*waves* hello!

LiteratureNerd

LiteratureNerd

Hi all! 

I have low-key been lurking on the site for years and finally decided to join after a conversation with a friend reminded me just how different life for ace people can be. Also, I may have just binge read a ton of ace-sherlock fanfic while I was theoretically working and that was a treasure trove of representation.

Welcome to the only place I know of where the majority of the people are ace like you.

LiteratureNerd

Thanks! It is a nice feeling. Nothing like being in a room full of people (city) and still feeling isolated.

I’m also new and here for a similar reason, I had to comment because of the Sherlock fic thing though because those are my everything :)

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie Haha, I figured I probably wouldn't be alone in that. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading them. 

Haha same, though! It took me a while to come across them because I’ve always been more of a Sherlock/Moriarty fan than a Johnlock one, but once I found them I fell down the Johnlock rabbit hole. 

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie Can I ask why you liked Moriarty/Sherlock and then what made you ship Johnlock? I think I just liked Johnlock because Watson always made tea and wore sweaters. Silly, but true.

@LiteratureNerd I love that you ask and I’m excited to answer! I love the books and adaptions relatively equally, but across the board Watson is sort of treated to be a bit of an “oafish” character, save for the BBC show adaption.

So honestly it’s more that I’m a big Sherlock/Moriarty fan for everything BUT BBC’s show, and Johnlock for the show. Which, while definitely does some stuff wrong- is the only adaption that doesn’t do my boi Watson dirty. 

Moriarty is also handled weird with the BBC run, but that’s a rant for another day lol. 

Moriarty/Sherlock appeals so strongly because they’re so equally matched. These are two flawed, brilliant minds struggling to find their place in the world that they’re always seemingly a few steps ahead of because of a lack of connectivity to the common man. They’re both outsiders and completely opposite sides of the same coin. There’s a magnetism in their sameness. It’s basically a pretentious version of Will Graham and Hannibal. Outsiders except with one another. 

Thats also the appeal to BBC and fic Johnlock though is the bonding over outside-ness. The difference being that John is very much made of the same stuff the average man is, but his trauma jostles him from the crowd. So while he struggles to find his footing as “other”, he gets the opportunity to help Sherlock find comfort in that same “otherness” from the social status quo. 

Also BBC took Moriarty, a criminal mastermind, and made him into an obsessive, psycho little crackhead. And just. No. 

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie I love that you gave such a detailed answer! I have recently been re-reading the books and I was struck by how little character Watson and Sherlock actually have in a story because the focus is really the puzzle (at least in the ones I have read recently). Watson suffers more than Sherlock though because as the narrator, he gives few descriptions of himself yet Sherlock clearly sees something in him to want him on all of his various escapades. I agree, BBC's adaptation at least fills into those gaps to the benefit of Watson instead of taking the path of previous adaptations of making him an unbelievable sidekick. The role of trauma in that interpretation and resulting fics really appeals to me, probably due to personal reasons, but also because it feels like there is some potential (mostly in fics) to take toxic masculinity apart and both examine the emotional isolation it causes as well as give a small nod to the fact that Victorian ideas of friendship were more intimate than are often assumed by modern audiences.

To be honest, I had not thought much of Moriarty just because he does not show up as often, but I can very much see how that magnetism would work and have played with that idea in other fandoms. I will definitely think about him more as I continue making my way through the stories again.  The only reason I liked him even a little bit in the BBC version is because I love that actor and he captured a sense of melodrama that I love in the original series. Other than that, not a lot. 

@LiteratureNerd lol! Andrew Scott is so charismatic! I love him so much, and the more dramatic aspects of his character, but the character sort of flip flops between genuine insanity and Machiavellian genius and you can’t have cake and eat it too, BBC Sherlock. Lmao. Cake. Asexuals. 

Ha. Anyways. I wonder if there’s a Sherlock thread around here we could pop into to or start. I don’t usually come across people who lovingly nitpick things but I also haven’t fully explored the forums (sadly). There’s this thread and a very half-assed self introduction lol, god knows if I actually look, half of this website probably has Sherlock stuff. 

But yeah, the “isolation of toxic masculinity” was, admittedly, not a lens that I’d applied to this yet but you’re so right! 

Just out of curiosity, have you explored the works of Arthur Conan Doyle’s brother-in-law? If you’re feeling a mood for intimate Victorian era friendships I have a recommendation or two haha. 

