"Trans-intersex", or the trans equivalent of intersex?

ace_settler86

ace_settler86

Have you ever known of anyone who identified as a "trans intersex" person or something similar? In other words, they identify as an intersex person in the body of a male or female?

Does this seems plausible to you? Any thoughts on this?

In a sense, isn't that what non binary is? Like in physically intersex people, the degrees of "maleness" and "femaleness" of a non binary person vary across the gender spectrum with whatever identities is at the center of the spectrum being a perfectly "balanced" intersex person.

I have heard that non binary people could be considered trans? If so, how would the sentence "I feel like a X trapped in a woman's/man's body" apply to a non binary person?

The only case of an intersex individual that didn't have the choice taken from them at birth that I know of was a German. They lived as neither sex their youth and when they reached their teens made the choice to go female since their characteristics went in that way, but I think they chose Female, not trans, because technically they didn't transition. Or that's how they felt about it anyway, from what I remember.

Yes, I know of a person whom is intersex, lived her life mostly male. And now is transitioning to female.

If that's what you mean? :) 

Non-binaries fall under the umbrella of transgender, so yes. 

I think what ace_settler86 is asking is whether non-binary trans people see themselves as transitioning towards being intersex in a way?

Since being intersex is kind of having a physical sex that doesn't fit either binary category (so kind of like a 'non-binary' sex), I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't use the word intersex that way.

This question has been asked before (can't find the thread now, saw it like three years ago), and an intersex person on here got angry at that question. They said something along the lines of: "No you cannot become intersex, because being intersex is a specific medical condition you're born with."

Here's a person who thought she was a trans woman, and then found out she was intersex all along, and is now confused about whether she's trans at all. It's not really what you were asking, but it is a different and interesting perspective on the matter.

Spoiler

ace_settler86
1 hour ago, St. Nyaaconix the II said:

Yes, I know of a person whom is intersex, lived his life mostly male. And now is transitioning to female.

If that's what you mean? :) 

Non-binaries fall under the umbrella of transgender, so yes. 

No that's not exactly what I meant... what I meant was, someone with a biologically male or female body who feel like they are intersex. I've heard of people who wanted to transition to intersex (somehow) and people who semi-transition and end up looking ambiguous. If non binary people were to have a "right" body I suspect it would be something in those lines.

The people at r/NonBinary for example try to make themselves look as androgynous as possible and complain about dysphoria when they don't. However, I haven't heard any of them mention they wanted both parts... but I have seen asexuals mention they'd like to have no parts at all which I suppose is another way of looking ambiguous. I don't know if those aces identifies as non binary.

ace_settler86
1 hour ago, Laurann said:

This question has been asked before (can't find the thread now, saw it like three years ago), and an intersex person on here got angry at that question. They said something along the lines of: "No you cannot become intersex, because being intersex is a specific medical condition you're born with." 

But that's like saying "No you can't become male/female, because being male/female is a specific biological condition you're born with."...

I don't think transitioning is really about becoming anything, it's about making your body match your mind/ how you feel as much as possible.

I'll check out the video.

someone nonbinary is nonbinary, not intersex. the terms just mean what they mean, there's no transintersex. there are trans people who are intersex, but there's no one transitioning to intersex, they're just called nonbinary. 

No.  "Intersex" is a state of physical being, not a gender.  Calling yourself this when you aren't actually intersex is just misappropriation, much like how it is when people call themselves a "virgin" when they've clearly had sex before.

People use "bigender" to describe this sort of thing (without stepping on the toes of actual intersex people)

Janus the Fox

Very possible, intersex is often tied to a less ambiguous genital configuration, while Trans deals with the transitioning of one gender to another, genitals do not need to be part of the transition.

I could say, dependent on actual statistics, this Trans-Intersex is more reasonably common if it is thought of in any capacity in medical texts.

I was born with a mild intersex condition, only meant that the existing penis, although small at birth, more resembled a penis than a vagina, therefore I was assigned and raised a boy.  Many years later discovering that I preferred no genital at all, or a minor preference for a vagina, means I'm Intersex and Trans, even if I'm very wide and far apart from that curve technically.  With being rather fluid in gender, there can be times that both genital sets are wanted.

Just Somebody

Intersex and trans are both adjectives , quality words that can be applied to gender identities, think of trans-cis as a system and intersex-perisex as another system.

I'll give you an example,  somebody can have have been born with an  intersex condition, has male genetic DNA  (has an Y chromosome at least) have been identified as a guy at birth and still identifies as a guy today (that being said he's cisgender) ... so that individual could identify as an cisgender-man male-intersex. 

Some places consider being trans also an intersex condition alone (the "Henry Benjamin syndrome")... even though many trans and intersex people disagree to be thrown in the same boat .

There were a few long threads about this a couple of years ago. Many of us do not support the phrasing "trans intersex" or "transitioning to intersex" because, as Philip said, intersex is a condition with a variety of symptoms/traits and not a sex in itself. Some people suggested calling the concept female/male to neutral, and some just say transitioning to gain ambigious or mixed genitalia.

Regardless of the name, I have met and heard multiple people on and off AVEN who desire this type of transition.

Archived