Fantastic Name

Pencils or Pens?

Pencils or Pens?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Pencils or Pens?

• Pencils
    • Pens
  2. 2. Wood pencils or mechanical pencils?

• Wood pencils
    • Mechanical pencils
  3. 3. Ballpoint pens or fountain pens?

• Ballpoint pens
    • Fountain pens

daveb

Yes, yellow pencils are common in the US, but there are plenty of non-yellow pencils, too.

dragon_nerd
19 hours ago, Graceful said:

Erasable pens???? Where can I get one immediately?

Tesco 

18 hours ago, Graceful said:

In other news, I wanted to fact check my years and discovered that outside of the US, pencils aren’t yellow. Can people confirm that for me?

I have seen grey, green, a different shade of green, black and yellow, black and red, plain wood and navy blue (although thats more my sketching pencils). 

• Like 1

fiѕh

this is kind of a typical pencil in Germany... has yellow stripes, at least. 

S002717C.jpg

• Like 1

Goonie

pens mostly these days. vendors give them out like crazy so I am not without. I have to sign a lot of documents that need to be done in pen. when it comes to pencils, I tend to go mechanical. for pens, I just use ballpoint

MaeveTheRaven

Kind of all of the above? I use pens for writing (mostly ballpoint, but I have a traditional-ish calligraphy pen at home) and pencils for drawing. I usually sketch with mechanical pencils then do the details with wooden ones.

• Like 1

Suigin
On 11/9/2018 at 12:57 AM, Graceful said:

I also looked up fountain pens to see what they even are and read that while they’re exclusively a rich man’s imported collector’s item in the US and not typically used, they’re common in schools in some parts of Europe. Can people also confirm that??

I live in northern Europe and here we all grew up writing with fountain pens. In fact a lot of people use them during all their time at school. I personally think they are considerably less messy than ordinary ballpoint pens. 

• Like 1

Graceful
8 hours ago, Suigin said:

I live in northern Europe and here we all grew up writing with fountain pens. In fact a lot of people use them during all their time at school. I personally think they are considerably less messy than ordinary ballpoint pens. 

Really?? How are they less messy? I’ve never seen one in person but they look like quills online. Do you dip them in ink or does it come out from the pen like regular pens?

daveb
5 minutes ago, Graceful said:

Really?? How are they less messy? I’ve never seen one in person but they look like quills online. Do you dip them in ink or does it come out from the pen like regular pens?

No dipping. They have a reservoir inside the pen that holds the ink. Most can also use cartridges for the ink.

• Like 1

Suigin
14 hours ago, Graceful said:

You know how ballpoint pen ink is sticky and gooey? If you touch it then it's practically impossible to get rid of and you smear it everywhere. Fountain pen ink is thinner and more watery, so it just goes into the paper (unlike ballpoint pen ink which is on the surface of the paper). Also some types of ink can be erased (not by friction, but by a chemical reaction) , which is extremely helpful.

• Like 1

SpaceDustbin

pencils - mechanical pencils (for general use, but I do prefer wooden pencils for drawing. Gotta love the whole set of H and B pencils) - ballpoint

Remmirath

I use mechanical pencils for just about everything, including drawing (I generally prefer 0.5mm lead for drawing and 0.3mm for writing). They're what I'm used to, and they don't need sharpening. Plus, it's easier to get fine details with them than with non-mechanical ones, or at least for me.

I use nib pens for inking art, which are not an option here, but I have one nice ballpoint pen that I use for signing things and writing things that I want written in ink. I've never used a fountain pen.

• Like 1