Testing the Waters

ParadoxGenie

Hello, my name is Jamie, and I'm 26 years old. I have known for a very long time that I was Asexual. I figured it out a long time ago around middle school, and was pretty cemented in the prospect of it by the time I was in high school. I have literally never known another asexual. I had tried to make my asexuality, work with many different kinds of sexuality (Gay/Straight/Demi/ect) but no one has stood the test of time, even after half a decade, they seem to reach a breaking point because they aren't willing to live their life without sex.

In my life time I've been in a variety of places. I've been to a one mile high school, and a city high school. I've been to community college for a year as a post secondary student (just to try college out) and been to a medical training academy to become nationally certified in phlebotomy (That I don't plan on using). I've held many different labor intensive jobs, and learned a lot of things. I've had a NDE, and have known many people that are horribly unloving. The only thing in life that has slowed me down is my own mortality, and I've been working the past two years to overcome nerve damage, and gotten pretty far considering. I have traveled hundreds of miles on my own all along the east coast of the USA, and I own three cats. Currently I've been job shopping for two months (and have been turning down jobs because of some of the horrible moral complications that were behind the scenes), but I've mostly been living in silence for about 6 months, and well figured I'd go ahead and see what was out there in a realm that I'd probably fit in at.

So please, tell me about yourself, and if there's anything similar about you that I've mentioned and if there's anything you'd like me to expand on. It's nice to meet you. :cake:

Hello and welcome to AVEN!! It's tradition to offer new members cake! asda_galaxycake__hero.jpg?1505838082

Like you I discovered I was asexual in middle school. I tried to tell my best friends at the time and the general response was ????? so I was like ya know what? Nevermind. Forget it. I literally did forget about it until early this year when it hit me again. Kind of like an ....oh yeah..... moment. But yeah. Your life sounds so wild and full and I love it!! Also cats!! Three of them!!! I love cats!! (Though I don't have one to call my own.) But yeah. Welcome to AVEN!!

4 minutes ago, RiddleMeThisTom said:

Hello and welcome to AVEN!! It's tradition to offer new members cake! asda_galaxycake__hero.jpg?1505838082

Like you I discovered I was asexual in middle school. I tried to tell my best friends at the time and the general response was ????? so I was like ya know what? Nevermind. Forget it. I literally did forget about it until early this year when it hit me again. Kind of like an ....oh yeah..... moment. But yeah. Your life sounds so wild and full and I love it!! Also cats!! Three of them!!! I love cats!! (Though I don't have one to call my own.) But yeah. Welcome to AVEN!!

Lol, yeah most kids and even adults still don't understand the term, or what it means when a kid isn't into anyone, and if I had a nickle for every time someone asked me about asexual plants. Anyways lol, thanks for the cake, I love the colors. How's your life going and what made you look around and go "oh yeah"?

Also, my cat's names are Shiek, Oreo, and Pumpkin. And the first two are big kitties, black and white but like yin and yang style, because one is mostly black with white spots and vise versa. Pumpkin is a skinny kitty but he loves hugs. I'd post a picture but I don't think I have one on this computer right now.

Thanks for being the first to welcome me! ❤️

1 minute ago, Lichley said:

Welcome! Your cats sound so cute :) 

cat-cake-funny.jpg

That picture is so cute it could kill me. ❤️ ❤️

Thank you! Oreo got rightfully named, because he turned out to love food with a passion of all kinds. Sheik got rightfully named as well, because he is the king of the house, and what he meows goes lol. And Pumpkin is my little pumpkin, poor little guy with the most manners, intelligence, and love. Do you have any pets?

10 hours ago, ParadoxGenie said:

Lol, yeah most kids and even adults still don't understand the term, or what it means when a kid isn't into anyone, and if I had a nickle for every time someone asked me about asexual plants. Anyways lol, thanks for the cake, I love the colors. How's your life going and what made you look around and go "oh yeah"?

Also, my cat's names are Shiek, Oreo, and Pumpkin. And the first two are big kitties, black and white but like yin and yang style, because one is mostly black with white spots and vise versa. Pumpkin is a skinny kitty but he loves hugs. I'd post a picture but I don't think I have one on this computer right now.

Thanks for being the first to welcome me! ❤️

I've never gotten the plant jokes/questions/statements yet. 😂 I'm sure they'll come eventually though.  Life's crashing and burning but that's a tale for another time. XD I don't remember what caused me to have the "oh yeah" moment. I think I was just questioning my whole romantic life in general one day and a little voice in my head went AYYYYYYYYYYSEXUALLLLLLLLL  'oh yeah' and the rest is history. Your cats sound so cute!!!!!!!!! I want to give Pumpkin all the hugs💚  

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for signing up and sharing a bit about yourself! Wow, that sounds like quite a ride :D you've ended up at the right place! AVEN is a great community with lots of friendly and supportive folks from all over the planet. I'm sure you'll like it here! Many of us will be able to relate to your experiences when it comes to sex and romance... you're definitely not alone!

