Pencils or Pens?

Fantastic Name

Pencils or Pens?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Pencils or Pens?

• Pencils
    • Pens
  2. 2. Wood pencils or mechanical pencils?

• Wood pencils
    • Mechanical pencils
  3. 3. Ballpoint pens or fountain pens?

• Ballpoint pens
    • Fountain pens

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes, yellow pencils are common in the US, but there are plenty of non-yellow pencils, too.

19 hours ago, Graceful said:

Erasable pens???? Where can I get one immediately?

Tesco 

18 hours ago, Graceful said:

In other news, I wanted to fact check my years and discovered that outside of the US, pencils aren’t yellow. Can people confirm that for me?

I have seen grey, green, a different shade of green, black and yellow, black and red, plain wood and navy blue (although thats more my sketching pencils). 

this is kind of a typical pencil in Germany... has yellow stripes, at least. 

S002717C.jpg

pens mostly these days. vendors give them out like crazy so I am not without. I have to sign a lot of documents that need to be done in pen. when it comes to pencils, I tend to go mechanical. for pens, I just use ballpoint

Kind of all of the above? I use pens for writing (mostly ballpoint, but I have a traditional-ish calligraphy pen at home) and pencils for drawing. I usually sketch with mechanical pencils then do the details with wooden ones.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:57 AM, Graceful said:

I also looked up fountain pens to see what they even are and read that while they’re exclusively a rich man’s imported collector’s item in the US and not typically used, they’re common in schools in some parts of Europe. Can people also confirm that??

I live in northern Europe and here we all grew up writing with fountain pens. In fact a lot of people use them during all their time at school. I personally think they are considerably less messy than ordinary ballpoint pens. 

8 hours ago, Suigin said:

I live in northern Europe and here we all grew up writing with fountain pens. In fact a lot of people use them during all their time at school. I personally think they are considerably less messy than ordinary ballpoint pens. 

Really?? How are they less messy? I’ve never seen one in person but they look like quills online. Do you dip them in ink or does it come out from the pen like regular pens?

5 minutes ago, Graceful said:

Really?? How are they less messy? I’ve never seen one in person but they look like quills online. Do you dip them in ink or does it come out from the pen like regular pens?

No dipping. They have a reservoir inside the pen that holds the ink. Most can also use cartridges for the ink.

14 hours ago, Graceful said:

You know how ballpoint pen ink is sticky and gooey? If you touch it then it's practically impossible to get rid of and you smear it everywhere. Fountain pen ink is thinner and more watery, so it just goes into the paper (unlike ballpoint pen ink which is on the surface of the paper). Also some types of ink can be erased (not by friction, but by a chemical reaction) , which is extremely helpful.

pencils - mechanical pencils (for general use, but I do prefer wooden pencils for drawing. Gotta love the whole set of H and B pencils) - ballpoint

I use mechanical pencils for just about everything, including drawing (I generally prefer 0.5mm lead for drawing and 0.3mm for writing). They're what I'm used to, and they don't need sharpening. Plus, it's easier to get fine details with them than with non-mechanical ones, or at least for me.

I use nib pens for inking art, which are not an option here, but I have one nice ballpoint pen that I use for signing things and writing things that I want written in ink. I've never used a fountain pen.

J. van Deijck

I just love all pens in the world 😍 I collect them actually.

My preferred writing utensil for writing and drawing is a black ballpoint pen.

I don't mind fountain pens, but I don't buy them because I like ballpoint more and they're expensive, I used to lose my fountain pens all the time back when I was in school, I lost my pencils and cheap pens a lot as well, but fountain pens cost 11 or so Euros to replace, pencils and cheap pens aren't as expensive to lose. 

Pencils are useful, but I prefer pen (both ballpoint and fountain, except if it's a fountain pen you have to dip in ink), also things in pencil seem kind of unfinished to me. 

Mechanical pencils I don't use. 

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who sits next to me in organic chemistry uses pen. I can't imagine how much confidence that requires.

I used to LOVE pencils because I'm always so paranoid I'll make a mistake but I've been moving toward pens because of all the fun colors. I typically prefer wood pencils to mechanical, though, because mechanical pencils always break

RoseGoesToYale

Graah... I can't decide! On one hand, pens are faster and more fluid, but then with pencils you can file the end at and angle and get really pretty cursive that way.

I want to love fountain pens so much, but I can't figure out how to work them... I get ink drops everywhere.

I love all of them though maybe pens over pencils because pens are easier to write with, when using pencils my handwriting is too light. (My handwriting is VERY messy and very "light" because I don't put a lot of pressure - I naturally write really quickly and writing slowly hurts my hand (and it makes my brain feel "weird" for some reason))

Pens for text, pencils for maths and drawings.

I like pens the most for drawing and writing.

Can I write with fountain pens? Nope. I like fine line pens the best, such as those 'Uni-ball Eye' ones. Biros/ballpoint pens are always there to be used.

Which type of pencil I prefer depends on what for. Mechanical pencils aren't much help for tonal sketching, but are useful in other ways (when they don't break).

I'm left handed so I hate pencils, they smear so badly. I love Uni Ball signo pens, the ink dries fast enough to not leave smudges.

I have always been a pen freak, plain and simple. Unless I'm doing a puzzle that requires a lot of erasing, I always have a pen, BIC, black ink, black cap, the clear ones with ridges...and then I have to turn the cap to line up with the words on it, *rme* Yeah, really...it's nuts. However, I love fountain pens because they produce lettering that you can't get with a ballpoint so I really hated choosing one or the other. 

PENS RULE!

~Hank, the pen fiend

ThePhenixCode

I much prefer to use pencil because with my autism a pen is too stressful as I tend to make too many mistakes and then have to completly start again.

I could not vote on any of them. I use pencils for things that I know I will need some erasures (D&D notes etc), I prefer pens (gel, fine) for most note taking (I am left handed and most ballpoints smear)

I like both wood and mechanical pencils. Wood feels better but you need a sharpener.

I really like fountain pens but they work very poorly being pushed which is how you write when you are left handed so I use fine point gel pens.

And I REALLY prefer making written notes to typing into a computer list or even worse using a cell or tablet (I have trouble with touch devices, I don't even use the touchpad on my laptop)

• 11 months later...

@Fantastic Name

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived