2. 2. What is your exercise of choice during winter

• Don't exercise during winter
    • Gym workout
    • Gym classes
    • Stairs
    • Skating
    • Skiing
    • Cycling (road)
    • Cycling (off road - mountain biking, cyclo cross)
    • Running (road)
    • Walking (road)
    • Team sports
    • Home workout
    • Dancing
    • Equestrian
    • Walking/running (cross country)
    • Other exercise

This poll is closed to new votes

So with winter coming (mild currently), it is a bit harder to exercise than in warmer weather, particularly with night fall when leaving work.

This is about intentions 

I keep up my regular exercise routine throughout the winter months. I have equipment at home, so I don't have to worry about trudging to the gym. I also still walk a lot, even though it tends to get very cold here! 😣

What is this thing called "exercise", that people keep mentioning?:unsure:

Off topic:

That gif, in your signature, is gorgeous, @Just Dani:)

I walk a lot outside (when the weather isn't crap and I have a day off), but when the weather is all snowy and icy and cold I have an exercise bike.

1 hour ago, Tja said:

What is this thing called "exercise", that people keep mentioning?:unsure:

This

I should do more walking and stuff, but don't currently have much in the way of good intentions. I think I would do more if I had some equipment at home. I might look into that next year, but right now I don't want to get more stuff that will have to be moved to a new place.

@Tja

Thanks! 😊

@Strifed

I have an elliptical at home. I wanted to get something that would give me the best workout on one device without costing me an arm and a leg. I also have some smaller pieces: yoga mat, dumbbells, easy curl bar with weights, a jumping rope, etc. 😉

everywhere and nowhere

I love skiing, both Alpine and cross-country. Alpine skiing in Warsaw is not easy and not very satisfying, but there is a hill with ski lifts - actually, one which can also be used in the summer (artificial surface). Once I went there alone, with the bus (my mom has a car, I don't and never will; I hate driving, car travel in cities generally and discrimination of pedestrians) - it was great carrying my skis in spring weather, in the city center, still far from the skiing facility. :D (Unfortunately, the hill is not very big - I'm very bad at judging distances, measurements etc., but it's just a few tens of meters over ground level*. It's fully possible to ski down the slope in less that a minute.) Cross-country skiing is easier - as long as there is snow, I can go cross-country skiing on the woods (less than 20 minutes from my house with public transit) and sometimes I even go to the nearest large supermarket on skis. Ursynów, the district where I live, is at the southern end of Warsaw and the road to the supermarket (normally I go there with the bus) is close to the woods, not many crosswalks, and it's possible to ski on the lawn as long as it's covered with snow. I wouldn't do it in the summer, on summer replacement of cross-country skis - I mean, I trust my skis, but completely don't trust roller skates and other such stuff with tiny wheels, I'm afraid of any not-completely-flat surface with them and haven't had roller skates for years.

I very much enjoy ice-skating, but only outdoors. I'm not sure why, perhaps due to the single time I was skating on a frozen lake - i was evening, dark, just the few of us (me, my mom and her friend with husband and daughter), and so now skating indoors just feels so locked up for me.

I can't perform absolutely any kind of "tricks" on skates, even skating backwards. What I do is more like speed skating on figure skates - in fact, slightly modified figure skates, because I kept stumbling on the first toe-pick and so I asked the skate sharpener to file it down completely. (My mom later followed my example and it was a mistake because she can skate backwards. We were in Ga-Pa, almost everyone was skating indoors and we went on the small outdoor rink and were "ice-dancing" holding hands - me forward and my mom backwards. The toe-pick is used for turning... she lost her balance when turning, I tried to hold her and the result was that I feel too, hit her abdomen with my nose and extremely painfully hit the ice with my knees... It was the end of the evening for me and I was worried whether I haven't injured my knees - both have already been injured in other situations anyway.

Since Homo pseudosapiens has destroyed their planet so much, winters are not what it used to be and a large portion of the time there is no snow. :( So I could possibly cycle in the winter. But I absolutely can't ride even three meters on the bike on snow or sand. No way. Some people can, I can't - just like some people can cycle while not holding the bar, even while pedalling, and I can't. I greatly enjoyed some sports, but have never been fit or graceful - in fact, already at the age of three I noticed that I'm less fit than other children.

*Warsaw lies in the lowlands and only has one major natural elevation: the Vistula escarpment, which goes all the way through the city, close to the western bank of Vistula river. It's about 15-25 meters high and in fact very steep. Larger hills are usually artificial. Szczęśliwice Hill is the one where the ski lift is and with 152 m a.s.l. it's the highest "peak" of Warsaw. (PS. I just checked, its altitude above ground level is 44 m.) In fact, some guys had a great idea. The Seven Summits, or highest peaks of all continents, are called "Crown of the Earth" in Poland. Climbing all eight-thousanders is called "Crown of the Himalaya and Karakoram". Climbing all highest peaks in Polish mountain ranges (anyway, the highest one, Rysy in the Tatra mountains, is only 2499 m a.s.l.) is called "Crown of Polish Mountains". So these guys came up with the idea of "Crown of Warsaw" - there was much talking about Polish expeditions trying to summit some eight-thousanders in the winter and so they had a lot of fun behaving on these small hills as if it was a real mountain expedition (in the Himalaya people have to pay for a permission to climb mountains - they did the same and Mokotów district authorities were rather perplexed and didn't see it as funny when people suddenly applied for a permission to climb a local hill :lol:) - and, actually, they also collected money for charity. :) The six "peaks" which make up the Crown of Warsaw are: Dung Hill (built somewhere in the 16th-17th century from urban waste covered with soil), Cairn of the Warsaw Uprising, Mound of Moczydło, Szczęśliwice Hill (built after World War II from rubble), Cwil's Hill and Monte Kazury (built from soil dug out during construction of Ursynów blocks with some damaged prefabricated building units underneath).

I decided to climb the Crown of Warsaw too, and in real winter conditions. :)

I exercise indoors year round, so the weather doesn't make a difference to me. If I were to exercise outdoors I'd actually be more likely to do it during the winter because it doesn't get that cold where I live, but in the summer and even sometimes during the fall and spring it would be too hot and the sun would beat down on me.

My routine is four days a week(usually Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday), doing cardio and strength training, and some stretching.

I always do most of my exercise at home with a weight machine and a punching bag (also, occasionally, an old bike made stationary). I also walk a lot, and I enjoy walking in the snow, so I don't stop doing that in the winter.

Walking places and running around with my dog outside.

do...do I have to ? I think I'm allergic. 

Honestly it will depend on how bad winter is and how cold it is outside. 

What is “exercise”?

Walk to pub. Pick up heavy glass and lift to mouth. Repeat at regular intervals throughout the evening. Walk home 

Anthracite_Impreza
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Walk to pub. Pick up heavy glass and lift to mouth. Repeat at regular intervals throughout the evening. Walk home 

Walk to fridge, pick up chocolate, walk to room, eat chocolate, take wrapper to recycling recepticle, go to bed.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I cycle 4 miles to work, 4 miles back, from Monday to Friday anyway, then usually walk a couple of miles at weekends, but I need to do more suppleness exercises like yoga or even aerobics.

• 1 year later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived