Ace/LGBTQ+ Book Recommendations?

Falafelphy

Hi everyone!

So I recently posted in Celebration Time about how a group of students and I had finally gotten a room to put our LGBTQ+ resource center on our college campus, so now our next step is to set up the details, namely, a list of books/other resources to fill our shelves with.

We're looking for:

• Non-fiction
  • Fiction
  • Documentaries
  • Movies
  • TV shows
  • Magazines?
  • Literally anything else we can put on a bookshelf

Centered around topics including (but not limited to):

• Asexuality
  • Aromanticism/romantic orientations
  • Bisexuality
  • Pansexuality
  • Gay/lesbian
  • Transgender
  • Non-binary genders
  • Questioning your sexuality/gender
  • How to come out
  • A combination of any/all of these topics

So if anyone knows of any good resources they would like us to include, please either comment below or PM me here! I would love to hear from you!

Also note that I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please move this post to where it should be!

Here are some things I like! Most just have LGBT+ representation; I don't know of many LGBT+ resources you could put on a shelf. Also, I know of other popular things with representation, but I'm only listing things I really like.

• Nonfiction books: 
    • The ABC's of LGBT+ (good general info on different LGBT+ identities)
    • Queer, There, and Everywhere (about LGBT+ people through history)
  • Fiction books (basically all YA, because I don't read much else):
    • Let's Talk About Love (YA romance novel with a biromantic asexual main character!)
    • Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
    • Leah on the Offbeat
    • Queens of Geek (my favorite book! I couldn't stop smiling when I read it the first time!)
    • Will Grayson, Will Grayson (note: although there is no explicit ace representation in this book (I put it on this list for its gay characters), asexuality is mentioned by name as a legitimate sexuality, and I think one of the main characters can be pretty relatable to aces)
    • a lot of Rick Riordan's newer books have LGBT+ characters
      • one of the major side characters comes out as gay in Heroes of Olympus, later gets a boyfriend
      • Apollo talks about both male and female love interests in Trials of Apollo
      • the Magnus Chase series has a major genderfluid character from book 2 on
    • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (bi main character, but not a romance novel. Really cool sci-fi plot! Also probably the only book on this list that isn't YA.)
    • Carry On
  • Movies:
    • Love, Simon
    • Margarita with a Straw (a love story between 2 disabled WOC, one of whom is explicitly bi! There is some sex, though)
    • But I'm a Cheerleader
  • TV Shows:
    • Supergirl (major character comes out as lesbian in season 2, and her coming out scenes were really comforting and inspiring when I first came out. There's also a trans woman in the current season!)
    • Legends of Tomorrow (one of the main characters is bi)
    • Doctor Who? (I love the show, but the amount and quality of representation varies a lot. There's also Torchwood, the spinoff about Jack Harkness.

I've had a hard time finding LGBT+ movies and TV shows that aren't at least somewhat sexual, so if you find some I haven't listed, let me know!

Buckle up cause this is gonna be a long list.

Fiction Books

-Lets Talk about Love by Claire Kahn (asexual biromantic main character)

-Adaption by Malinda Lo (bisexual polyamerous main character)

-Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller (genderfluid, bisexual, and heterosexual aromantic characters)

-Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan (lesbian main character)

-Huntress by Malinda Lo (lesbian main character)

-Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (bisexual and gay characters)

-Daughter of a Burning City by Amanda Foody (bisexual, lesbian and demisexual characters)

-Pantomime by Laura Lam (intersex bisexual main character)

-If I was Your Girl by Merideth Russo (transgender character)

-Stake Sauce, the Secret Ingredient is Love, No Really by RoAnna Sylver, (gray aromantic gray asexual main character)

-The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee (asexual, bisexual characters)

-Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark (transgender, nonbinary characters)

-Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan (transgender, gay characters)

-The Loveless Princess (asexual aromantic main character)

-Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fany (lesbian main character) (also there's a great web series adaption that you should check out)

-King Rat (transgender main character)

-Kiss of the Fur Queen (gay main character)

-Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (asexual, transgender characters)

Non Fiction Books

-This Book is Gay by James Dawson

-The ABC's of LGBT by Ash Mardell

-Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight For Gay Rights

-Don't Be So Gay!: Queers, Bullying, and Making Schools Safe by Donn Short

-What is Gender? How Does It Define Us? And Other Big Questions by Juno Dawson

-Trans Voices: Becoming Who You Are by Declan Henry

-Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens by Kathy Belge

Comic Books/Graphic Novels

-Marvel Runaways series (bisexual, lesbian, genderfluid characters)

-Batwoman (lesbian)

-Archie Comics (asexual character)

-Lumberjanes (transgender, nonbinary characters)

-Young Avengers series (lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, genderfluid characters)

Movies

-Love Simon

-Brokeback Mountain

-But I'm A Cheerleader

-Alex Strangelove

-Carol

-Professor Marstin and the Wonder Women

-All About My Mother

-Boys Don't Cry

-Happy Together

-Tangerine

-Pariah

-Sunday Bloody Sunday

-Tomboy

Documentaries

-A Few Good Years Left

-Growing Up Trans

-(A)Sexual

-For the Bible Tells Me So

-Kumu Hina

-Do I Sound Gay?

-The Death and Life of Marsha P Johnson

-Gendernauts: A Journey Through Shifting Identities

-We Were Here

-Wish Me Away

Magazines

I have no idea if there are any lgbt oriented magazines, but you could probably do individual issues like the one where Caitlyn Jenner came out and the National Geographic issue about transgender brains.

11 hours ago, lonelyace said:

Magazines

I have no idea if there are any lgbt oriented magazines, but you could probably do individual issues like the one where Caitlyn Jenner came out and the National Geographic issue about transgender brains.

There's a magazine called Out. https://www.out.com/  (I work at a library and I've seen it there.)

All Out is a fictional short story collection edited by Saundra Mitchell featuring stories about all different types of people from the LGBTQ+ community.

Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee - fictional book with an asexual main character.

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire has an ace and a trans character. 

The Archie comics have an asexual character (Jughead Jones) and a gay character (Kevin Keller). Both characters have their own separate comic series.

Understanding Asexuality by Anthony F. Bogaert is a non fiction book that is kind of like an allosexual's point of view and understanding of asexuality. 

10 hours ago, RiddleMeThisTom said:

All Out is a fictional short story collection edited by Saundra Mitchell featuring stories about all different types of people from the LGBTQ+ community.

I can't believe I forgot All Out! It's so good, and one of the stories is about an ace girl!

Archived