BBC short video: What is Asexuality?

EdInLeeds

I was more pleased with this than with the episode of the Sex Map of Britain, as they got a sexuality expert on this time and he stated that being aromantic is different from being asexual.  I'm not sure why they asked random people in Sunderland what they thought asexuality was though.

Category: Non-fiction brief video
Source:  BBC
Title: #sextakeover What is Asexuality?
Date: Tuesday 20th November 2018
Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06s8ht3?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=asexuality&intc_linkname=5live_rm_mid_c3 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for sharing! It seems as if at least some people would get the meaning of it..basically. That's better than  nothing I suppose.

Thanks for this! Wasn't aware of Sex Map of Britain, but seeing as we're talking about nonfictional videos featuring asexuality in general, thought I'd mention this. It's from a few years ago, so you may have all seen it. Russell T Davies (who I love) had like a trilogy of shows on Channel 4, Cucumber, Banana and Tofu. Cucumber and Banana were fiction and didn't cover asexuality, but Tofu was nonfiction, sort of a documentary but mainly interviews. Every episode was about a different element of sex. As in, there's an episode on teenage sex, an episode on coming out (as gay) an episode on online dating etc. And an episode called "Not Having Sex." They interview a bunch of people who aren't having sex for various reasons, and I watched it before I'd figured out I was ace, and I found it really interesting. And there's a very good interview with an ace in it. Worth a watch.

Divide By Zero

Thanks for sharing. I think it's a good video, especially because it mentions aromanticism and that it's different from asexuality.

Thanks, for the link! I kind of was hoping the sexuality expert might say more about aromanticism, but it was still interesting.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, EdInLondon said:

...I'm not sure why they asked random people in Sunderland what they thought asexuality was though...

Hmm. I wonder whether the filmmakers wanted to let viewers who see the video and hadn't heard about asexuality, before, that they weren't alone in being unfamiliar with the term.

• 1 month later...

I recall that the documentary (A)sexual (Angela Tucker, 2011) starts off by asking people what they think 'asexual' means, so perhaps that is where the BBC filmmakers got the idea.

Archived