was not pleasant so she is uncomfortable with them but never has been nasty.

I don't like religion or vegans but I have never been nasty or rude to anyone about it. I went to a religious school and as long as I didn't have it shoved down my throat no issues arose.

Why can't people dislike anything anymore?

I mean not everyone can be like everyone. How do we claim to be so open minded but we act so closed minded the next minute. 

I mean if Victoria Secret (this is an example, imagine all the crap they done doesn't exist for a few minutes) aim was tall, slim and lean women well why should I hate on them for not being inclusive. That is their aim and their company. There are millions of other companies.

This wording came out weird but I hope you get the point I was making.

Without sounding like a hashtag, but just because your friend had one lesbian be rude to her, does not follow that all lesbians are rude. Some people are just assholes, no matter what their skin colour, their gender or sexual preference. 

However, I think that disliking things for valid reasons is normal and acceptable but we are currently in a time and space where everything is on social media, everything is knee jerk and reacted to quickly. Without context, a lot of people can misunderstand what someone says, especially if its something potentially incendiary. 

Honestly, while I know you're saying Victoria's Secret is just one small example, but personally? I don't like them. They're over-priced, and while their stock does cover a range of shapes, they don't display that. Their attitude towards diversity is shitty. I go to other stores, as are a lot of other people. 

Alright. So, someone expresses their opinion. Other people are gonna express their own opinions right back.

So far, so unsurprising.

Now you, what?, advocate for these other people to, I dunno, somehow suppress their opinions, or what?

1 hour ago, smallnsparky said:

Some people are just assholes, no matter what their skin colour, their gender or sexual preference. 

I hate that we have to include everyone in a explanation now, to avoid it from being offensive, nowadays.

George Carlin had the right idea.

"Everything can be funny in the right context".

A comedian makes a joke you don't like. Is that on them, or you?

You went to their show...

Kevin Hart was pressured to step down as a host to the Oscar's due to a gay Twitter joke in the early 2000's.

I personally thought the joke was funny. Does this automatically make me homophobic? 

Or someone who appreciates a well timed punch line even if it crosses the line a little?

However people took it literally. Out of context. 

It blew out of control right after. There is always the crowd who will take it to the level of questioning his parenting or wanting to call child services on him.

What bothered me, is he was pressured to publically apologize for something that was a joke people got butt hurt over. You don't like his material, stop reading it.

Meticulously doing so looking for something offensive is something wrong with you.

Hate that he apologized as he set a precedent for anyone wanting to meticulously limit what a comedian can say.

Pressuring them to apologize each and every time they don't cater to your sensitive nature. 

I still remember one of my favorite comedians Patrice O'Neal putting a feminazi in her place on the news. 

He make a joke about a sexual act called the "angry pirate".

It was hilarious. She felt it was demeaning to women. He had to explain to her how ridiculous the act was, to where it was clear it was a joke.

You could hear the news room bursting out laughing as he broke the joke down for this idiot.

He's a legendary comedian. Hes half as funny catering to everyone who he has offended.

What happened to changing the channel if you don't like the show?

His opinions were controversial for some, but to not appreciate his comedic genius to me is the true tragedy.

4 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

What happened to changing the channel if you don't like the show?

Generation butthurt happened.

If your opinion is against popular cultural belief then prepare to get attacked.

I totally agree with you though, except I think not liking something, say gays and just not liking them is fine. However when you become homophobic or hateful and mean to them that's where I draw the line. 

People can have their own opinions and should be able to express them but not if it leads to hate, and mistreatment of what they hate.

They can hate something that much in their head, there's no need to express it.

7 hours ago, smallnsparky said:

Without sounding like a hashtag, but just because your friend had one lesbian be rude to her, does not follow that all lesbians are rude. Some people are just assholes, no matter what their skin colour, their gender or sexual preference. 

It wasn't just a rude thing. She was harassed that went on for months, sexual comments and all that. So she is not the most comfortable around them. She can't help the fact she clamps up around them. It is why she prefers not to know peoples orientation so she doesn't become uncomfortable. 

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Kevin Hart was pressured to step down as a host to the Oscar's due to a gay Twitter joke in the early 2000's.

I personally thought the joke was funny. Does this automatically make me homophobic? 

I heard about that. I was so upset because I was quite excited to see what he would have for the Oscars since I love Ellen doing them so much and Kevin is funny. Its ridicilous how people are so sensitive but yet they ask for forgiveness but wont forgive others. 

3 hours ago, Lonely Leafeon said:

If your opinion is against popular cultural belief then prepare to get attacked.

I totally agree with you though, except I think not liking something, say gays and just not liking them is fine. However when you become homophobic or hateful and mean to them that's where I draw the line. 

People can have their own opinions and should be able to express them but not if it leads to hate, and mistreatment of what they hate.

They can hate something that much in their head, there's no need to express it.

I know so many people who don't like things and are not hateful and rude but yet they get attacked while the actual rude ones get defended. 

7 hours ago, Whatsis said:

Now you, what?, advocate for these other people to, I dunno, somehow suppress their opinions, or what?

I ma saying for example I say I am fro LGBT+ rights but someone else says they are not. That does not give anyone the right to attack them and force their views on them, that doesn't make us any better then the homophobes and racists and so on.... I mean if they are not rude about it and don't call the people they dislike horrible names why must i attack them for having their own opinion. 

