New Research Explores Intersections Between Gender and Asexuality!

Pramana

There's a new qualitative research article that explores intersections between gender and asexuality, covering masculinity, femininity, and gender non-conformity. Here's the abstract:

"In this article, I explore the intersections between gender and asexuality, drawing on data collected from in-depth interviews with 30 asexually-identified individuals living in the United States. I examine the differential effects that gendered sexual norms have on asexually-identified men and women and begin to explore the relationship between asexuality, gender non-conformity, and trans identities. Based on these findings, I argue that while white, middle-class asexually-identified men may live in greater conflict with dominant gendered sexual norms than white, middle-class asexually-identified women, the sexual autonomy of these asexually-identified men – specifically their right to refuse sexuality – may be greater than the sexual autonomy of these asexually-identified women."

Gupta, Kristina. “Gendering Asexuality and Asexualizing Gender: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Intersections Between Gender and Asexuality.” Sexualities 0, no. 0 (2018): 1-20.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:48 PM, Pramana said:

Based on these findings, I argue that while white, middle-class asexually-identified men may live in greater conflict with dominant gendered sexual norms than white, middle-class asexually-identified women, the sexual autonomy of these asexually-identified men – specifically their right to refuse sexuality – may be greater than the sexual autonomy of these asexually-identified women.

I would argue if a woman is asexual, but still dresses in a normative 'sexy' way, she will not experience greater conflict with dominant sexual norms, but if she dresses in a way that is not the heternormative standard of attractive or sexy as an expression of her asexuality, she will be subject to more conflict than a man in the form of bullying or just plain rejection/ostracization. I don't have definitive proof, but that was my experience before I transitioned to male. It's still not the easiest thing in the world being asexual, but at least I don't have to pander to male gaze for people to treat me like I'm worthy of existing.

Then again, if a man dresses in a way that is not the heteronormative standard by wearing girl's clothing, that's probably even worse but at least he isn't forced to sexualize himself on principle to be treated with decency the same way as if he were female....again just my experience.

A lot of people reject a woman's autonomy to refuse sex whether they are asexual or not. It's very sad.

I'm very glad there is more research coming out on asexuality, though. Maybe public validation isn't so far off/impossible.

Also, not sure what the average of the participants is, but there may be a generational component to it since woman are much more expected to objectify themselves now than in a few decade past.

Archived