Where were you and what were you doing on the day Live aid was broadcast?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi,

I went to see the biopic about Freddie Mercury today and it got me thinking....I remember it very clearly, as I was with three friends , visiting them in their Glasgow flat (Dumbarton Road to be precise) and we stayed up the whole night.

So, as we're of the times that produced these landmark events- what were you doing and where were you at the time? Did anyone manage to score tickets for the stadia?

i was 395 days old when it was held on 13 july 1985 :)

I, sadly, wasn't born then. I'm glad that you got the chance to go see that event (and Queen) in particular.

And I can't wait for the movie!

12 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

haha! But you still sang along, right?😆

it moved me to tears ;)

Diamond Ace of Hearts

I was also not yet born.

Man I wish I was alive to see Freddy perform. The movie reminded me that although he world forces me to present a John Deacon visage, I've always had a lot of Freddy Mercury about my inner self. It probably comes of watching Queen music videos constantly between the ages of about 2 and 6, singing and dancing along with a mophandle for a mic stand.

My mother was pregnant with me. I haven't actually asked, but I assume she watched it, as her and my father were into (still into) a lot of the acts who supported it. 

Sorry, I don't recall what I was doing at the time, I was 1 year old ^_^

I do remember this fellow, though:

I have no recollection of how the Berlin Wall came down, but I do remember Hasselhoff, how embarrassing :D

I was at home. Our family watching the first few hours huddled around a 14" TV 

Strange But Not a Stranger

I was 5 years old. I don't seem to remember much of it. 😄

I do remember sometimes watching MTV with my dad, from when I was about 7 years old or something. I think that sparked my interest in music.

That wasn't the question though. 😛

I was at home. Watched some of it on the telly.

(Probably, MTV. *I remember representatives from MTV coming to my grade school, giving out pins & things, telling us about a new music channel that was coming*)

Live Aid was held just across the bridge, in Philadelphia. Maybe 10-15 minutes from my house. Knew some people who went.

Thought it was cool that Phil Collins played in London, then flew to Philadelphia to perform again.

Coily the Spring Sprite

I remember being aware of it, but since my folks never got cable I don't think I saw it. If I did see parts of it, it would have been at a friends house. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was 14 years old and watched it at a friends house because my family didn't have a TV. 

I was 8 and we didn't get the right channel, so I was probably playing outside.  Fortunately, I saw the Freddie Mercury/Queen movie last weekend, so I got to see their part of the performance.  Well, it wasn't the same, but it is as close as I am going to get...

1985 or 1986

1was  15/16 years old . All i remember was Madonna and Queen preforming 

AFlyingPiglet

I've been to see the film twice with my mum who loves Queen.  We went for the second time today.

When it was Live Aid, my family and I were travelling all that day from the Midlands to the Isle of Wight for the start of our family holiday so we missed it unfortunately.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 11/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, Sleepy Otter said:

I was 8 and we didn't get the right channel, so I was probably playing outside.  Fortunately, I saw the Freddie Mercury/Queen movie last weekend, so I got to see their part of the performance.  Well, it wasn't the same, but it is as close as I am going to get...

18 hours ago, AFlyingPiglet said:

I've been to see the film twice with my mum who loves Queen.  We went for the second time today.

When it was Live Aid, my family and I were travelling all that day from the Midlands to the Isle of Wight for the start of our family holiday so we missed it unfortunately.

As far as I know , the whole Live Aid thing can be found on DVD, as can a good few of Queen's concerts. I haven't looked for them myself, I managed to video two whole live Queen gigs when they played at Wembley and Knebworth though.

As @chandrakirtisays, there is a DVD box set of the live aid concert. Massive nostalgia trip 😋 😋 

I had a TV back then ( don't now) and I watched it. I'm a big Queen fan anyway and I remember thinking they were magnificent. I remember reading a comment Midge Ure made at the time. He said that he'd never liked Queen much but when he'd stood in the wings and watched that performance , he'd been knocked out and that it was the performance of the night. I don't think I've ever seen anybody so in total charge of his audience as Freddie Mercury was that night.

6 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

As far as I know , the whole Live Aid thing can be found on DVD, as can a good few of Queen's concerts. I haven't looked for them myself, I managed to video two whole live Queen gigs when they played at Wembley and Knebworth though.

I will have to check that out.  I did go home after the movie and buy several cds though, so I'm off to a good start : )  Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
Back to Avalon

If you just want Queen's performance from Live Aid, it's included as an extra on Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid. I still haven't watched the Montreal concert in its entirety. I've just watched their Live Aid performance about a half-dozen times.

Phantasmal Fingers

Two days before I was 21!

Who was I?

I was a student with a very sarcastic sense of humour and an obsession with serial killers, mass murder, the holocaust and Hitler in particular.

Favourite authors, Carlyle (especially the more bloodthirsty parts of 'The French Revolution' and the essay on Model Prisons in 'Latter Day Pamphlets', Macaulay (for the description of The Bloody Assize in the History), Nietzsche and - of course - de Quincey, mostly for 'The English Mail Coach' and 'On Murder Considered As One of The Fine Arts'.

Favourite music, Purcell's 'Music for the Death of Queen Mary', Siegfried's funeral idyll, the 'Todt und Verklarung' of Richard Strauss and anything at all by Carlo Gesualdo.

Serves you right for asking! :P

Archived