Anime or Manga?

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

Alejandrogynous

Anime, for me. I used to read a lot of manga but for some reason I lost the urge years ago. The only manga I read nowadays are for Japanese reading practice. 

I’m a fan of both, but I lean a little toward anime because that’s the medium I started with. Plus, manga and reading in general just take more focus for me so I have to be in the right mood. 

Both. I tend to read manga that doesn't have an anime adaptation, though. For a few manga, I started reading where the anime stopped. Those turned out better than their anime counterparts. Like, Fruits Basket, Kuroshitsuji (which is still going/I'm still reading), Pandora Hearts, and Hitman Reborn. Anime has a lot going for it. The music, great voice acting (I can't stand dub...), movement, and more. Manga has a different 'flair' but is just as good. I could read fast enough where it seems to 'move', there are no 'distractions', you're mind gives the characters unique voices, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anime for me. I like manga too but anime is easier to access (streaming compared to buying books) and I like the music!

I used to read a lot of manga before but lost interest, Now I prefer watching the anime but I do read at least the first volume of a series I might be interested in to see what it is like, then progress to the anime. 

• 3 months later...
  • I started with televised English dubbed anime, gradually switched to manga starting with Inuyasha due to impatience with fillers/delayed broadcasts and the crude language used in the manga was funny as hell.
  • After Full Metal Alchemist, I didn't watch anime for years. Only read manga. 
  • Then Bleach dragged on, I hated where Inuyasha was headed, and I lost interest in Naruto. Stopped reading manga. Read Western comics for a year. 
  • More time passes. In the process of tidying my room I start searching for my FMA: Conqueror of Shamballa DVD, then I search for the movie online. This leads me to learning that Full Metal Alchemist was just a loose adaptation of the manga. I read the manga. I love it. I watch FMA: Brotherhood. I love it. And for the past 2-3 years I've been watching anime and manga. Sometimes dubbed (FMA: Brotherhood, Mob Psycho, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Samurai Champloo, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, AoT season 1) and sometimes subbed (AoT season 2, OnePunch Man, Parasyte, Tokyo Ghoul, Vampire Knight [I only recommend the manga]) depending on how well the voices suit the character and scenes.

Depends on the genre, for me. I prefer manga in general because it's faster. I can read a lot of chapters in the time it takes to watch one episode of anime, especially if I'm watching it current and have to wait a week between episodes. 

Shounen and action-oriented shows, however, I prefer anime. I don't get the full picture when reading fight scenes in One Piece for example. I like seeing the fluid movements to get the full idea of what's happening.

Okay, went on a rant about why I prefer the DragonBall anime (the whole series) to it's manga for the character moments. Here's that if you're okay with a fangirl just going off...

Spoiler

My only exception to this is the DragonBall series (my all time favorite anime). I LOVE the anime series. I recently watched all of DB and the manga is pretty good too. The action isn't too detail-oriented so I don't feel like I miss anything if I read the manga in that regard.

Except the character stuff that happens in the filler is amazing. My all time favorite episodes are sometimes filler, or small details that are added to the anime to make it feel more alive than the manga did. (For an example, look how obsessed the VegeBul fandom is with the 3 and 7 year gaps with only one episode of VegeBul stuff to go on that wasn't in the manga).

Also, the DBS manga disappoints me so much. They skip so much. Bulla's birth is like an episode of it's own with details added to other episodes with amazing visuals and comments from characters about what it means to them. Vegeta shows so much growth from DBZ when he brushed Bulma and an infant Trunks off as "that woman and her child". While I don't own the DBS manga so can't recall exactly what was covered, I only remember a small panel with Bulma handing Bulla over to Vegeta and him saying "Oh, it's a girl!" Meanwhile the anime had him muttering to himself about possible Saiyan names to give her, too embarrassed to admit that's what he was doing to Trunks, not holding Bulla of his own freewill but being pissed when others made her cry, and Bulma being able to understand he wanted to hold her and getting Trunks to give the baby to him. 

I'm a fangirl, I admit, but the little details, DB, the little details! They're why I love you.

Oh, the genre is also super important since many genre don't get good anime adaptations. My favorite manga Gokusen got a really bad anime adaptation but a beloved drama series (not a big fan, but meh). But yaoi as a genre doesn't always get adapted well. I love Koisuru Boukun, for example, and it has 11 volumes right now I think, and only has 2 episodes of an anime adapting one volume.  Vassalord is a great manga with one anime episode that covers the first weird and random chapter of Vassalord and doesn't even touch on the plot of the series. 

Member131995

I kind of like both but I lean toward manga because I like reading and also because I don't always like sitting down to watch anime because I have a short attention span, reading tends to engage me more.

Anime takes me so much time to actually finish. Sitting down, waiting and waiting... I like reading manga more because I go much faster when reading it.

Manga because the art is almost always better and it's closer to the creators intention. Only exception is if it's something I haven't seen before and don't know if it has a manga. Like for example I first watched One Punch Man and had no idea it had a manga, I'm holding off reading it for season 2. Shows like The Promised Neverland however are different. I watched episode 1 and was hooked but I bulk read the whole manga in three nights before episode 2 came out. I can bulk read anything gritty like that. Anime cuts things out too often also or adapts it poorly. Naruto is one of the series I wasn't happy with the adaption. In my opinion it needs higher quality animation like MHA and to cut out the filler as it dragged most people's enjoyment down. The OPs and EDs were almost always top notch however.

Dubs v Subs I almost always go subs. Some exceptions however are Durarara!! and Naruto. Durarara!! has some great voice acting and I love Crispin Freeman. Naruto dubbers have some strange pronunciations but I'm used to the dub now. I watch subs for that too though. Sometimes it's so I don't have to read it out for my sister too. Kiznaiver has a good dub too. I don't like how there's a limited pool of voice actors for the American dubs though, it's annoying always having the same voices and sometimes they sound awful.

With Naruto I also watch for specific voices. For the English voices I love Kakuzu, Kisame, Itachi, Sasuke, Naruto, Karin, Suigetsu, Deidara, Sasori, Hidan, Sai, Killer Bee and Madara's voices (old Madara you know the one). Well actually pretty much everyone.

Japanese dub I like Deidara, Hidan, Sasuke, Naruto, Sakura and a bunch of others. Honestly now that I think about it there's no voices I dislike. Kakuzu has a great English voice though lol.

i prefer manga but i usually only ever watch anime because i’m too lazy to go out and get some mangas

Hands down Manga.

Just like with books vs movies, you get a much more in-depth story. The characters have more personality and truth to be told the manga tends to be darker than the anime.

I also find it easier to find good free online resources for manga than good streaming services for anime that won't charge you dry. 

That said the new Dororo anime is way better than the old one and the manga.

Archived