Asexuals, aromantics, and/or aroaces: how do you respond to those who show interest in you romantically?

sacred-stoner

step 1: drop hints that i'm not interested in people sexually or romantically. usually as a joke. any hints at romantic/sexual interest will be deflected with a joke or offhand comment that i'm not interested in people that way, or feigned ignorance.

step 2: tell them that i'm not interested in them that way, and will never be. this step is usually taken after a confession has been made, or if their hints are becoming too pressing to ignore. usually starts with a "i realise that you're interested in me but...". it's not easy, but i'd rather tell them explicitly and in no uncertain terms, so that if they still continue to press interest, i can be sure that it's not my fault for making myself clear enough.

step 3: avoidance. if they still want to approach me with sexual or romantic interest despite what i've said, or even convince me that i hold some suppressed interest in them, them i'll go out of my way to avoid them. 

Gotta either come out and tell them or just fall back completely. I find that I end up having to cut a person loose for such things because for some people its unhealthy to maintain a friendship with someone you'll never have a romantic chance with.

Archived