Raising children. How much would you raise?

R_1

Census to raising children  

101 members have voted

1. 1. How much children you would like to raise? (Method does not matter - adoption, insemination, IVF)

• N > 10 (Please specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely 0 (otherwise 2)

Not 1 - having siblings has a lot of benefits in my opinion opinion, and 3 or more would be too much.

I always had an irrational wish to have children. All my childhood, throughout my teens and up until around a year ago I was sure I wanted two. I knew that my life would be a lot better if I had none, but that stupid irrational wish wanted two. 

I don't know how I managed to get rid of that feeling, it seemed to be set in the core of me, but it's gone!

Now I'm 100 % sure I will have 0 kids.

Guest community6seasons

I voted 1, but who am I kidding. Of course, it will be zero. I am unable to take care of myself. I have unstable friendships because of BPD. My mum had it too. So I wouldn't want to pass on my genes to anyone. Plus, looking at the world, I find it to be a dark place and wonder what's the point of bringing someone into it only to have them struggle through the rat race.

I have raised four boys. I loved them so much but it started out very bad and stayed that way for a few years. Between being young, extremely sheltered, and an Aspie, we were challenged from the gitgo. There was no maternal instinct that kicked in. I never babysat, and I just didn't understand or know enough to even be thinking about being a parent let alone actually do it.

I'm happy to say we all survived and I have no regrets. 

~Hank

I have a single child and fully intend to keep it that way. She's amazing, best thing I ever did, and I just can't top that. 😁 

I tend to fluctuate between wanting one or two kiddo(s) and not wanting any. I work with kids all the time at my current job; I love them, but when I think of what it must take to be around them all the time at home and still keep your sanity intact... I wonder if I will ever be in a position where I'll have that much time, energy, and commitment (not to mention finances). Right now, I'm in the "omg, there's no way I will ever have what it takes to be a good parent; maybe not" mindset, but like I said, it's fluid. (I guess my biggest fear is someday switching into the "I want kids!" mindset, adopting a kiddo, and then later switching back to the "I'm not sure this was a good idea" mindset... I hope that never happens, because then I'd feel just awful. D|)

I've also considered coparenting or fostering a child as a way to maybe dip my toes into the water and see how I'd handle it.

12 hours ago, Barbio said:

I've also considered coparenting or fostering a child as a way to maybe dip my toes into the water and see how I'd handle it.

That's a really good idea. I, just like my dad, should never have had kids. I had REALLY  stupid reasons for everything I did for years--like I thought I was "supposed to" get married and have kids, among other things. I don't regret having them or the fight I had to go through to "get" parenting but I'll be honest, if I had known and understood things about myself before hand, it probably would never have happened. 

And just for the record, there is nothing wrong with be childless. Nothing at all. I think couples and individuals with no children should get more support from other people. I don't understand why it's an issue with some. Doesn't make any more sense than people who've had a lot of kids get crap for having so many--that was me and my sister. People are so damn annoying.

Eek. Sorry for the rant. This is me shutting up now. : )

~Hank

1 minute ago, Sashanka said:

That's a really good idea. I, just like my dad, should never have had kids. I had REALLY  stupid reasons for everything I did for years--like I thought I was "supposed to" get married and have kids, among other things. I don't regret having them or the fight I had to go through to "get" parenting but I'll be honest, if I had known and understood things about myself before hand, it probably would never have happened. 

And just for the record, there is nothing wrong with be childless. Nothing at all. I think couples and individuals with no children should get more support from other people. I don't understand why it's an issue with some. Doesn't make any more sense than people who've had a lot of kids get crap for having so many--that was me and my sister. People are so damn annoying.

Eek. Sorry for the rant. This is me shutting up now. : )

~Hank

Same here, I should never have had children, only did it for a partner.

I have an opinion on why society programs people to believe it is so important but this is not hotbox

• 11 months later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived