I Can't Do Customer Service - Where Do You Work?

Redwylde

4 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

And Ive seen it in so many employees who have a can do attitude and come to work just to get fucked over by management who doesnt seem to have the slightest idea how a business works and wants all the glory but doesnt want to accept any of the reaponsibility. 

I hear you. I think horrible bosses plus horrible customers would break even the most positive employee.

It's why I quit my call center job. I got yelled at for helping clients, vs put them in triage even when slow. Plus felt like 60% of the clients were abusive dicks, when it was more like 5%. 

You were trained to say: "there's nothing I can do", and just take the abuse. You were under orders to warn the customer that abusive language wouldn't be tolerated. You could not hang up. You had to give three warnings. By then, the damage is done.

Saw so many girls after one of "those" calls scrambling to the "quiet room" we had, in tears.

You know you should avoid the work, if quiet rooms are used.

I have thick skin, but even then. 

Yeah.... don't miss that job.

I work in retail, but I'm a manager so I don't really interact with people all that much- I interact with my employees a lot, but customers not so much. It is a lot of dealing with new people because our turnover rate is very high, and I train people constantly, but still much much easier than when I had to deal with customers! I will say though, not all of the jobs where I work are very customer service focused- not all jobs are behind a register or customer service desk. Try to see if you can find a job as a stocker, cart attendant, janitorial work, etc. One of my workers is exceptionally shy and hates working the register, but I love her because she does a great job cleaning up at night and does all of the little annoyances that nobody else likes to do. Other than that, if you're completely sick of the retail route, winter is coming- if you have a good snowblower, clearing people's driveways can be quite lucrative! My brother did it for a long time in high school, and the older women on the street were actually very generous :D

I have anxiety, social and generalized. I've worked in the service industry for as long as I've had a paying job, so eight years and counting. I'm sure there's at least one person out there who might argue then that maybe I don't actually have anxiety if I've been working in customer service for so long. I only mentioned that because that's an argument I actually hear often when I mention my anxiety to people who know me, or think they do. My only answer is that I think my love of helping others helps balance my anxiety. I never said I've worked successfully in the service world, I still struggle and my ideal job would be one where I never have to interact with other humans, in person or even on the phone. I also hate emails, go figure. I don't know how to explain it. I feel like I'm too defensive about this, imo. I'd say that for the rest of my life I'd like to get to a place where dealing with customers isn't as center place.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

I'm an electrician assembling all wiring and control cabinets in trains.

nothing really inspiring 😂 just a technical job that demands certain education and a technical mind. I really love my job, though. it's my passion.

Archived