Weirdest Video Games you can Remember

Gizamaluke

So I had a string of bad choices when it came to new platform games. The last few I've bought were all rip off of the original Metroid, but with rouge like elements, one even stole level design and mechanics from Aladdin and the Lion King for the Sega Mega Drive. That got me thinking about old 3D platformers when I went back into the Spyro remaster, like Klonoa, and then I remembered the strangest one of all time, Jumping Flash.

jumping Flash is about an evil scientist stealing all the major attractions and cities around the world for a floating theme park. You play as a robotic rabbit who jumps and shoots their way through these floating islands, collecting carrots shooting balloons, and all against the clock. I never understood this game as a kid and I still don't. Why are there flying whales? Why a robot rabbit? Why did all the enemies have palm tree heads? And what was Dr. Aloha's marketing strategy? If only he and one robot rabbit named Robbit could reach space!

That's just one example, what about you guys any crazier games out there?

Are we talking about official released games or homebrews/browser games?

mr. mosquito is strange PS2 game.

I never had a console growing up, only a PC, but I would have to say that the weirdest video game I played regularly was Dink Smallwood. Yes, you read that name right. No, I didn't realize how many innuendos this game had in it as a child. Partly because I was a child- and partly because I apparently wasn't wired to think that way!

In it you play a pig farmer turned adventurer named Dink Smallwood who gets progressively stronger until he meets the final boss, Seth, who happens to have the face of the game's creator.

mQJ5wbS.jpg

You also assist a town who worships ducks through their famine by killing all their ducks and showing them that ducks are pretty tasty. It's full of all kinds of funny quips and odd choices and weird monsters, but I actually learned a bit of coding as a child through the level creator they released. I still go back and play it every couple of years. Good times.

A bootleg pokemon game that was really called Keitai  Denju Telefang which is like pokemon but pokeballs seemed to be replaced with mobile phones!

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I never had a console growing up, only a PC, but I would have to say that the weirdest video game I played regularly was Dink Smallwood. Yes, you read that name right. No, I didn't realize how many innuendos this game had in it as a child. Partly because I was a child- and partly because I apparently wasn't wired to think that way!

In it you play a pig farmer turned adventurer named Dink Smallwood who gets progressively stronger until he meets the final boss, Seth, who happens to have the face of the game's creator.

mQJ5wbS.jpg

You also assist a town who worships ducks through their famine by killing all their ducks and showing them that ducks are pretty tasty. It's full of all kinds of funny quips and odd choices and weird monsters, but I actually learned a bit of coding as a child through the level creator they released. I still go back and play it every couple of years. Good times.

I wonder if the character 's name has anything to do with Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island series. And a more recent weird game Nier Automata does the same thing in a dlc where the end boss is the designer and another CEO of the company.

2 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

A bootleg pokemon game that was really called Keitai  Denju Telefang which is like pokemon but pokeballs seemed to be replaced with mobile phones!

Oh I remember playing this on a retro site. I liked the cell phone idea but the gameplay was so janky and I hated how ugly some of the designs were, and if i remember right everyone was rude and unhelpful.

2 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Are we talking about official released games or homebrews/browser games?

mr. mosquito is strange PS2 game.

Anything I suppose, I know a lot of people who have fond memories of early flash games.

One time when I was at a friend’s house when I was a kid we played this one game where I guess we went into a strip club, but since it was a late 90’s/early 2000’s PlayStation game the graphics were pretty bad and the strippers were just kissing the poles while making “Mmmm” sounds. I don’t remember what it was called, maybe it was an early GTA game or something.

Ms. Carolynne

Off the top of my head, this game comes to mind : LSD dream emulator

On 11/27/2018 at 3:04 AM, sh*t said:

pacman is fucking weird when you think about it 

Do you remember Pacman World where it turned from a top-down arcade game to suddenly being a Banjo-Kazooie-esque 3D platformer?

