Am I Aromantic

ChloeBanana

I have never had real feelings for anybody (as in crush wise) and I've only recently started to think about it. Through out my time at primary and secondary I've only had like three relationships and two I ended because I just didn't feel anything for them. I subconsciously force myself to have a "crush" on someone so that I don't seem different to my friends. If I'm told that somebody likes me I will say that I just like them back in the hopes that maybe I'll have feelings for them but I don't. If I'm ever asked during a game of truth or dare "Who do you have a crush on" or "Who in our year would you date" then I'll just say the name of the guy or girl that people are talking about the most because they're fresh in my head. I used to say nobody and they would tell me I was lying and not playing the game right and I would be forced to take the forfeit. But sometimes they would be catty and if I told them a name then they would mock me for it and once or twice even told that person I liked them when I didn't. (btw I'm not friends with most of them now). 

I want to know if there is something wrong with me or if I'm just Aromantic/Asexual?

That sounds to me like pretty solid evidence for aromanticism. I know that when I was growing up, there were at least four people I convinced myself I had crushes on, because I felt like people just had crushes, and so I needed to have one too. I've also heard a lot of other aromantic people saying the same sorts of things you are; especially how when asked who they had a crush on, they'd just pick someone arbitrarily to satisfy whoever was asking.

Nobody but you can really define your identity for you, but to me it sounds like aromantic would be a pretty safe bet. However, I just want to say that however you may choose to identify, there's nothing 'wrong with you' for not feeling romantic attraction.

Archived