Kundalini

Not sure this entirely fits into the category since it is generally considered a spiritual concept not a philosophical one, but I wasn't sure where else to put it...

So. Kundalini energy. Does anyone else here believe in it/experience it whether they believe in it or not?

Sometimes characterized as a sexual energy, I believe it is not necessarily so, although it can manifest in that way.

An experience I've had with it can be found in the fourth paragraph of my post here basically describing how I have experienced what seems to be nonphysical, psychic 'energy' sex that does not include physical attraction or even mental attraction really since it is experienced as a non-duality, there is nothing to be attracted to. Really quite different from what is normally called 'sex' to the point that maybe it is something entirely different. I don't know what to call it; there is no word for it in the English language.

This, amongst many many other bizarre experiences and generally sensing that it is there is the reason I pretty much accept the existence of kundalini energy as reality. Don't know what the explanation is, but that is closest thing I have found to describing what I experience.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

This is what ultimately led to me disrobing as a Buddhist nun. In Tibetan Buddhism, the Kundalini principle is used in meditation, to speed the road to enlightenment-that's the party line.

It was only when I discovered that a goodly proportion of the nunnery had struggles with celibacy and I sailed through that part (and couldn't get this energy going to aid my Tantric meditation) , that I started to question if I had any sexual energy at all- and of course, I haven't. Then I came here!

On 12/3/2018 at 2:52 AM, chandrakirti said:

and couldn't get this energy going to aid my Tantric meditation

By 'this energy', do you mean kundalini? Because as I stated, I don't think it is necessarily sexual. I think that's one of it's many potential outlets. For me, instead of typical sexuality, it seems to result in bizarre psychic experiences. I don't know why. Maybe I was a normal allosexual in a past life and now it is manifesting differently?

My guess is that it has something to do with me being physiologically abnormal without going into too much detail, my outer parts are pretty well numb and  can't have a normal sexual response, in addition to not feeling attraction to other people's bodies. I am also neuroatypical. It seems like there's something intrinsic about me that prevents it from being able to be expressed sexually the way it is in most people. I've been trying to understand why that is for many years now, and I don't have an answer.

So you are saying you don't sense kundalini in any way, such as feeling strong energy fields coming out of your crown or third eye chakras?

Even without sex, I can definitely 'feel' the wheels turning, clogging, aligning, and clearing in various ways throughout the day, sometimes more than others. It can be pretty hard to ignore. I think I had an unprepared for kundalini awakening around the age of 18 due to psychedelic use and using artwork as a form of consciousness raising...I became quasi-insane for a while and this is when I really started to feel the kundalini all the time.

There is an interesting post from a guy who claims he 'transformed' his former sexual energy into come kind of nonsexual form of (kundalini?) energy and he thinks it made him a happier person. Not sure if it counts as asexuality or not? I think sexuality can be fluid so I would think it counts. In any case, I think it's interesting and kind of gives weight to the theory that kundalini is not necessarily a sexual energy and that it can manifest in different ways.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@alienanteater, I now treat stuff like this as do with any other religion - not for me. I wouldn't know one end of a chakra from another.. not that I didn't get loads out of the mindfulness meditation-and still do. 

5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@alienanteater, I now treat stuff like this as do with any other religion - not for me. I wouldn't know one end of a chakra from another.. not that I didn't get loads out of the mindfulness meditation-and still do. 

I didn't think kundalini was so much a religion in itself , but a concept that is part of some religions like hinduism and buddhism. Who knows, though. Coincidentally, my brother said some one just accosted him and public yesterday to tell him that kundalini was his personal higher power lol. I don't know why he had to tell everyone that, but anyway....

It's good you were able to get something out of the meditation, though. I've always wanted to go further with sitting-based meditation, but I always just end up feeling...absent minded? Unmotivated in my everyday endeavors? I don't really understand why I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Maybe there's something I'm missing? Or it's just not for me? So far I've only been able to get good results out of meditative states that involve more action, like painting, dancing, tai chi, etc.

