Quotes and experiences wanted for a book - TAAP

michaeld

The Asexual Awareness Project (TAAP) is working on a book covering asexuality *and* aromanticism, geared specially towards professionals, e.g. mental health, doctors and LGBTQ+ support workers. Perhaps unusually, they plan to cover aromanticism just as much as asexuality.

They are looking for a diverse range of experiences and quotes. If you'd like to take part, please fill in the survey linked here, and they will follow up with you depending on your answers. They will use whatever name or pseudonym you give them - you can make fully anonymous comments if you prefer.

The only restrictions for taking part are that you identify as somewhere on the asexual OR aromantic spectrum (or both!), and are at least 18 years old.

The Project Team has reviewed the project and we are happy to recommend participation, if you're interested. Any questions about the project, feel free to post them here and I'll pass them on.

(Note there is already a thread about this in Vis but we're putting this here to get more exposure.)

15 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I clicked on the link, but it just says "page not found".

Mine just says "unable to open the file at this time"

@michaeld, it looks like there may be a glitch in the link provided 

The link works if you eliminate the period at the end of the URL.

Yeah thanks! There was not meant to be a dot at the end. I'll remove it. Please try again!

everywhere and nowhere

I'm afraid that I have screwed up. I answered the beginning, then the part about which sub-parts I want to answer... and I was so discouraged with having to answer the beginning again that I closed the document. Can I take it again? I really want to, but I don't want to have to resubmit statistic data for each of the sub-parts...

Hi @Nowhere Girl,

You can feel free to submit the survey again. If you prefer, you can also email us at asexualawarenessproject@gmail.com, and we'll be happy to respond with the questionnaires you are interested in answering. I hope that helps!

Best,

Isabel (The Ace and Aro Advocacy Project, formerly The Asexual Awareness Project)

Chocolatastic AroAce

Do I just email the complete surveys back to them?

I’m interested in filling this in, but could someone supply a bit more information about The Asexual Awareness Project, and who is behind it, first? (Googling hasn’t helped much.)

Thanks.

Tystie - you can find more info here. Note they are renaming as "The Asexual and Aromantic Advocacy Project".

https://taaap.org/asexuality-resources/asexuality-on-the-web/

Ameline - I think you can just submit the survey results from the link provided?

Heart - I don't know about deadlines... I'll ask

On 11/13/2018 at 8:59 PM, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I clicked on the link, but it just says "page not found".

me had no problem with link or survey submission 

Hi - I'm glad there's so much interest, and thanks to everyone who's filled out the survey! We don't yet have a deadline for survey responses or for questionnaires - we'll update our social media and website as soon as there is any kind of deadline. Please send completed questionnaires back to us at asexualawarenessproject@gmail.com.

If you have any questions about us or what we're doing, you can check us out at our website, www.taaap.org, and email us at asexualawarenessproject@gmail.com. We're happy to answer any questions and give you whatever information we can!

Best,

Isabel (TAAAP)

Chocolatastic AroAce
21 hours ago, michaeld said:

Ameline - I think you can just submit the survey results from the link provided?

How do I do that if the survey is sent by email?

Hi Ameline,

You may not have received your questionnaires yet. Once you have, please fill them out and send them back to the email that contacted you - it'll be asexualawarenessproject@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Isabel (TAAAP)

3 hours ago, Ameline257 said:

How do I do that if the survey is sent by email?

Sorry, didn't realise you meant the followup survey(s). Yeah, those should be emailled back.

Ella Umbrella

They have no clue.

Hope I can help them.

Freuders...lol.  He was a Fraud.

The reality that an entire industry is based on the depraved ramblings of a dirty old man could have had so much influence boggles the mind...as was intended.

The damage he has done to the human phyche is incalculable. 

knittinghistorian
20 hours ago, Ella Umbrella said:

They have no clue.

Hope I can help them.

Freuders...lol.  He was a Fraud.

The reality that an entire industry is based on the depraved ramblings of a dirty old man could have had so much influence boggles the mind...as was intended.

The damage he has done to the human phyche is incalculable. 

Who are  you talking about?

3 hours ago, knittinghistorian said:

Who are  you talking about?

they're probably talking about Sigmund Freud, one of the first psychologists to really legitimize psychology, and particularly mental health. Unfortunately, many of his theories revolved around sex.

My favorite "how messed up was Freud" story is that of Little Hans. Basically at the time that Freud was living and working, horse drawn carriages were still a common thing. There was a baby named Hans who's father was a carriage driver, so the family owned several horses. Hans suddenly developed an intense fear of horses, so the family took him to Freud to find out what was wrong. Freud's theory was that Hans (a baby) wanted to have sex with his mother and felt threatened by his father. Somehow Hans thought the horses looked like his father and was displacing his anger onto the horses. It's a crackpot theory, and yet this guy is considered the founding father of modern psychology. 

17 hours ago, lonelyace said:

they're probably talking about Sigmund Freud, one of the first psychologists to really legitimize psychology, and particularly mental health. Unfortunately, many of his theories revolved around sex.

My favorite "how messed up was Freud" story is that of Little Hans. Basically at the time that Freud was living and working, horse drawn carriages were still a common thing. There was a baby named Hans who's father was a carriage driver, so the family owned several horses. Hans suddenly developed an intense fear of horses, so the family took him to Freud to find out what was wrong. Freud's theory was that Hans (a baby) wanted to have sex with his mother and felt threatened by his father. Somehow Hans thought the horses looked like his father and was displacing his anger onto the horses. It's a crackpot theory, and yet this guy is considered the founding father of modern psychology. 

Yeah. Totally not because he probably got hurt or scared by a horse accidentally when his parents weren't watching.... nope. That's too outlandish. Must be wanting to have sex with his mother -.-

*sigh

Anywho, I'll put this on my to do list :D 

Quick question about the introductory questions, level of education: 

What does a master's degree correspond to? Because I'm not currently in a PhD program so I can't choose "some grad school" either.. 

Hi @Vega91 -

Graduate degree counts for any post-bachelor's degree you have, including master's, PhD, JD, MD, etc. You do not currently need to be enrolled in grad school to choose "some grad school" - if you have started post-college school but not gotten a degree from that school, then you have some grad school education. If you got a post-bachelor's degree, then you can choose "graduate degree".

I hope that cleared things up - thanks for participating in our project!

Best,

Isabel (TAAAP)

knittinghistorian
On 11/20/2018 at 6:11 PM, lonelyace said:

I know who Freud is, and I have very little patience with his theories. I was wondering who Ella Umbrella thought the “Freuders” were. It seems unlikely to me that the survey-writers are Freud fans, as they believe asexuality is a thing at all!

• 2 weeks later...
Chocolatastic AroAce

I was wondering if we get any additional information once the process is complete. I don't know about anyone else but I would like to hear how the book went and maybe get a copy.

Archived