Weirdest Video Games you can Remember

Gizamaluke

44 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I recall playing the 1991 video game Lemmings, where the premise was that you had to guide a line of anthropomorphic lemmings through a serious of obstacles, a task that required sacrificing some lemmings in order to save the rest.

I didn't know it at the time but that game was actually Scottish.

8 hours ago, Pramana said:

I recall playing the 1991 video game Lemmings, where the premise was that you had to guide a line of anthropomorphic lemmings through a serious of obstacles, a task that required sacrificing some lemmings in order to save the rest.

There’s a Simpsons game kind of like this, but you play as Krusty the Clown, and you have to guide an army of cartoon rats into a trap.

4 minutes ago, RoonalWaslib said:

There’s a Simpsons game kind of like this, but you play as Krusty the Clown, and you have to guide an army of cartoon rats into a trap.

Aaagh... The music is worse than I remember...

RoseGoesToYale

"The Stanley Parable". You play first person as an extremely boring office worker named Stanley, who's coworkers have all suddenly vanished, and you go to "investigate" while a very cheeky British narrator narrates everything you're doing. There's some trippy stuff in there...

9 hours ago, Pramana said:

I remember playing that game!

It kinda bothered me, all those little Lemmings falling to their deaths. What a great idea for a kids game... 🙄

The game anticipation for Nintendo entertainment system in the 80s scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. In the game super Mario 64 it creeped me out that when Mario was supposed to bring the baby penguin to his momma you could have Mario toss the baby penguin off the cliff. 

11 hours ago, fuzzychomper said:

@Gizamaluke I believe it was also developed by the same folks who went on to make the Grand Theft Auto series. Another random fun fact. 

And it came from a challange in who could do a walking animation with the fewest pixels. And then they did a game out of that animation.

Spoiler

LSD: Dream simulator for the playstation 1 was pretty strange. With a title like that, I didn't expect anything less. There are at least two more that I can think of, but I can't remember their names.

Ms. Carolynne

I thought of another one, Glover. Not the weirdest game ever, but still kind of strange.

I actually found the game unsettling as a kid. Something about the art style and level designs made me uncomfortable.

Already been mentioned, but Katamari Damacy has to rank pretty high up there for me.  It's pretty much the sort of thing only Japan could come up with.

Prufrock, but like, worse

I love everything about this. I love the incredibly clumsy way they pasted in the religious stuff. I love that you can hold down H to immobilize the enemies for no downside except that it makes an annoying sound. I love that the chickens are purple and you just have to deal with that. I love how the game's idea of heroism is running into a new species of birds, kidnapping them all and blowing up their home. I love the gigantic complexity spike on level 5 that the game never (?) reaches again (I remember getting to level 20 or so as a kid). I love that this game made me think that "deplenish" was a word for years. I love that certain points in this Christian video game incentivize or outright force you to commit suicide.

Katamari Damacy Reroll just was released today, anyone else playing it?

Tomba

It was about this pink haired kid that threw pigs around, and there was this really hard level with these creepy flowers that either made you laugh hysterically or cry hysterically. He also "ate" the inventory...so everything came out of his stomach? So weird....

11 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

Tomba

It was about this pink haired kid that threw pigs around, and there was this really hard level with these creepy flowers that either made you laugh hysterically or cry hysterically. He also "ate" the inventory...so everything came out of his stomach? So weird....

That must be a dream, I can't even fathom who could have published that idea.

All the hentai games I've ever come across are weird. There's one with a guy who discovers his d has a mind of it's own and is a fully functioning little human.

ozzythefabulous

Jazzpunk is one of the weirdest games i've ever played followed probably by ace of seafood.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, fuzzychomper said:

@Gizamaluke I believe it was also developed by the same folks who went on to make the Grand Theft Auto series. Another random fun fact. 

Indeed it is. DMA games who became part of Rockstar Studios so became Rockstar North, with Vice City the 1st game as Rockstar North. I've actually walked past their office in Edinburgh last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Yessssssss. I love this thread. I can totally agree with all the ones I've heard of here lol. Jumping Flash is a classic...it was one of the few games on the Playstation demo disc that we had back in the day. It had that and a few other games...I could never get past the first level. Very strange game indeed. Mr. Mosquito, yes indeed, very strange! And Katamari Damacy games are my faves!!!!! <3 So goooood. 