By unmotivated I mean unmotivated to do stuff that I need to do like chores and unmotivated to even help others, as well as unmotivated to pursue stuff that's more of a want than a need. I guess the second outcome is an intended outcome of meditation? but I'm pretty sure that first outcome isn't supposed to be so it isn't for me or there's something I'm missing

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to whether this sort of energy/spirit power etc. 

Personally I'd take a lot of convincing that it's not a load of tripe 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@alienanteater by what you say, the meditation is having the opposite effect than it was designed to have.  By doing simple breathing meditation , deep concentration should develop. a bit like using a muscle till it grows bigger. 

Probably a lot of the problems I have in my work life are because I come in, exchange pleasantries and then concentrate on the task for a full day . I have colleagues with the attention span of an ant, sugar addictions and can only manage a few minutes at it before having to break into meaningless chat. Nobody seems to like silence.

Not saying that in a 'holier than thou'  way though, just aware that sometimes the paths taken in life can permanently separate us from the mundane. I can never in in 'society' again, with all its meaningless shallow stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, Sleighcaptain said:

Personally I'd take a lot of convincing that it's not a load of tripe 

Me, too....I had really powerful experiences, hard, physical empirical evidence in abundance that I can't ignore that other skeptical people have also observed and been completely baffled/disturbed by, so I know it's not just me. But I can completely understand why someone without those experiences would be so skeptical. But as

On 12/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, chandrakirti said:

Not saying that in a 'holier than thou'  way though, just aware that sometimes the paths taken in life can permanently separate us from the mundane. I can never in in 'society' again, with all its meaningless shallow stuff.

sometimes I wish it was a more common experience and/or belief (not really the same thing exactly) so that I didn't feel completely alienated by my experiences. Like asexuality, its an experience that not a lot of people want to validate, so it can make you feel kind of oppressed in a weird way, like your feelings are invalid, even though you know what you've experienced. Its not an exact analogy but it is a seemingly rare experience that can make you feel kind of alienated.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, Vårin said:

I often feel this tingling sensation in the lower part of my body when thinking of things totally unrelated to sex. Usually it is just that I am excited for a creative project. Anything to do with "mystery" and "surprise" really. This feeling is one of the easiest to awake in my body and what drives me to explore things.  Last week I was visualising something really mysterious happening and It resulted in me feeling "electric for over an hour. Donno if I consider that mystical, but it was certainly one of the funniest things that has happened to me this year. It felt like my whole body was tingling with excitement. But a calming excitement if that makes sense. Similar to the feeling I have when I am getting a massage.

The only strange thing that happened was that my cat for some reason was REALLY attracted to me. A bit more then usual. There was this magnetic pull between me and him. I could feel it. I would take my hand up and then feel how the space between my hand and his head was "charged". I remember thinking: Wicked! If this is my imagination I am to happy to care right now. XD This experience reminded me of the time (last year)  when I used to dance a lot (it was a kind of meditation to me). My cat would always come and watch. Did not feel this magnetic pull then, but I was weird to me how fascinated he seemed by my movements. Whenever I was really happy and dancing, he found me. Then he just stood there with this calm transfixed expression on his face. XD

This exactly the kind of phenomenon I am talking about. I sometimes wonder if these experiences are very common and people are either conditioned to ignore them/write them off or scared to talk about it for fear of the social consequences. It's obviously not something you would want to talk about with any person, but most of the people I've tried to mention it to seemed curios but also baffled. It seems to me cats have heightened psychic awareness. I say this because cats seem very affected by my state of mind and thoughts if I am near them. I had a cat absolutely freak out just sitting next to me when I was tripping. (by freak out, I mean he started acting really bizarre in a way I have NEVER observed a cat behave before and only did it when I sat next to him tripping. same cat was fine when I was sober) They also sometimes seem to stare at 'energy bodies' and 'spirit beings/entities' that I/other people also sometimes see and follow their movements around closely with their eyes. Seems dogs and other animals also may have this trait but it seems more common and pronounced for cats, generally speaking.

Archived