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie The writing for him was awful, Scott is just adorable. It doesn't hurt that I saw him in another movie and loved that character a great deal. All of the cake! 

I am only starting to poke my way through the various channels (it is a bit overwhelming to be honest), but I also love nitpicking things (especially fiction and societal interpretations of it), so we could always try to make a corner for it because I haven't found thread yet. 

I studied gender and sexuality in school, so I spend a lot of time thinking and talking about it. I have not read his brother-in-law's work, so recommend away!

@LiteratureNerd He really is too cute. Was the movie Handsome Devil? I love that movie so much. Ugh. 

Haha, my problem has just been that I’m too stupid/lazy to use anything other than my phone, so the whole site just looks hella daunting and I would feel much better using a laptop, but here we are. 

I’ll crack eventually haha. 

And that’s so cool! I’d be interested to pick your brain on the subject since I’m intersex. I studied psych though, so not quite as cool I suppose haha. 

Okay, so ACD’s brother-in-law actually paid cute homage to his work, however E.W. Hornung thought he’d turn up the moral ambiguity and gay vibes to about 11- so he wrote AJ Raffles, Amatuer Cracksman-  who next to Arsine Lupin, is credited as one of fiction’s first gentleman theives. The original text has moments just as cringe as the original run of Sherlock Holmes, but AJ raffles is such a fun character and his “Watson”, Bunny, gets way more abuse. But I always recommend it because if enough people like it, we’ll end up with a new adaption and those two deserve an update. I like moral ambiguities and stealing things. But it’s worth checking out for how fun it is. 

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie Yes it was. Thank goodness for Netflix. This is reminding me that I need to watch that again...

I can't even imagine doing it on my phone 🤯 

Totally! I am an anthropologist but am also really into interdisciplinary  stuff, so I studied literature as well as gender and sexuality partly because I needed to figure some stuff out for myself, but I am happy to pass along anything I know. Psych is still cool though! Emotions and brain chemistry are fascinating and just as bizarre. 

I will have to look those up, they sound hilarious and I am always looking for a good laugh.

@LiteratureNerd yes, it’s not entirely easy on a phone, per se, but we dig our own graves I suppose hahaha. 

Anthropology! That’s amazing! My dream job as a child was always to be a museum curator, but my parents refused to pay for something they didn’t think would make them money. Jokes on them now, honestly. But dramatic backstory is something for another time. Lmfao. 

Figuring stuff out isn’t always a fun process, but you’re here so it means you’re getting there- so congrats! 🎉 haha. Figuring out and coming to terms with stuff is always... a lot. 

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie I don't work in a museum now, I do UX research at the moment, but I did do research for a museum for a summer. 

I think having everything figured out is overrated, the process of getting there is a lot more interesting. Painful, yes, but ultimately leading to the occasional bright day that I wouldn't appreciate as much if I hadn't gone though darker ones. Also, puzzles are fun, without them I would get bored :)

@LiteratureNerd I’m so jealous!!! That sounds like so much fun, oh my god. 

And haha! Good point! Very good point. Life is so fluid anyways, there’s really no such thing as “figuring it out”

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for signing up and sharing a bit about yourself! Looks like you already made yourself at home on here :)

Personally I like reading real-life stuff more than fiction and the like - biographical books are where it's at for me! There are a few book threads in Just For Fun and if you feel like sharing your own work, Open Mic is the place to go.

Feel free to read and explore the site and if you have a question, ask away!

I hope you'll enjoy your time on here :)

51JXNTZF5AL.jpg

LiteratureNerd

@EerieQueerie I am still wrapping my mind around him. Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way, so I am curious to read him in his original form again. Also, I really need to go read some old books now. I just finished a modern one with so-so writing and terrible wooing. Seriously, in a novel about a romanic ace character, you would think the wooing would be better. Maybe I should start a thread about wooing...

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 3:41 AM, EerieQueerie said:

Just out of curiosity, have you explored the works of Arthur Conan Doyle’s brother-in-law? If you’re feeling a mood for intimate Victorian era friendships I have a recommendation or two haha. 

Hello :)) I am not sure how I ended up here (probably the combination of Hanni and Sherlock xD) but I couldn't help the spark of interest you woke in me with this. If you still remember it, a reccomendation or two could be just the thinks that I need right now :'D

Custard Cream

Hello! Welcome to Aven!  Here's some more cake!  🎂

Archived