A-romantics, gray-romantics, and romantic movies

Flute16

4 Aromantics, do you like romantic movies?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Romantic movies, yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

So I was just watching a romantic holiday movie on Netflix, and I am curious - do any aro/gray-aro people like romantic movies? 

I like them, as long as I can separate myself from the characters getting romantic. 

Tasha the demi squirrel

I'm Aroflux which I think counts as "in the grey area" And for me it depends on either my mood at the time or the plot of the film.........sometimes I'll see a romance scene and think it's sweet other times I'll think it's unnecessary and want to get back to the plot of the film 

Anthracite_Impreza

No, I find them incredibly dull.

Romance is ok if it's not the sole focus of the film.  If there is nothing else engaging going on then I'd rather watch a blank screen!

I may or may not fit the subset of people you're asking this question of, but I generally dislike traditionally romantic movies, especially the hideously termed "rom com."

Philosophically I disagree with the western cultural obsession and idolization of the romantic (and therefore, in movies at least, sexual) relationship as the apex, the only significant relationship in life. There is some token effort to picture relatives as significant, but even there you often have a spouse (so a heterosexual/heteronormative romantic/sexual relationship) and children (products of same) that at the same time idolizes the traditional nuclear family - something else I philosophically disagree with.

Outside philosophical objections, "rom coms" are boring, narratively unimaginative and often badly written in a screenplay sense. They are all one formula, tweaked ever so slightly to sell the disastrous idea of a "happily ever after" based on pinning one's happiness entirely one one romantic partner.

Archived