CNN Philippines' article on asexuality

karnzter

Oh my stars! I can't believe this would happen despite all of the amatonormativity and influence of local and foreign media. I was doing a random Google while in-between composing an email and saw this here! It's a stepping stone for Filipino aces to be finally recognized and have the visibility and educational knowledge we all need.

Interesting, it was well written and covered a lot of the bases that ace people have to deal with. I have a question though what is a halaman? The article mentions its some kind of Philippine slang that can be offensive to aces, but I don't know what it's slang for. 

18 minutes ago, Norellia said:

Interesting, it was well written and covered a lot of the bases that ace people have to deal with. I have a question though what is a halaman? The article mentions its some kind of Philippine slang that can be offensive to aces, but I don't know what it's slang for. 

"Halal" is a term for purity, which usually is for food sometimes behavior, it's a bit hard to describe because I'm not Islamic. But that could possibly be related to "halaman" not sure, don't quote me

@Norellia @The Dryad Halaman is plant in Tagalog. The whole 'aces are just plants' also covers us in a way here.

9 minutes ago, karnzter said:

@Norellia @The Dryad Halaman is plant in Tagalog. The whole 'aces are just plants' also covers us in a way here.

This makes me laugh (I'm sorry, I know being labeled like that is irritating), but the idea that every culture and language on earth would still come to roughly the same conclusion about aces is funny. You could go to some remote section of the Amazon and meet a tribe that has barely ever had contact with the outside world. You have a discussion via a translator, and sexuality comes up, so you mention that you are asexual. The guy pauses, thinks, then says something. You ask the translator "what did he say?" "he asks if you are an ameoba"

8 hours ago, divided_sky said:

This makes me laugh (I'm sorry, I know being labeled like that is irritating), but the idea that every culture and language on earth would still come to roughly the same conclusion about aces is funny. You could go to some remote section of the Amazon and meet a tribe that has barely ever had contact with the outside world. You have a discussion via a translator, and sexuality comes up, so you mention that you are asexual. The guy pauses, thinks, then says something. You ask the translator "what did he say?" "he asks if you are an ameoba"

In your specific case I'm sure that question would come up well before asexuality is mentioned.

(Sorry for bringing my divvy-burns into World Watch. Carry on with your lovely conversations on coverage of asexual issues.)

12 hours ago, divided_sky said:

It does remind one of the original amoeba analogy, and people have called us plants forever anyways...and I'm a Dryad so this rings true. 

Honestly, this was really interesting to learn, and and shows what little I know of Filipino culture...which is sad because my cousins half Filipino and he's marrying a Filipino lady.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the article. It covers the basics very well and I like that they tied it to the wider queer advocacy movement.

Archived