On 11/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, Gloomy said:

One time when I was at a friend’s house when I was a kid we played this one game where I guess we went into a strip club, but since it was a late 90’s/early 2000’s PlayStation game the graphics were pretty bad and the strippers were just kissing the poles while making “Mmmm” sounds. I don’t remember what it was called, maybe it was an early GTA game or something.

If it was the original playstation, not gta as they were overhead views and became the 3d games we know in PS2 era onwards, though those did start in the early 2000s as well...

Maybe a Duke Nukem game like A Time to Kill?

Luftschlosseule

Maybe one of you guys knows it? It's 3D and you start with a small ball and roll around. But you pick up the next bigger stuff when you roll over it, and your ball gets bigger and bigger and bigger. The thing is, I want to play it but am not able to find it anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Maybe one of you guys knows it? It's 3D and you start with a small ball and roll around. But you pick up the next bigger stuff when you roll over it, and your ball gets bigger and bigger and bigger. The thing is, I want to play it but am not able to find it anywhere.

Katamari Damacy? (Below might be from a sequal of it). Defo it if you remember the theme song was mostly someone singing "la ,lalalala la la la la" a lot.

katamaridamacy1.jpg

Luftschlosseule
4 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Katamari Damacy? (Below might be from a sequal of it). Defo it if you remember the theme song was mostly someone singing "la ,lalalala la la la la" a lot.

katamaridamacy1.jpg

Omg yes! Thank you so much!

Never played it, but always wanted to.

Just now, Luftschlosseule said:

Omg yes! Thank you so much!

Never played it, but always wanted to.

Never played it myself bar demos on magazine disks, one of my gaming regrets. There is an rubbish endless runner version available for phones but there is a switch version of the original game due out this week on the estore and a PC version due out next week.

Another one, ps1 error, Incrediable crisis. It's a mini game, game.

10 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

Never played it myself bar demos on magazine disks, one of my gaming regrets. There is an rubbish endless runner version available for phones but there is a switch version of the original game due out this week on the estore and a PC version due out next week.

Hah, yeah I was about to say they're gonna remaster beautiful katamari for the switch, I'm so excited it's one of my favourite games ever, but when it first came out i could hardly play because the bright colours and sheer walls of colour hurt my eyes. Same thing happens playing minecraft.

I've probably played a lot of weird games. All of the Zork games are at least a little weird, for one, but I think here I'm looking more for weird in a maybe not quite good way. koules is also pretty weird, I suppose.

There was one DOS game I had when I was a kid, or maybe it was a demo, that involved these really... blobby creatures? There was some kind of pirate themed level, and it started by falling down a slide into some kind of goop. I don't remember it very well, I only recall that it was very strange.

Some text-based adventure games for Linux were really weird, too. There was one called Battlestar that I think was supposed to be based off Battlestar Galactica, but aside from being based on a large ship, didn't have much to do with it. For that matter, I suppose Adventure itself could be considered weird (although I would say in a good way).

Zork Nemesis (the second of their three graphics-based games) gave me nightmares as a child...and I didn't even make it to the severed-head puzzle.

Not so much a weird game, but remember Afro Samurai the game? It was the first game i know of to use a mathematical algorithm in order to allow players to slice enemies in half for that iconic style of fighting in the show, manga, anime. Each enemy had near anatomically correct insides so no matter their position or your sword's direction the correct part of the body was cut off.

One of the weirdest games I’ve played was the DOS game “Search for the King,”  where you control an inept tv station employee attempting to find Elvis to win a contest.

Actually, it wasn’t so much weird as it was poorly designed and lacking in any redeeming qualities.  I’m thinking of starting a “Worst game you’ve ever played” thread for this one.

I recall playing the 1991 video game Lemmings, where the premise was that you had to guide a line of anthropomorphic lemmings through a serious of obstacles, a task that required sacrificing some lemmings in order to save the rest.

Archived