Pronoun dysphoria?

i3utterflyeffect

i3utterflyeffect

Whenever someone calls me she/her, for some reason, it makes me feel really unsettled. I'm fine with being called a girl, but when others use female pronouns for me, it makes me feel really anxious. Should I change my pronouns?

hopeisnotlost

I personally see no problem in it.What pronouns would you like to be used?

@i3utterflyeffect, it is your right to be addressed by your preferred pronoun(s).

On the Internet its easy, but I will grant that IRL can be much harder. True friends will respect your choices. However, being realistic, choose anything other than heteronormative and you run the risk of encountering bigots and phobic behaviour. You may want to consider ditching pronouns and being addressed by your preferred name instead 

Anthracite_Impreza

Ask your friends to call you different pronouns first to see how you feel; that way if you decide you don't like them everyone else will be none the wiser. If you do, you'll have their backing.

Carrotsandcucumbers

It's okay to change your pronouns. Ask your friends to call you different pronouns and tell them how you feel about calling you in pronouns you don't like. 

PuckTheMagicDragon

I experience the same reaction when people refer to ,e using female pronouns. If you feel uncomfortable with being referred to as such, it may only get worse as time goes on. Try out different pronouns in a safe space. You are entirely valid in doing so. Good luck!

Archived