Seventh Cross Evolution (Dreamcast) is one of the weirdest games...and one of those it's so bad it's good kind of games. It's #1 to my brother and me lol. You're just like wtf most of the time....you essentially need to evolve. And if you manage to understand how the game works, you complete it by evolving into a human! :P 

Spoiler

Stretch Panic (PS2)......what do you do in the game? For the most part, you stretch out the girl's long shadow arms/hands and grab enemies' giant boobs, stretching them to explode. It sounds so dirty, but with the graphics and style, it's really not. It's hilarious and a quality, fun game. 

Spoiler

Has anyone said Seaman yet? For Dreamcast. (My favorite system and it had so many weird games lol.) You try to raise a fish...man...thing...that is voiced by the late, great Leonard Nemoy. I'm just going to post the Angry Video Game Nerd's video of it cause it's hilarious. :P 

Spoiler

There are a billion weird games out there, but that's a few that came to mind for now haha.

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

The Castle of Dr. Brain and The Island of Dr. Brain video games from the early 1990s. Educational features with weird plots.

I think I played this one, but I totally forgot what it was called.  Thanks for reminding me.

50 minutes ago, kelico said:

Seventh Cross Evolution (Dreamcast) is one of the weirdest games...and one of those it's so bad it's good kind of games. It's #1 to my brother and me lol. You're just like wtf most of the time....you essentially need to evolve. And if you manage to understand how the game works, you complete it by evolving into a human! :P 

That reminds me a lot of “EVO: Search for Eden” on SNES.  You start as a fish and slowly evolve by gaining experience.

The weirdest game I can think of at the moment is Oddworld, but it's probably not the weirdest around. You just try not to let your species get eaten. 

abandoned-account
3 hours ago, _DEVIN_ said:

The weirdest game I can think of at the moment is Oddworld, but it's probably not the weirdest around. You just try not to let your species get eaten. 

Well, it was called "Oddworld" for a reason!

*fart noise*

1 hour ago, RoonalWaslib said:

That reminds me a lot of “EVO: Search for Eden” on SNES.  You start as a fish and slowly evolve by gaining experience.

That looks like better quality than 7th Cross, even though it's older! :lol: That's awesome. I don't remember hearing of that game before.

What made 7th Cross really weird, too, was the awful sound effects lol. I'll never forget the sound of the squishing mud when you walk around. 

Oh...another weird game I thought of...Tass Times in Tone Town (Apple IIGS). Maybe it's because I was so little when my brothers would play it...but in general, it was SO weird and creepy to me lol. 

Spoiler

Oh, I think I've thought of one no one else has mentioned. Er, something like voodoo or I think it might have been called Bad Mojo, you play as a man who was transformed into a cockroach, you spend your time navigating the most disgusting traps and dead creatures, big spiders and general house waste trying to get back to your body? At one point there was a massive area and since its top down and single panel areas like Metroid it was too easy to get lost and I gave up so I never found out what was going on.

When you finished a level you got live-action cutscenes too that were super hammy on the acting.

@kelico That evolution game looks amazing, this is what I miss about old game developers. They took massive risks on weird or complex mechanics.

13 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

That evolution game looks amazing, this is what I miss about old game developers. They took massive risks on weird or complex mechanics.

It was. I have no idea if you'd be able to find it to play somewhere, or if you have a Dreamcast and can get it cheap. It was very confusing...took a lot of trial and error and some help from GameFAQs at the time. :P But it was genuinely a good game, just weird.

There was this game where you were a small cherub... with wings and a nappy (diaper) on and you had to go around possessing professors, guards, prostitutes, insurgents ... even rats to achieve the game objectives. To leave a body you could break your own neck.

Now THAT was wierd ... good though, I just can't remember the name.

Twisted Tempest

There was this one Star Wars game where Darth Vader transformed into some kind of giant scorpion and chased Luke around the stage. But that moment was a one off I think. 

There was the game "Hong Kong 97" which was very weird. I know the game is somewhat of a meme now, but seriously, If you can get past the horrible gameplay for long enough to piece together what's going on, it makes less and less sense. 

Archived