You might want to kick things off by checking out Questions About Asexuality. Not only is it a great spot with lots of information in one place, but new people and their perspectives are always welcome to share their thoughts! You might also be interested in Asexual Relationships, which is where we talk about how being asexual (or somewhat close to that) affects our everyday relationships, be them familial, platonic or romantic. If you just want to hang out and talk or play a game, Just For Fun is for you :)

Take your time to explore the forums and to get to know everyone! See you around :)

carrot-cake.jpg

Welcome to AVEN!

I realised that I'm Asexual in my early teens, around 14 when I started hearing sexual comments from my peers and in media and found they bewildered me.
I studied physics, mathematics and art in college, and I've put what I've learned to use in game development.

ZWughhv.jpg

15 hours ago, ParadoxGenie said:

That picture is so cute it could kill me. ❤️ ❤️

Thank you! Oreo got rightfully named, because he turned out to love food with a passion of all kinds. Sheik got rightfully named as well, because he is the king of the house, and what he meows goes lol. And Pumpkin is my little pumpkin, poor little guy with the most manners, intelligence, and love. Do you have any pets?

I wish. I can’t even keep plants alive, and with my household there’s too many people in and out at all hours to properly take care of them. 

18 hours ago, Chocolatedevil00 said:

Welcome, would you like some cake?

Thank you so much!

11 hours ago, RiddleMeThisTom said:

I've never gotten the plant jokes/questions/statements yet. 😂 I'm sure they'll come eventually though.  Life's crashing and burning but that's a tale for another time. XD I don't remember what caused me to have the "oh yeah" moment. I think I was just questioning my whole romantic life in general one day and a little voice in my head went AYYYYYYYYYYSEXUALLLLLLLLL  'oh yeah' and the rest is history. Your cats sound so cute!!!!!!!!! I want to give Pumpkin all the hugs💚  

I can bring the garden hose around to help with the burning part lol. If you ever want to talk, I'm always free and usually not around until late at night. lol I love the Ayyysexual bit. lol And you are welcome to give pumpkin all the hugs, I warn you though, once he knows he can lay or stay on you, he's like a monkey, he'll stay on your shoulders, or do whatever he has to for as long as he can. ❤️

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for signing up and sharing a bit about yourself! Wow, that sounds like quite a ride :D you've ended up at the right place! AVEN is a great community with lots of friendly and supportive folks from all over the planet. I'm sure you'll like it here! Many of us will be able to relate to your experiences when it comes to sex and romance... you're definitely not alone!

You might want to kick things off by checking out Questions About Asexuality. Not only is it a great spot with lots of information in one place, but new people and their perspectives are always welcome to share their thoughts! You might also be interested in Asexual Relationships, which is where we talk about how being asexual (or somewhat close to that) affects our everyday relationships, be them familial, platonic or romantic. If you just want to hang out and talk or play a game, Just For Fun is for you :)

Take your time to explore the forums and to get to know everyone! See you around :)

I have loved it here so far, even though I've mostly just read than posted lol. :) Thanks for the advice on where to go. Hope to see you around as well!

8 hours ago, MichaelTannock said:

Welcome to AVEN!

I realized that I'm Asexual in my early teens, around 14 when I started hearing sexual comments from my peers and in media and found they bewildered me.
I studied physics, mathematics and art in college, and I've put what I've learned to use in game development.

Yeah, I literally had to study the offhanded jokes so I could get a one up on my peers rather then going ??? when they made them lol. And Sounds like you've applied yourself in some good fields there. I used to love doing digital art, and I went as far as trig before I got my first B and was like, naaahhh, on going farther lol. I've always liked the sciences as well, but I never went into them. I'd love to see your ambitions projects though! I've only half heartedly made games on rpg maker before lol. I've only ever been a one person team though, do you get to work with people, or do you do it on your own?

4 hours ago, Lichley said:

I wish. I can’t even keep plants alive, and with my household there’s too many people in and out at all hours to properly take care of them. 

I recommend a snake plant. You only have to water it once every 2 weeks if that. It'll make you feel better, and is known to clean the air.

8 hours ago, ParadoxGenie said:

Yeah, I literally had to study the offhanded jokes so I could get a one up on my peers rather then going ??? when they made them lol. And Sounds like you've applied yourself in some good fields there. I used to love doing digital art, and I went as far as trig before I got my first B and was like, naaahhh, on going farther lol. I've always liked the sciences as well, but I never went into them. I'd love to see your ambitions projects though! I've only half heartedly made games on rpg maker before lol. I've only ever been a one person team though, do you get to work with people, or do you do it on your own?

