Asexual vs. Asexual Aromantic

Agent_Smith

What is the difference between these two things? I'm very confused.

As far as I understand it, asexual people lack sexual attraction but still have a romantic attraction. So for example, an asexual person wouldn't see someone and want to have sex with them, but they might have a crush/want to pursue a romantic relationship with them. Aromantic people don't have crushes or want to pursue relationships. So an asexual aromantic doesn't want to have sex with anyone, in addition to not wanting to be in a relationship with anyone. I'm sure there's more nuance to it than I've explained, but hopefully I've explained it accurately :)

Asexuals might still be interested in seeking people for romantic relationships.  Aromantics are, generally speaking, not.

I know that, but what is the difference between a romantic relationship and a friendship?

I generally consider romantic activities things like kissing, holding hands, sitting close, and touching another person more than just in a greeting or assistance.  Romantic feelings are simply the desire to do those activities.  I am aromantic and all of those activities and related feelings disgust me.

I know that, but what is the difference between a romantic relationship and a friendship?

People don't usually regularly live with, negotiate a household/finances, share beds, go out on dates, kiss/cuddle/handhold, send flowers, write Valentine's cards, share intimate secrets, have/raise kids with, etc... with their friends.  Maybe bits and pieces of that and maybe to a lesser scale, if anything.

Having sex with someone isn't the ONLY thing you do differently with a relationship partner compared to other friends, is it?

NerotheReaper

A friendship is platonic, so you might like the person as a friend but that is it. But in terms of romantic the feelings might be more intense, you might want their touch or you might feel butterflies in your stomach. (This being nervous around them). Keep in mind a lot of people experience romantic attraction on different levels of intensity. 

Archived