What's the Difference with Gynsexual and Finsexual?

404_DeletedAccount

404_DeletedAccount

They seem the same, besides the fact gynsexual will involve vaginias or boobs, but otherwise are pretty much the same.

Is there any difference? Is Finsexual more appropriate? Is Gynsexual a more offensive word? 

besides the fact gynsexual will involve vaginias or boobs

If that's the assumption people make, they're not well informed and they're basing it purely on what a gynecologist does.

Gyne- simply means referring to women/female.  The counterpart being andro- which refers to men/male.

It's why "androgynous" means what it does; it's someone displaying physical characteristics of both sexes (and not necessarily "sexual" characteristics; usually it's NOT sexual characteristics, but rather more innocuous things like hair, attire, body build, etc.) to the point where it might be visually unclear which sex they are.

From what I've heard is the gynesexual has a history with transphobic associations, with some people identifying that way being interested only in cis-women. That said, I know some people, and maybe the majority, who use the term have a broader definition that includes attraction to trans women as well, but it's off putting to some transwomen. 

All that said, I'm not an expert and I'm not going to tell you what to use, just bear that in mind.

I hadn't heard of finsexual before. It does sound like it was set up as an alternative that refers to attraction to to women regardless of whether they're cis or trans.

Gynesexual/romantic pretty much just means, as far as I know attracted to women or femininity regardless if their cis, trans or gender identity.

I've never heard of finsexual either.

Honestly the best term to use of "gynophilia" because the "-sexual" prefix often makes it out to be fetishizing women or "traditionally feminine body parts" (vaginas, vulvas, enlarged breasts, etc.). 

Honestly the best term to use of "gynophilia" because the "-sexual" prefix often makes it out to be fetishizing women or "traditionally feminine body parts" (vaginas, vulvas, enlarged breasts, etc.). 

This is not a problem that heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, pansexuals, and asexuals typically face despite also having the -sexual suffix.  You sure that's a real problem?  Even if it was, I'm not sure referring to it as a "philia" necessarily alleviates the issue of fetishization, but probably rather makes it worse.

-philia doesn't necessarily indicate a sexual orientation either, whereas -sexual makes that distinction pretty clear.

404_DeletedAccount

@Philip027 - When I first looked it up, it said it was attraction to femininity, vaginias, or boobs. So I thought maybe that was a difference with those two. Thank you for your response and clearing any confusion!

@TameOne - I heard that too and didn't know why it was bad. I thought maybe finsexual was created so the one considered bad could be forgotten in a way. They seem to have the same definition. Thank you for your response!

@Una Salus Victus - Finsexual means attaction to feminity, so pretty much the same as gynsexual. 

• 2 weeks later...
404_DeletedAccount

Okay, if anyone sees this, I think I found the difference. I'm working on a chapter for it, I just gotta do the attraction to masculinity part and see if it's all correct. (:

Archived