I've worked with two teams, the first being the Crowbar Collective, and the second being PSR Digital.
With the first team, I helped create Black Mesa, which is a recreation of the game Half-Life, on the game engine of Half-Life 2.
With the second team, I helped create Black Mesa: Hazard Course, which is a recreation on Half-Life's Hazard Course.
I'm now helping as part of PSR Digital to recreate Half-Life: Decay, calling it Peer Review, and you can see our proof of concept here as a ten-minute video,

17 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

I've worked with two teams, the first being the Crowbar Collective, and the second being PSR Digital.
With the first team, I helped create Black Mesa, which is a recreation of the game Half-Life, on the game engine of Half-Life 2.
With the second team, I helped create Black Mesa: Hazard Couse, which is a recreation on Half-Life's Hazard Course.
I'm now helping as part of PSR Digital to recreate Half-Life: Decay, calling it Peer Review, and you can see our proof of concept here as a ten-minute video,

That's pretty cool, it looks very clean cut. Looks like you guys just posted that video too lol. Must of taken awhile!
I actually haven't played Half-Life, and usually avoid shooters because even though I play them well, I can only stand them for a short period of time because they all usually feel exactly the same and have very little difference in sights and play. But your video make me nostalgic to a mix of other games I've played, enough to want to play what you guys are working on lol. I really like that it has a contained co-op. I wish I had more to say. I hope it goes viral! ❤️

1 hour ago, ParadoxGenie said:

I can bring the garden hose around to help with the burning part lol. If you ever want to talk, I'm always free and usually not around until late at night. lol I love the Ayyysexual bit. lol And you are welcome to give pumpkin all the hugs, I warn you though, once he knows he can lay or stay on you, he's like a monkey, he'll stay on your shoulders, or do whatever he has to for as long as he can. ❤️

Thank you! That really means a lot to me. I'll remember that when it's like 2am one day and I'm vibrating from caffeine, anxiety, and stress. Gotta bring the hose because the tiny house fire has turned into a wild fire. 😂 asdfghjklkcjsbdkfjhsdkjdkfjskdjnkajsndfknknPumpkinsoundssocute!! I've never seen or played with a cat that was that clingy, if you will. The ones I've encountered were standoffish, as is the cliche I guess. i would legit let him climb on my shoulder like a friggin bird any time he felt like it. What a wonderful little beast. 13/10 He has my heart. 

@RiddleMeThisTom

Lmao That's the spirit! Douse those flames one poorly water pressured sprinkle at a time. lol

And omg, you don't even need to give him permission, if you are bent over to pick something up, or even if he is up high and has a good shot, he will go for it, and if you move too quickly to not allow him, he will give the meow of 'awwwwww'. He's smart too, he learns words like no, down, wet food, lol. He talks back and let's you know what he's thinking. If he knows something is wrong or you don't seem like you are with it, he will literally come up in front of you and put both his paws on both your shoulders and do head rubs until you snap out of it. Best friend anyone could ask for. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

2 minutes ago, ParadoxGenie said:

@RiddleMeThisTom

Lmao That's the spirit! Douse those flames one poorly water pressured sprinkle at a time. lol

And omg, you don't even need to give him permission, if you are bent over to pick something up, or even if he is up high and has a good shot, he will go for it, and if you move too quickly to not allow him, he will give the meow of 'awwwwww'. He's smart too, he learns words like no, down, wet food, lol. He talks back and let's you know what he's thinking. If he knows something is wrong or you don't seem like you are with it, he will literally come up in front of you and put both his paws on both your shoulders and do head rubs until you snap out of it. Best friend anyone could ask for. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Oh my word, you do have the best friend anyone could ask for!! What a sharp cat!!!! I'm totally here for it. Just picturing a cat using a bent-over human as a springboard is comedy gold.

8 hours ago, ParadoxGenie said:

That's pretty cool, it looks very clean cut. Looks like you guys just posted that video too lol. Must of taken awhile!
I actually haven't played Half-Life, and usually avoid shooters because even though I play them well, I can only stand them for a short period of time because they all usually feel exactly the same and have very little difference in sights and play. But your video make me nostalgic to a mix of other games I've played, enough to want to play what you guys are working on lol. I really like that it has a contained co-op. I wish I had more to say. I hope it goes viral! ❤️

Thank you!

Half-Life, the original game, hasn't aged well visually in the twenty years since it was released back in 1998, but there's a reason it has game of the year awards from over fifty international publications, its gameplay is superb.

Archived