Article from Slate: It’s Time to Start Treating Asexual and Aromantic People Like the Adults We Are

kel naismith

I read this yesterday.  Other than promoting asexuality awareness week, I thought it was a poorly-written article with very little substance.

Lol that first picture. I don't understand why the push for acceptance seems to involve demanding to be included into someone else's group. I can't blame any LGBT people for being a bit hostile towards us about that

Personally, I thought it was written fairly well 🤔 for what it is, but meh. More exposure is always good.

@kel naismith That's for the link. :) 

I enjoyed reading that article. I can relate to a lot of what the author said. I've been treated as "odd" for not desiring romantic/sexual relationships with others. It's just not really my thing, never has been, and probably won't ever be. I understand the frustration of being treated like a child just because you have little to no interest in dating and sex. I'm just not interested in that sort of thing. And that's okay, just like it's okay for others to be interested in those things. I don't think that it makes anyone better or less than someone else. Just different. I personally wouldn't mind seeing more representation out there, though. 

I don't think it was poorly written...it certainly wasn't a scholarly article, but that clearly wasn't the author's intention. I'm happy for any piece of writing that attempts to bring a little visibility to us :) 

As for the subject of the article, I definitely identify with what she wrote. I've been infantilized by my friends and coworkers, many of whom are around the same age as me, and called "young" and "naïve" and "too pure for this world" in an almost condescending way. These people all have good intentions and are just joking around, and most are my friends, but it's still a bit demeaning that they see me as less of an adult because I'm not sexual and don't discuss that aspect of my life- and I'm not even out as asexual. I just don't respond when the conversation turns to sex anymore, so I've been labelled nonsexual by a few people. But the idea that I'm less mature than a sexual person is ridiculous. I finished college, have a good job, pay my bills, have a good relationship, and support my family and friends, despite struggling with anxiety and depressive episodes. Just because I'm not having sex doesn't mean I'm not a mature adult. I've been treated this way for enjoying "childish" things like video games and stuffed animals too. The fact still stands- I'm doing well in life and making good choices, I am mature and I'm proud of myself. Don't let anyone tell you differently :)

It's a good article. Some of the comments are kinda stupid, though.  But yes, people do tend to infantilize asexual people, and the ironic thing is, I know a lot of highly sexual people who are extremely immature... (don't know if there is a connection with a high sex drive and immaturity, but anyway...)... it's a good article.

Archived