Pencils or Pens?

Fantastic Name

Pencils or Pens?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Pencils or Pens?

• Pencils
    • Pens
  2. 2. Wood pencils or mechanical pencils?

• Wood pencils
    • Mechanical pencils
  3. 3. Ballpoint pens or fountain pens?

• Ballpoint pens
    • Fountain pens

This poll is closed to new votes

Fantastic Name

Just curious. 🙃

Personally, I prefer mechanical pencils and ballpoint pens for general use. I go through a lot of lead (I'm a student, and I draw a ton), and I use mechanical pencils for the sake of convenience. Also, I hate ballpoint pens with a passion, but fountain pens and ink cartridges are way too expensive for me to justify using one.

Mechanical Pencils and Fountain Pens(those are my favorites, but I can't use them all the time) were my picks.

Ballpoint pens as an ideal. Wooden pencils as I keep breaking the lead in propelling ones 

At least being Ace having lead in the pencil isn't a major issue 😋 😋 

That Demi Mammoth

Interesting to see that wooden and mechanical pencils are tied at the moment.

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, RiddleMeThisTom said:

Mechanical pencils drive me crazy. The lead is much too thin and much too breakable.

I'm not sure if they are still produced - I think the one I had was an Ostblock product - but some mechanical pencils have thick lead and are generally thicker. Nevertheless, I prefer traditional pencils.

As for pens, definitely ballpoint pens. With a thick black line - some have such thin lines that they are hard to see between the lines.

And anyway, I have never been able to write in a way legible to others - also before I have even heard about computers...

I couldn't vote because my preferences depend largely on the occasion. At uni I always carry at least one biro and one pencil with me. Pencil for notes and doodles that I might want to erase. For personal letters and birthday cards as well as calligraphy I use a fountain pen.

The only kind I don't use are mechanical pencils. I've never liked them.

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Ballpoint pens as an ideal. Wooden pencils as I keep breaking the lead in propelling ones 

You need one with a 0.9mm or a 0.7mm lead. I really like my 0.9mm propelling pencil; 0.7mm ones are usually OK too. 

Propelling pencils most commonly use 0.3mm or 0.5mm leads which are hopeless because as you say, they keep breaking. 

Pencils when I’m playing sudoku or drawing, pens for everything else.

Wood pencils 

Ballpoint pens

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I make geometric designs , so I use mechanic pencils, and ballpoint pens and rulers after I get all the needed lines done with the pencil, I  go over it with the pen. I have over 67 and working on 5 new ones.

11rydll.jpg

This would have been one of the first ones I did since 2009( last year in high school). I use centimeters when I draw these.

My short answer is yes. Longer answer is, it depends. I use wood pencils, mechanical pencils, ballpoint pens, fountain pens, dip pens, technical pens, drawing pens; whatever the occasion calls for. For general writing (letters, bills, notes, etc.) I prefer a black ballpoint pen. For general drawing, doodling, sketching, marking things for cutting, I tend to go with a wooden pencil.

Generally speaking, I prefer pens to pencil. In pencils, I go for wooden pencils while pens is ball points :)

everywhere and nowhere

Btw: I found a photo of a thick-lead mechanical pencil. I was right, it was a Czechoslovak product. However, such stuff is still produced - I also found mechanical crayons by Koh-i-Noor on the Web. They have thick lead just like this one.

330px-Olowk_automat_RB.jpg

What about erasable pens?

I have an old Staedtler mechanical pencil that holds a fairly thick lead. Similar to this (which you can still buy, I believe)

staedtler-mars-780-technical-mechanical-

I routinely carry TWO biros with me at all times. Both of the four color variety; one with 1.0mm points and one with 0.7mm points. Always having these pens in my pockets is something of an OCD habit for me. I don't want to risk not having a pen when I need one; I would probably get anxious and irritable if that happened.

I don't think I have used a fountain pen since my school days. I do have one hidden away in a drawer somewhere but it might take me a while to find it if I ever want it. 

Pencils, though I almost never use them. Mechanical is more convenient. I’ve never even seen a fountain pen.

3 hours ago, dragon_nerd said:

What about erasable pens?

Erasable pens???? Where can I get one immediately?

Pens! they are so much more easier to write with and so much more smoother

1 hour ago, Graceful said:

Your local drug store or a Target/Walmart might have them! The ones I had were never really good though... so it was just better to use pencil and erase lol.

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

At least being Ace having lead in the pencil isn't a major issue 😋 😋 

Pencils have never been made with lead. 😜 In the 1500s, people thought graphite was a type of lead. If you constantly gnawed on lots of pencils made prior to the late 1970s, it is possible you could get lead poisoning because paints were often made with lead until then. (Though lead poisoning is caused by prolonged exposure.) Reduced fertility would be the least of anyone’s concerns if they did get it.

In other news, I wanted to fact check my years and discovered that outside of the US, pencils aren’t yellow. Can people confirm that for me? 

july5-5.jpg?resize=700,379&ssl=1

I also looked up fountain pens to see what they even are and read that while they’re exclusively a rich man’s imported collector’s item in the US and not typically used, they’re common in schools in some parts of Europe. Can people also confirm that??

1 hour ago, Graceful said:

Frixion pens by Pilot are really good, but I haven't seen them in stores in a while. :( (granted I don't go to many stores) 

3 hours ago, Graceful said:

they’re exclusively a rich man’s imported collector’s item in the US

That part is not true. It is true that there are people who collect pricey ones and you can spend a LOT on some, it's also possible to get much more affordable ones. And I know people who like to write with them. Someone even gave me one for my birthday. I don't know about schools, but would guess they don't commonly use fountain pens. 

14 hours ago, Graceful said:

outside of the US, pencils aren’t yellow. Can people confirm that for me? 

Really? Yellow pencils? How boring.

bedruckte-bleistifte-werbebleistifte-wer

17 hours ago, Graceful said:

Pencils have never been made with lead. 😜 In the 1500s, people thought graphite was a type of lead. If you constantly gnawed on lots of pencils made prior to the late 1970s, it is possible you could get lead poisoning because paints were often made with lead until then. (Though lead poisoning is caused by prolonged exposure.) Reduced fertility would be the least of anyone’s concerns if they did get it.

In other news, I wanted to fact check my years and discovered that outside of the US, pencils aren’t yellow. Can people confirm that for me? 

july5-5.jpg?resize=700,379&ssl=1

I also looked up fountain pens to see what they even are and read that while they’re exclusively a rich man’s imported collector’s item in the US and not typically used, they’re common in schools in some parts of Europe. Can people also confirm that?i

I did have yellow ones in my school days for art (2b) and tech graphics (2h).

But there is green, red, multicoloured pencils.

I was at a lecture in October where they were handing out free pencils (courtesy of the  Irish tax payer, my tax euro at work :) also got a free pen)1 which were white with the revenue commissioners album

Archived