Should this website have a dating lounge?

Shahima

Including a dating lounge in this website  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that this website should include a dating lounge for people who are looking to date?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm good with either

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/19 at 10:00 PM

You have to admit, asexual dating websites suck. They either ask for payment to acess messages or they are plain unsafe and filled with trolls.

I believe that legally it would have to be age-restricted (and might mean all of AVEN would have to be age-restricted? And I think the age limit would have to be 18 or older? question marks, because I am not a lawyer nor an expert on the subject by any means). In any event, my answer would still be no.

No. Far too much work with very little pay off. It has been asked several times, and many times a good number of people state it would turn them away from AVEN all together as they're not interested in dating at all, or that's not why they've come to AVEN in the first place. Hard no.

RoseGoesToYale

I agree, the existing sites are none too good. I'm pretty neutral on this topic, but due to the hassle of trying to keep minors out and legal whatsuch, plus the fact that most users here are not seeking a relationship, I'd have to go with no. But if they could pull it off, I wouldn't object.

Won't happen because then this would have to become a 18+ site, which is something the AVEN bigwigs don't want.

You can still potentially form romantic connections here.  I met my eventual spouse here 4 years ago and we married this past August.  Neither of us was necessarily looking for a relationship; it just happened that way.

NerotheReaper

No, since there are users who are minors here. There can't be a dating lounge on the site for this reason. 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

No.

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

No. This is primarily and an education/visibility forum, not an aces lonely hearts club. Besides, the latter would probably cause more unneccesary drama and rubbish.

No.  In addition to the points other have raised above in this thread, there's  the probability that AVEN would be deluged with posts by people who either don't understand that it's an asexual site, or  they do understand but are excited by the possibility of "turning" an asexual.   We don't need that stuff here -- this is a place where we can be frank with each other (and a place where sexuals who are in relationships with asexuals can find info).  

No, it shouldn't for the variety of reasons already said

If you want an ace dating lounge, start an ace dating lounge subreddit. Its free, easy to setup, and easy to advertise. Otherwise, there's not a place for it here

Ms. Carolynne

No, it doesn't seem very practical.

It also concerns me who that might attract to the site, as well as the kind of behavior it may promote.

I wouldn't want anything to do with it either.

I'm going to say "yes" even though I really feel it's a no, because AVEN is the haven asexuals flock to, ( at least officially ), even if an asexual doesn't like AVEN they've most likely heard of it, or used it at some point, so I think it a good starting place. I think....since this is an asexual safe space, relationship building would be the focus, unlike other dating sites (*cough Tinder)

I would hate for AVEN to turn into Jerry Springer though.... it's such an intellectual place to come to, which is usually missing from the internet. Inevitably, I think it would turn into something trashy and unrecognizable though, which is why we shouldn't. But I understand why someone would want that.

Joe the Stoic

No.  I have a feeling it would spillover into the other fora and redefine the site.  While I wouldn't mind the site being redefined from it s current state, that's not the direction I would want.

Anthracite_Impreza

Nooooo.

everywhere and nowhere

But why should dating sites be adult-only? Dating doesn't equal sex, which aces know well enough...

10 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

But why should dating sites be adult-only? Dating doesn't equal sex, which aces know well enough...

It opens up a doorway to lots of problems I expect. What's to stop an adult pretending to be younger and trying to groom a child?

When it comes to the online world, where you've got dating sites where you basically decide "hot or not" almost always based purely on a photograph?  Yeah, it usually does.  Tinder and such got the reputation they do for a reason.

What if there was a private/hidden one?  That you had to ask permission to access so the people who don’t want it wouldn’t have to ever see it? 

I think a big big struggle for many of us who are romantic is that we feel like we can never find someone who is okay with rarely or never having sex.  If we had a place to go to talk to other people who feel the same way we do, idk we might connect with someone. 

The only dating  thing I know is ACEapp and it has like two people on it.  But real dating apps are just full of people who want to find a partner to have sex with so it’s discouraging. 

I think the idea is a good one but i also think it’s only fair to respect the people who don’t want that because their feelings are valid, too.  So I would say yes, but only if it’s hidden/private so the folks who don’t want to see it don’t have to. 

6 hours ago, Zo_E said:

What if there was a private/hidden one?  That you had to ask permission to access so the people who don’t want it wouldn’t have to ever see it? 

A difficulty would come to even trying to verify ages, even with a hidden one.

9 minutes ago, iff said:

A difficulty would come to even trying to verify ages, even with a hidden one.

It wouldn’t be any different than verifying ages on a public one, though. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Not really required here, as there are other sites for Ace daters. Anyhow, in this illusory digital age there are enough catfish out there to make any attempts at ace dating a minefield.

Nope, partly for the legal reasons already mentioned, partly because there's other sites available and partly because dating sites seem to be troll magnets 

Big fat nope

We're all pretty disclosive here on AVEN, and the picture of sleazy pick-up artists come on here trying to access vulnerable members -- of whatever age -- is disgusting.  

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

tbh I don't care either way. I'm not going to use it anyway, so just do whatever you want.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:52 AM, Shahima said:

You have to admit, asexual dating websites suck. They either ask for payment to acess messages or they are plain unsafe and filled with trolls.

like non-asexual ones. you have to pay just for messages.

Archived