That second question is... odd. It's a very close-minded stance :D You could ask the biggest bigot you know and they'd say that sure, they're totally open-minded.

Unfortunately, this is the day and age where people with no life (aka keyboard warriors / SJWs) have the opportunity to make themselves feel superior simply by criticizing others. It's not about putting in an own effort nor about actually improving a situation, but merely about some form of instant gratification).

I think people have a right to express any opinions they wish, as long as those opinions do not represent an illegal threat of any sort.  That said, I think everyone has the right to form opinions about others based on what those others have said.  

So I think a person has a right to walk down the street waving a nazi flag, but I also have the right to consider them to be either a complete idiot, or an utterly evil person, and to express that opinion.

For most political opinions I try to be as open minded as possible as long as the other person's position is not directly intended to hurt others, but simply disagrees with my opinion.  So while I would not myself vote for Trump, I do not consider his supporters evil if their goals in supporting him are to make the world a better place.  I do, however, think that they are mistaken, (as opposed to evil).

This is said tongue in cheek 

"Anyone can have a different opinion, so long as they understand that I am right" 😋 😋 

10 hours ago, AwkwardSquid said:

I know so many people who don't like things and are not hateful and rude but yet they get attacked while the actual rude ones get defended. 

Yeah that's not right.

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Unfortunately, this is the day and age where people with no life

Enter 4chan... The most hateful place on the web.

28 minutes ago, Lonely Leafeon said:

Or... don't enter 4chan :D

11 hours ago, AwkwardSquid said:

I ma saying for example I say I am fro LGBT+ rights but someone else says they are not. That does not give anyone the right to attack them and force their views on them, that doesn't make us any better then the homophobes and racists and so on.... I mean if they are not rude about it and don't call the people they dislike horrible names why must i attack them for having their own opinion. 

The following is only my opinion, by the by.

People crying about being "attacked" and bitching about "snowflakes" and "butthurt" and "PC culture" just seem to me the biggest goshdarned whiners and offence takers of all. It's usually them who demand to be entirely protected from all consequences of blurting out any ill-formed ideas, complain about "fairness" to anyone who'll listen, and want to silence opposing opinions. I think it's pathetic.

11 hours ago, Homer said:

That second question is... odd. It's a very close-minded stance :D You could ask the biggest bigot you know and they'd say that sure, they're totally open-minded.

Unfortunately, this is the day and age where people with no life (aka keyboard warriors / SJWs) have the opportunity to make themselves feel superior simply by criticizing others. It's not about putting in an own effort nor about actually improving a situation, but merely about some form of instant gratification).

I am still a bit confused about the SJW. Are they trolls with a fancy name or?

9 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

"Anyone can have a different opinion, so long as they understand that I am right" 😋 😋 

Honestly that’s me at scrabble but that’s cause I can barley speak anything XD 

12 minutes ago, Whatsis said:

The following is only my opinion, by the by.

People crying about being "attacked" and bitching about "snowflakes" and "butthurt" and "PC culture" just seem to me the biggest goshdarned whiners and offence takers of all. It's usually them who demand to be entirely protected from all consequences of blurting out any ill-formed ideas, complain about "fairness" to anyone who'll listen, and want to silence opposing opinions. I think it's pathetic.

I know I am going to sound utterly stupid but PC culture? I keep seeing that but I have no idea what that is... a explanation for this dummy? 

NerotheReaper

My rule with opinions, you can have an opinion but let it be an educated one. 

abandoned-account
2 hours ago, Lonely Leafeon said:

I often like to call that place "the lower intestine of the internet".

14 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Reminds me of this t-shirt I saw:

"I have a great sense of humor, until you say something that offends me" on someone who had this murderous scowl on their faces.

Type of person that argues with a comedian at a comedy club:

"That joke isn't accurate, because the percentage is based on this book."

5 hours ago, AwkwardSquid said:

4chan?

Don't ask and don't go on it (it's a forum site where the baddest of the bad {aka REALLY mean people} hang out and make fun of others) The only good thing to come from it is the birth of many popular memes.

4 hours ago, fuzzychomper said:

I often like to call that place "the lower intestine of the internet".

Don't insult lower intestines!😉

EggplantWitch

Because 'opinions' aren't just thoughts, they affect how people get treated. You can e.g. claim that you (the generic you, not you specifically) don't like gay people and yet don't treat them any differently, but that is just categorically not true. You treat people you don't like differently than you treat people you do like. It's pretty basic stuff. And in, again, the example of gay people, you're treating them badly for something that is an inborn part of themselves that hurts no one. A world in which it's 'OK' for you to dislike gay people fosters a world in which it's OK to not care about them, in which it's OK to be apathetic to their suffering, in which it's OK to be ambivalent if they die. Not all at once - you don't just leap from dislike to genocide, it's a process that can take decades, but it's where genocide starts. In the example of Victoria's Secret only having very tall skinny models, it's creating a world in which a woman is only permitted to be seen if she is also tall and skinny. Eating disorders exist for a reason. 'Opinions' don't exist in a vacuum.

And anyway, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean anyone has to listen to it*, which is something I think all the people crying "everyone is such a butthurt snowflake these days!" don't realise. Sure, you miss the good old days when you were allowed to go around calling people trannies and fags or whatever. Go cry about it to someone who cares.

*this includes my opinion i.e. this entire post!

Archived