Languages

iff

Languages  

179 members have voted

1. 1. How many languages can you speak well?

• Over 10
  2. 2. How many languages can you read/write well in?

• Over 10
  3. 3. Do you know sign language?

• Yes, very well
    • Yes, reasonable
    • I have a bit
    • No
  4. 4. Can you read Braille?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Including, your answer in 1, 2, 3 and 4, how many languages do you have an understanding of

• Over 10
  6. 6. Do you use Alternate language forum

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No, but will do from now
    • No and won't
  7. 7. Do you have understanding of any regional languages (I.e. Basque, Catalan, Romansh, Bretagne etc)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

On 8/20/2019 at 11:45 AM, DragonSpirit said:

Who said zero!?

It wasn't me, but I sympathize in two different ways. I've lived outside The Netherlands for the last 20 years, and on the rare occasion that I speak Dutch, it's actually starting to become an effort not to speak EngDutch, but I'll never become a native speaker of English either.

Then again, I read stuff all the time that supposedly native speakers of English write that disqualify them from claiming to write English well, and I'd like to think that I do better than that.

3 hours ago, Strange-quark said:

I'm planning to as well, but we'll see.

@iff Can I protest for Basque being grouped up with languages that can be considered as variants/dialects of the majority language (i.e. they are regional and at least somehow related to the majority language)?

Breton also included would be considered a celtic language related to welsh rather than French. 

However, if I ever redo the poll I will take this on board and maybe adjust the question.

Strange-quark
33 minutes ago, iff said:

Breton also included would be considered a celtic language related to welsh rather than French. 

However, if I ever redo the poll I will take this on board and maybe adjust the question.

True, but at least Breton and French are related, albeit not that closely. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine :P

I'd say I only really speak English well, but I can speak German with the occasional delay. I can read and write German reasonably well. French I can puzzle out in writing, can write simple sentences, and can't speak it at all. My knowledge of Welsh at this time is limited mostly to assorted words and a phrase or two.

I've considered wandering into the German language forum, but I guess I assumed it was only for native speakers, so I haven't.

English is my native tongue. But I can read and somewhat write French, Spanish, and Italian/Silican. I took Spanish and French for my electives in school. I trying to learn Italian on my own so I know what a family friend is saying. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hermit Advocate

I am passable at sign language. Provided the other signer uses basic signs and doesn't start signing at a million miles an hour. I want to take more classes to increase my knowledge. Gotta wait a year though. 

Neutral Charge

I have been wanting to start learning sign language and morse code for a while, its just darn life, never gives us enough time for what we want to learn :( i will start one day and i will do it before i die but dunno when 😶

I can only speak and read English WELL, but I can speak and read Spanish and Hebrew poorly...  Mostly only read with the Hebrew...

• 2 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived