Climate change - AVENs at COP24

Pandemonium

Its a long shot I appreciate but wondered if anyone here will be at the climate change negotiations in Katowice?  Or works generally in and around that area - would be interested in sharing ideas with anyone engaging with the topic as part of their jobs.  

For background I work on finance innovation for climate action (I'll be an observer there rather than a negotiator)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Fantastic! I wish I could do something like that, it's a really important thing to be doing.

Can't wait to see if anything will be taken on board - the agreements have fallen short in recent years. Crossed fingers.

so you help navigate investments towards green industries?

Why does it matter what someone's sexual orientation is at a climate change conference?

It shouldn't matter.

Edit: I apologize for misreading the original post.

1 hour ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Why does it matter what someone's sexual orientation is at a climate change conference?

It shouldn't matter.

These posters said nothing about sexual orientation.  From what it seems to me, the OP was simply asking if anyone on AVEN would be at that conference.  

The optimal solution to climate change is a global pigouvian tax, where the level of tax is calculated using the best available integrated assessment models, such as the DICE model created by William Nordhaus, who won the Nobel Memorial Prize in economics this year.

Perissodactyla
On 11/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, Pandemonium said:

Its a long shot I appreciate but wondered if anyone here will be at the climate change negotiations in Katowice?  Or works generally in and around that area - would be interested in sharing ideas with anyone engaging with the topic as part of their jobs.  

For background I work on finance innovation for climate action (I'll be an observer there rather than a negotiator)

Thank you!

I think a few of my colleagues will attend, but I haven't double-checked just yet.

I will be observing from afar (Silicon Valley, California) as a political activist.

Will you be writing about your observations during the conference?

You inspire all of us!

"COP24 On 3-14 December 2018, Poland will host the 24th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC COP24) and the meeting will be held in Katowice."
http://www.cop24.katowice.eu/
https://i.imgur.com/nW9JnjK.png
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/climate/us-climate-report.html

12 hours ago, oval said:

Thank you!

I think a few of my colleagues will attend, but I haven't double-checked just yet.

I will be observing from afar (Silicon Valley, California) as a political activist.

Will you be writing about your observations during the conference?

You inspire all of us!

"COP24 On 3-14 December 2018, Poland will host the 24th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC COP24) and the meeting will be held in Katowice."
http://www.cop24.katowice.eu/
https://i.imgur.com/nW9JnjK.png
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/climate/us-climate-report.html

Thanks @oval thats very kind - its quietly become a really important COP this year given all thats been published recently.  I really hope the negotiations can move forward a step.  My organisation will likely publish various outputs, will share in Jan (after a break for the holidays, COP is really tiring!)  

Its great to know theres still so much activism in the US, keep up the good fight!

On 11/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, chandrakirti said:

Fantastic! I wish I could do something like that, it's a really important thing to be doing.

Can't wait to see if anything will be taken on board - the agreements have fallen short in recent years. Crossed fingers.

Thanks @chandrakirti - whats your area of work now?  I agree the framework is there but we've all got bogged down in politics again, its like they're not hearing the science (again!)  I still have hope though.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:06 AM, gisiebob said:

so you help navigate investments towards green industries?

@gisiebob - basically yes - trying to create mechanisms to do that, but also make sure they're credible from a sustainable development impacts perspective.  We're more about exemplar than necessarily ourselves investing though.  Its pretty niche :)

15 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

The optimal solution to climate change is a global pigouvian tax, where the level of tax is calculated using the best available integrated assessment models, such as the DICE model created by William Nordhaus, who won the Nobel Memorial Prize in economics this year.

@-1=e^ipiI don't disagree - Nordhaus is absolutely right (and thats a very well deserved Nobel Prize in my view!).  I think we're seeing that already in company decision making, those that set internal carbon prices anyway.  I'm cautiously optimistic - I've seen big companies and funds act and it forces the rest of the supply chain around them to move too if they want to keep their business.  I feared for a long time that the scale of change was too big but actually if just enough key companies moved then everyone else would be forced to follow.  

No worries for the misread either - has nothing to do with orientation and more to do with making some connections here.  Thanks for responding - You sound pretty well read on this - do you work study it or work in the area?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oh, I've always been interested in the planet @Pandemonium. I come from a small farm background, worked as a nurse , now in an office, sending medicines out to hospitals and pharmacies. Wish I had swapped to animal care decades ago when I had the chance. 

My pension is mostly invested in green initiatives -energy in particular, but I haven't as much say in it as I would like. The fund manager has the final word (not that it seems to be working since the Brexit deal came closer to its endgame).

I'd have been happier in conservation , I applied for many jobs with RSPB etc, but my track record is all with humans.

2 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Oh, I've always been interested in the planet @Pandemonium. I come from a small farm background, worked as a nurse , now in an office, sending medicines out to hospitals and pharmacies. Wish I had swapped to animal care decades ago when I had the chance. 

My pension is mostly invested in green initiatives -energy in particular, but I haven't as much say in it as I would like. The fund manager has the final word (not that it seems to be working since the Brexit deal came closer to its endgame).

I'd have been happier in conservation , I applied for many jobs with RSPB etc, but my track record is all with humans.

It sounds like you've done a lot more than most :)  I absolutely love the RSPB, if I had more time I'd 100% volunteer.  

Am fascinated by the lack of climate mentions in the last budget here, despite having some pretty aggressive targets.  How the IPCC report comes out one week and the chancellor doesn't even mention it the next I can't fathom (well, I can but its still crazy!)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think it's very short sighted. The human race seem to do nothing till it's hitting them between the eyes. Maybe we're hard wired to do that, but I feel sorry for the other creatures who are much more harmonious with their blue planet home than we are.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Poland if anyone interested - they're into the real weeds of the Paris Agreement now, 400 possible amends to just one of the articles (the one on markets).  The stuff outside of that (work by business/cities/regions etc) is super positive though, lots of folks giving up entrenched technical positions on the basis we just need to get shit done at this point.  Have left today, others take over next week.  Always feel quite emo leaving COP.

Archived