New Article Frames Asexuality as Anti-Capitalist!

Pramana

There's a new journal article written from a Marxist-feminist perspective which argues that asexual self-identification presents a political challenge to neoliberal capitalism. Here's the abstract:

"This paper seeks to expand the work of Marxist-feminist scholars Rosemary Hennessy and Nancy Fraser by placing it into conversation with the emerging work of scholars of asexuality and asexual identity. In resisting the tendency to reify the identity category of “asexual” as a newly emerging and dialogically structured identity which stands in opposition to the “allosexual,” this paper will rather attempt to determine its nature as a historically structured and contingent emergence of a particular moment in neoliberal capitalism. From this, it will argue that there need not be a tension between the notions of “compulsory sexuality” and “sexusociety” developed by scholars such as Elizabeth Emens and Ela Przybylo. It will be demonstrated that asexuality can be used as a positional tool in order to illuminate the totality of sexuality as a reified and commodified entity under late capitalism, one which is useful for understanding and resisting the capitalist historical (re)organization of human potentials for sensation and affect."

Vance, Carter. "Unwilling Consumers: A Historical Materialist Conception of Compulsory Sexuality." Global Movement Assemblages 12, no. 1 (2018): 133-151.
https://journals.library.brocku.ca/index.php/SSJ/article/view/1537

6 minutes ago, Pramana said:

It will be demonstrated that asexuality can be used as a positional tool in order to illuminate the totality of sexuality as a reified and commodified entity under late capitalism, one which is useful for understanding and resisting the capitalist historical (re)organization of human potentials for sensation and affect."

What does who I want to bang have to do with capitalism? Just let me bang whoever the frick I do or don't want to without having to turn it into an obscure political/economical/philosophical debate, please! (this isn't at you Pramana, but at the author/s of that article. I just find it funny when people try to turn sexual identities into some kind of obscure political or philosophical argument - Some people just have too much time on their hands me thinks!) :P 

37 minutes ago, Sally said:

That article is just bloody ridiculous.  

Well done - I barely made it through the abstract!

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Well... I'm asexual and anti-capitalist so maybe they're onto something. :ph34r:

I clicked on the link and looked at the reference articles.  Some interesting titles. 

Queer theory and the death drive sounds like the name of a metal band. 

Sometimes....I feel like people who... research asexuality sneak on AVEN and go through the forums on what some of us are talking about and like to draw generalized conclusions about our whooooole community, which is never good to

do 🙃

I'm not saying that's what's happening, but that's kinda what it seems like sometimes😒

8 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

Sometimes....I feel like people who... research asexuality sneak on AVEN and go through the forums on what some of us are talking about and like to draw generalized conclusions about our whooooole community, which is never good to

do 🙃

I'm not saying that's what's happening, but that's kinda what it seems like sometimes😒

More likely what you're seeing are pure theory articles that don't use empirical evidence at all. It's standard methodology in queer theory to talk about asexuality as a symbol with the power to disrupt oppressive discourses.

2 minutes ago, Pramana said:

More likely what you're seeing are pure theory articles that don't use empirical evidence at all. It's standard methodology in queer theory to talk about asexuality as a symbol with the power to disrupt oppressive discourses.

I'm old enough to have been around when queer theory was used to examine AIDS discourse.  There was just a tiny skosh of relevance to that, but over the years the relevance has drained out of queer theory.  

Janus the Fox

To me Aces just like anyone in most western cultures engage in capitalism all the same way, aces are not actively disengaging from the capitalist economy, simply based on the lack of sexuality.

Anthracite_Impreza
On 11/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

Well... I'm asexual and anti-capitalist so maybe they're onto something. :ph34r:

They have discovered us :o

Divide By Zero
On 11/5/2018 at 12:47 PM, Pramana said:

There's a new journal article written from a Marxist-feminist perspective

Is there anything written from a Marxist-masculine perspective? :P

Divide By Zero
1 hour ago, Pramana said:

I know you know that this never happens.

Hence the emoticon :)

Lord Happy Toast

I duckduckgo'ed "Marxist-masculine", and two of the top 5 results were for "Adjectives that start with m".

My eyes just did a 180 in their sockets.

Archived