Oriented AceAro

Flute16

So I've heard people use the term "oriented aroace." What exactly does that mean? Doesn't saying you're aroace mean you have no orientation towards any gender/sex?

For me personally, this terminology makes enough sense. There's somewhat of a larger debate on this swirling around, but my take on it has always been pretty simplistic: my view is that AroAce is the orientation that describes the state of otherwise having no orientation, i.e. not experiencing romantic or sexual attraction to any gender/sex. This does, in itself, describe a valid orientation and so I've always felt the label was appropriate. My go-to analogy for this is that zero is just as much a number as any other number. Declaring that zero doesn't count as a number and should instead just signify the lack of any other number doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I tend to apply the same thinking here. Again, other viewpoints are also available.

I haven't really read up on this, so I could be completely wrong, but I kinda figured that it was about other forms of attraction. Like, maybe you experience aesthetic attraction towards one gender more intensely, or if you want to be in a queer platonic relationship and have gender preferences there.

Orientated used that way seem a little weird. I would use hetero-orientated as a catch-all term for anybody that can be considered straight by as many definitions as possible, and other variants of those. I wouldn't use orientated hetero.

Anthracite_Impreza

Just because you aren't oriented romantically or sexually, doesn't mean you aren't oriented sensually, platonically or aesthetically. I am, though it's more obvious with me since I'm oriented in an 'unusual' way.

• 2 weeks later...
A-spec-inthe0cean

I've been doing a little reading up on this, I honestly think it's a great label especially if you feel other types of attraction toward certain people/ a person or certain gender/s, it makes you feel validated, it makes you feel like you're not some fraud who is just using and hiding behind the aroace labels because (as exclusionist would say) 'you just haven't come to terms with/or been able to come to come to terms with ur sexuality'

On the subject of exclusionist, this could be subject to a lot of flack from exclusionist, which could potentially be very hurtful to orientated aroaces. They would say exactly that, belittling people for having 'not come to terms with their sexuality yet' or claim that they are too young and confused to know, or challenge how a person can be both asexual, aromantic and another allosexual label at once.

I have been considering this using this label for my self, and how it might fit, for a few days but I have found 3 main blocks for using this label on myself, the first is summed up by the previous paragraph, another is I haven't done much research into this identity yet so I could be wrong, and thirdly it makes me uncomfortable even thinking that people in my life might think I was in a sexual relationship, and if u where to say I said I was an aroace lesbian/ gay aroace woman, the fact that most people would skip over the aroace part as they don't know what it means, and think I'm lesbian- subconsciously thinking I was in a sexual relationship with a potential QPP makes me REALLY uncomfortable! 

finding no way around this, im going to have to not use this label- at least for now anyways.

-btw I have literally no problems at all with lesbians or gay people, or any other label for that matter! (Except MAPs)

[I found this post really helped me understand it a bit better summing it up very well in my opinion]

Wolf_Dragon303

The only other reason I could find for using orientated aroace is if you’re using aroace as an umbrella term, eg you may be lithsexual for females, but you just say you’re a gynosexual aroace 

Archived