Coming out at work

rachelpenguin

On 11/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Noko42 said:

The only person who actually asked me what my sexuality was, was my boss so I came out to him first.

If you don't mind me asking, why did your boss ask you? It's just that I can't even imagine my boss doing that....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, chandrakirti said:

in a close office environment the inevitable 'why don't you have a SO ?' comes up pretty fast,

This floors me, as I have never been asked why I don't have an SO.  The answer must be as plain as the nose on my face!

• 2 weeks later...
rachelpenguin

So I came out to one of my trusted colleagues. They said it doesn’t change their opinion of me in the slightest. I know it does against everyone’s advice (I’m so sorry) but I felt like I was going to explode. 

47 minutes ago, Rach1234 said:

So I came out to one of my trusted colleagues. They said it doesn’t change their opinion of me in the slightest. I know it does against everyone’s advice (I’m so sorry) but I felt like I was going to explode. 

So glad it was a positive response. Sounds like you have a great co-worker.

2 hours ago, Rach1234 said:

Confiding in someone can be a great release. I'm glad it worked out.

And also impressed that you thought to take advice before acting and then weighed it all up and decided what was best for you.

• 1 month later...
rachelpenguin

Things are so much easier now that I'm out to a few people at work. It's not affected work whatsoever, but it's nice knowing that I can talk about the prejudice I face sometimes.

21 hours ago, Rach1234 said:

Things are so much easier now that I'm out to a few people at work. It's not affected work whatsoever, but it's nice knowing that I can talk about the prejudice I face sometimes.

Thats wonderful. When I came out recently to a friend, she asked me why I might be concerned about telling her. I told her I didnt know how she'd react. She flat out told me that me being asexual had no bearing on our friendship.🙂

rachelpenguin
14 hours ago, will123 said:

Thats wonderful. When I came out recently to a friend, she asked me why I might be concerned about telling her. I told her I didnt know how she'd react. She flat out told me that me being asexual had no bearing on our friendship.🙂

It’s so nice getting a reaction like that. I’m glad you had a positive experience 🙂

Custard Cream

I came out to a colleague I trust because I was having a tough time after coming out to my partner and really needed to talk about it. I knew she would be great as we have supported each other through bereavements in the last 4 months. I wouldn't want it widely known though - There are some big gossip mongers in the office. I've been lucky though - being married has protected me from most of the rubbish many Aces have to deal with. 

Archived