The asexual flag

Celeste987

Does anyone else sorta dislike the asexual flag? I find that when I look at it, it has such dull colors especially compared to other LGBT flags. I feel as though it gives of a feel of rather than colorful ones which appear to be happy and full of love it's as if it's saying that we don't love at all and are kinda loveless like we don't have brightness to us. 

Hi, welcome to AVEN! 🍰

Personally, I like it, but I can see where you're coming from. Purple's my favourite colour though, so there's that 😂

If you were curious, I believe the colours represent the following:

- Black:  Asexuality.

- Grey: Grey-Asexuality and Demisexuality.

- White: Non-asexual partners and allies.

- Purple: Community.

I like the flag. Vexillologists have very clear ideas of what constitutes good and bad flag design, and the asexual flag conforms to basic principles that most vexillologists would consider to be a good flag design. 

The North American Vexillological Association subscribes to five basic principles of good flag design:

1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory…

2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes…

3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set…

4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing on any kind or an organization’s seal…

5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections…

The only area where the asexual flag does not quite conform to that is that it has four basic colors and not three, but overall it is definitely a good design. 

The only thing I don't like about the asexual flag is that the base, purple, band is almost exactly the same as the gynophilia flag 

Anthracite_Impreza

I love it personally, but I'm a dull person so we complete each other :P

1 hour ago, Ortac said:

it has four basic colors

According to heraldry, white is not a colour but a metal.

1 hour ago, Jona Rhys said:

According to heraldry, white is not a colour but a metal.

That makes things even better, that means the flag completely conforms to all of the five standards!

RedSpiderLily
4 hours ago, Celeste987 said:

Does anyone else sorta dislike the asexual flag? I find that when I look at it, it has such dull colors especially compared to other LGBT flags. I feel as though it gives of a feel of rather than colorful ones which appear to be happy and full of love it's as if it's saying that we don't love at all and are kinda loveless like we don't have brightness to us. 

Funnily enough purple and black are my favourite colours so I like the flag. 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I love it. 

Too stripe-based. Most flags are just colored stripes, and that makes it hard to tell them all apart.

Tasha the demi squirrel

Initially I had issues with not having the bright colours (especially as red is my favourite colour) but I've grown fond of the Ace and Demi flags I especially like the fact that each colour has a meaning.......purple for community being my favourite since it's the brightest colour on our flags for the best meaning 

Understand with the colors, but I do not mind the flag. Especially the meaning behind it, as @Slice of Ace correctly notes!

rachelpenguin

It is literally my favourite colour combination, the only thing that would make it better imho would be glitter! 😂 But I’ll admit, it’s not as colourful as some other LGBT+ flags. 

Monochrome and purple, is that my wardrobe that I see before me! :P 

In all seriousness though, I do like the flag, not just because I like the colours but because of what they all represent too.

I love the flag. I honestly feel a little overwhelmed by the more colorful flags.

20 hours ago, Ortac said:

That makes things even better, that means the flag completely conforms to all of the five standards!

Flags, Standards 

Groan 😋 😋 

Tasha the demi squirrel
17 hours ago, Rach1234 said:

better imho would be glitter

Yes glitter makes everything better

HeartandBrain

@Ortac Have you listened to the TedTalk Roman Mars gave on flags and their properties? He does the podcast "99% Invisible" (oddly fitting for aces) and it, and the talk and the podcast are two of my favorite things! But anyway, the TedTalk goes deep into the principles of flags and it is utterly fantastic. 

As to the Ace flag...I want to like it - I like the stripes at least - I just struggle with the purple. I think it'll grow on me though.

EnterCreativeName

I love the purple. I think it fits well with the other colors. I've never had a problem with it, and I like it a lot more than some of the other flags I've seen. Some colors I think are just too bright sometimes.

Purple is my favourite colour, so I love it, haha!! But I think I get what you mean; however I’m quite shy and love our quiet little flag.

On November 15, 2018 at 6:58 PM, Who_Are_You said:

Some colors I think are just too bright sometimes.

Agreed. Plus, I believe darker colors are suppose to be set a relaxing tone (such as dark blue) So, it helps to show that there is a "sense" that the ace community is relaxed (even if this is not true!). 8);)

Actually of all the pride flags, its my favorite.  Purple is my favorite color, and I also like black a good deal.  So, it makes me comfortable to support and even where it as a symbol.

I'm with you, it feels dark and broody. Or maybe I'm just projecting self-hate regarding asexuality onto it. Either way, I'm not a fan of it and prefer other symbols or a version that uses a brighter purple and brighter gray

Archived