A Bit Lost at the Moment

Reflecting-Life

Reflecting-Life

Hi everyone,

I'm not really a newbie. But I haven't been on this site for years. I didn't feel the need or desire to be on it. It went out of my head for ages. I don't know which other forum to post in. 

I live in Ireland and I'd love to meet up with some ace people but I can't find the Irish ace meet up page on here. There used to be one but maybe it's gone.

I'm kind of questioning my sexuality or my asexuality now. When I first joined AVEN, I can remember for a while I wishing I was like people who are not ace. But I think that's because I was diagnosed autistic and I had been bullied quite badly for a couple of years. I was glad to get the autism dignosis, in fact I was relieved. However, all of that made me feel very different to everyone I knew and my probable asexuality added to that. I ended up being a combination of being isolated by my bullies and isolating myself when I was still trying to figure out who I was. I'm grand with who I am now mind you. But I'm still questioning my sexuality / aceness.

I'm one of a few things: bisexual, biromantic ace or panromantic ace or polyromantic ace. I'm still not sure which.

I'm in my late twenties so I feel like I should have it figured out by now. Maybe I'm demisexual. I really don't know. None of this has a major effect on my life but it doesn't stop me from being confused by this.    

Welcome back to AVEN!

I have Asperger's, so in that respect, I know how you feel.
But in my case, I'm fairly certain about my Aceness.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake,

ZWughhv.jpg

Reflecting-Life

Cheers MichaelTannock (may I call you Michael or do you prefer your full username?)

Yeah, they started out diagnosing me as Aspergian but I am very high functioning autistic. It's a bit confusing because apparently the diagnostic people like psychiartrists have apparently stopped using the term Asperger's now because apparently Hans Asperger experimented on autistic people and now they just use the term high functing autism. I don't know if this is true or just hear-say. It confuses me because that's what I was diagnosed as and not asperger's syndrome. Did you hear anything about that? 

6 hours ago, Reflecting-Life said:

Cheers MichaelTannock (may I call you Michael or do you prefer your full username?)

Yeah, they started out diagnosing me as Aspergian but I am very high functioning autistic. It's a bit confusing because apparently the diagnostic people like psychiartrists have apparently stopped using the term Asperger's now because apparently Hans Asperger experimented on autistic people and now they just use the term high functing autism. I don't know if this is true or just hear-say. It confuses me because that's what I was diagnosed as and not asperger's syndrome. Did you hear anything about that? 

I don't mind if you call me Michael.

And yes, I did hear about that, although I've always known it as Asperger's, so that's what I prefer.

Hi :)

Welcome back! I'm late, but I brought cake :D

minicake-11.jpg

Reflecting-Life
On 12/12/2018 at 12:07 AM, MichaelTannock said:

I don't mind if you call me Michael.

And yes, I did hear about that, although I've always known it as Asperger's, so that's what I prefer.

Yeah I prefer Asperger's too Michael

Reflecting-Life
On 12/12/2018 at 12:26 AM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) Hello, and welcome! :cake:

If you're interested, some members discussed the Asperger's revelation, in a thread, earlier this year. It was a real thing; there's a link to an interview.

The Irish Aces Facebook page doesn't seem to have been updated since 2017, but an AVEN member has just set up an asexual meet-up in Dublin.

Great. Thank you so much for the links! 

Archived