Marrying a fictional character

Lord_Larsa

Hello to everyone,

I know it's possible now to marry a 2D character in Japan and some people did it already, and I'm not sure about the US, I think Obama said it was allowed now, but I don't know if it still. Anyway, I neither live in Japan or the US, but in Europe. I wanted to know if, by chance, anyone there in Europe knows where and how it's legally possible to marry a fictional character? 

I thank you for your answer,

Lord Larsa

Anthracite_Impreza

If by legal you mean legally recognised it's not 'allowed' anywhere.

Luftschlosseule

Depends really on what you mean by marrying. From what I know about Japan, it's a nice ceremony for you and the partner of your choice, yes?
But modern marriage is more, comes with benefits and duties, like you're now the next of kin and may come to hospital after an accident and get all the informations, or you're the next person to inherit, but you're also liable for your partners monetary mistakes. Since both parties need to agree to a marriage, I doubt that marrying a fictional character would be feasible before the law.

If you just want the ceremony, there might be a way to arrange that, but I fear that you'd need to arrange everything yourself.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
6 hours ago, Lord_Larsa said:

Hello to everyone,

I know it's possible now to marry a 2D character in Japan and some people did it already, and I'm not sure about the US, I think Obama said it was allowed now, but I don't know if it still. Anyway, I neither live in Japan or the US, but in Europe. I wanted to know if, by chance, anyone there in Europe knows where and how it's legally possible to marry a fictional character? 

I thank you for your answer,

Lord Larsa

I'm European but don't know whether it's legally possible to marry a fictional character yet but I'd immediatedly try to use the opportunity if so!!

Purple Wanderer

Who's the lucky character?

I'm pretty sure any sort of legal, recognized marriage (that isn't in some backwater/dystopian "society") requires, y'know, actual consent between both parties involved, which a fictional/inanimate object is obviously incapable of giving.

Carrotsandcucumbers

You can marry a fictional character, but you can't if you want children with them. Marriage laws are different in some countries, so make sure you know them. Why not hold a private party when you're marrying your character?

It's also bad if you marry one and doesn't do anything with them. 

Archived