Any Railway Modellers?

Alawyn-Aebt

Hello, I am wondering how many railway modellers/model railroaders there are here on AVEN.

I myself have been railway modelling ever since I was 5 (presently 18) and I always enjoyed operating more than anything else. Shunting/Switching is the best in my opinion with the slow speed and precise movements. I have had 4 layouts over the years but am presently working on layout based off a local Branchline of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad that ran into my town as it was in 1949.

Any other railway modellers/model railroaders?

I used to be into them but geez!

It can be expensive.

Yeah, that's one downside. If you know where to look though you can really bring the price down. I rarely buy anything brand-new, used or never assembled kits are my mainstay. I also have been lucky by the local hobby shop being very well stocked, having a used section, and even undercutting online often.

I wanted to make a actual biosphere (of sorts) to replicate a 50 (W) mile by 50(L) mile by 15(H)mile coastline with faults and other features and use a trainset to make it look much more real all packed into a 5 feet by 5 by 1.5 feet block.

So a ratio of 1:52800

But I decided that even that was too expensive and took too much space.

That would be cool, I have really never seen nor heard anything near like what you were thinking.

I wanted to be modeled like how Oregon or Washington is with some tunnels, caves, mountains, flowing rivers, etc.

But It evolves over time via naturally or artificial processes.

I.E the shaking of a train can cause minute changes overtime or water flowing and going from a spring to a full sized river to cause effects.

Anthracite_Impreza

Do virtual railways count? Cos I can afford £20 for a game I can replay thousands of times but certainly not £50 for one loco >.<

Um, I don't know. It wasn't what I was originally thinking but I guess if one expands the definition them sure.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

my dad is. I assemble real train cars 😂

1 minute ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

my dad is. I assemble real train cars 😂

You do?

J. van Deijck
4 minutes ago, ColeHW said:

You do?

yeah, as an electrician. I kind of have to cooperate with mechanics who make the train as it is, while I connect it all to the electricity. a job of my life, I swear 😂💖

Nice yet it seems boring though.

J. van Deijck

it's as far from boring as possible, if you only have a technical mind. one train car = about half a year of working. and yes I'm being paid for it.

Archived