Any advice on coming out?

Oat

I feel very confident in my newly established gender identity and sexual orientation and everyday when talking with my friends and family I just want to scream that I'm gender fluid, and so on... I'm hesitant though, mostly because I'm afraid that they'll start questioning my confidence and perhaps make me second guess myself or make me feel invalid. I really don't need to be thrown back into questioning and starting from scratch. Please let's not even get started on my sexuality, it's sometimes too complicated for me to understand.

I guess what I'm asking for is if anyone has any advice, reasons as to why I should or should not come out. Sharing your own coming out story would also be helpful.

Two questions I ask myself is:

Do I generally experience a kind of disconnect with friends and family?

Will what I tell them improve our mutual understanding?

I mostly take a casual approach and don't try to force the conversation. If they come up with some sex-related subject I will come up with a proper response. I personally like to give a short and to-the-point answer, mostly aimed at some misconception my conversation partner may be having. After every such exchange our mutual understanding should have slightly improved. If not, I failed to make my point and will put more thought into it next time.

@Angry Pepper Thank you, I suppose I'll just have to work together with my friends and family and maybe this process could help me understand myself better as well.

If you come out... Put it in the "I feel <x,y,z>" context. Because it's how you feel. How your feelings are, can't be denied to you (People who do, ugh)... And this way. Putting it from the I feel perspective will get the most people along with you. 

:) 

Archived