An Article I Saw on the Odyssey About Asexuality - "When I Realized I Was Asexual, Things Got a Bit More Complicated"

Artemis Fox

• 1 month later...

Starting now, as I put them in the index I'm going to read and give my thoughts on the content posted if I have time.

I really like this article. It explains a lot of different ways a single person can be ace all at once, and some of the challenges we face (such as the almost mandatory requirement to have sex and marry as part of a relationship with someone you're close to). I also like that the author talks about how we don't have to adopt specific identities straight away, despite the pressure from some, who seems to need to know "what we are".

What do you think about the article, @Artemis Fox

I believe it is very relateable, especially how it can be hard to pin down what you really feel and what you wish you felt. Like, I believe I want a romantic committed relationship, but I've never really felt romantically attracted to anyone. It is hard to juggle those feelings.

Also, I agree with the idea of being open to changes in yourself but also not being afraid to define who you are now. People want to know who you are by reject it in favor of who you might be. Both versions, present and potential future, of you deserve acknowledgment.

31 minutes ago, Artemis Fox said:

Also, I agree with the idea of being open to changes in yourself but also not being afraid to define who you are now.

Agreed. The idea that you can only choose one identity forever and you must conform to it is harmful. It's one of the reasons I tend to just go with queer now over anything more specific. From a personal perspective, I thought and absolutely believed I was aromantic for a couple of years, and because of that I mistook/ignored my romantic feelings for people. It took my girlfriend confessing her feelings for me (and a fair amount of support and advice from her on what romantic feelings actually felt like) to be able to figure out that I'm technically panro-ace.

Archived