• I am in the same position in birth order and height order
    • I am taller than my birth position order
    • I am shorter than my birth position order
    • Only child
    • Other answer - please state

This poll is closed to new votes

"Though I am the youngest, I'm the tallest"

Lydia, Pride & Prejudice

I am mesmirised by the statement from Lydia in Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen so that has inspired this question. how does your height compare to the family birth order? for me, i am both the youngest and the shortest

apologies to only children and middle children (I am Irish, I would know of some big families. A work colleague of mine has 9 siblings and so my options are minimalist)

everywhere and nowhere

I'm an only child.

Interestingly, I have never outgrown my mother in terms of height - she is 168 cm tall and I am 163. I stopped growing very early (which seems typical for girls who start menstruating early. I don't care about not being tall, but I hate periods, so: :(). (I also had a full adult set of teeth except wisdom teeth at the age of 9, so probably extremely early.) However... well, I'm much heavier then she is. She has always been fit and cares about her health, I can't even do a lot of exercises because my health and fitness status preclude me from doing so. For example, I wasn't overweight until about 13 years of age, but I was never able to run.

I am the oldest and still taller than my brother, but he's a guy, so it's likely that he'll outgrow me eventually.

I am neither oldest, nor youngest, nor shortest, nor tallest. In my family, even if you go by gender, there is no relation between height and birth order. If anything I think height is correlated more towards which side of my family me and my siblings take after in general. Those who take after the paternal side more tend to be taller, and those who take after the maternal side more tend to be less tall (but still at least average for their gender or even somewhat above average). For example, my middle brother is over 6 and 1/2 ft tall and bears a strong resemblance to my dad, who is also around 6 and 1/2 ft tall (so much so that people who see pictures of my dad as a young man have often mistaken them for pictures of my brother). Meanwhile, I am older than that brother (although I am not the oldest) and am 5 ft 11, and much more resemble my maternal grandfather. It's a similar scenario with my sisters; the taller ones take after my dad's side, the less tall, after my mom's side.

Younger and taller of two (albeit not by a ton; like an inch or so)

Older and shorter than my sister who stands at 5'10" - I'm a lousy 5'3". 😕 And my niece will be taller than either of us.

I can't imagine birth order being much of an influence today.

Aside from genetics (which all kids with the same parents should have the same odds at), nutrition in childhood is by far the most influential factor. While in the past food might have grown sparser the more kids you had, thus impacting younger children for a larger amount of time in their childhood, I don't imagine that being the case in most countries today.

31 minutes ago, CBC said:

Only child and I'm short af (about 5'2"/158 cm).

I'm an only child as well and boy, do I wish I was 158 cm. I'm stuck at 153 in a world made for obviously taller people than me. Yay genetics!

I'm the youngest of two and I'm about 6'2" 

I actually don't like being this tall I'd prefer something more like 5'8"or so because everything is two low for me!

My older brother is 6'4"!

I'm the oldest and tallest of two. For some reason my sister ended up the short one of the family; my mom and I are both roughly 5'6.5", my dad is 6", and my sister is around 5'3" or 5'4". My sister and I are both spitting images of our dad so I doubt my sister came from my mom cheating with some short guy lol.

Alejandrogynous

I'm the oldest of three. My brother (middle child) is the tallest out of the whole family at about 6', and my sister (youngest) is the shortest at 5'2 I think. I'm in the middle, about 5'4.

Oldest of 2 - me, my sister and my mum are all around the same height, but I'm the shortest by an inch or two (5'3"ish, while they're maybe 5'4" to 5'5"ish). 

I'm the oldest and I'm pretty sure I'm also the shortest. I have two siblings and I think it's like this: the youngest, my brother, is the tallest, the middle one, my sister, is in the middle and I, the oldest, am the shortest. My height is somewhere in between 150 cm and 155 cm. 

I'm the oldest (is the correct gramar oldest or eldest?) of 5 and the shortest at 5'2" haha. Sibling 3 is only about an inch taller than me but the others are all much taller.

edit okay I Googled it. Eldest only comes before a noun (ie this is my eldest sister). :lol: And when talked about old people as in 'the elders of the village' 

I'm the eldest sibling. I'm the shortest even though I'm the oldest of 5. Yay gramma :P

First born and tallest. On a familial scale abnormally so, I'm 175cm, dad 160cm, mum 156cm, sister 162cm

Youngest and shortest, though I have 2 brothers, so it's fairly normal for them to be taller than I am ;). And from my brothers it's the younger one who is taller. 

I'm the youngest. I don't know how tall my (older) brother is in comparison to me, but I'm slightly taller than my sister. I thiiiink my brother is the same height as her so I might be the tallest one.

4 hours ago, CBC said:

Only child and I'm short af (about 5'2"/158 cm).

Only child and I’m 5’3/161cm. I’m the second tallest in my family. My mom is 5’8. I have an aunt who is the same height as me. My mom’s parents and other siblings are all in the 5’0-5’2 range. My grandfather’s siblings are under 5’0 I think.

I am child 5 of 6 close to the youngest. i am the tallest  of the boys at 5' 11" my  older sister is 6'and the youngest sister  is 5'10"

I am the third of five (smack in the middle) and the tallest, at 5'7".

I'm 5'6" and the 3rd oldest out of 4.

J. van Deijck

oldest and tallest.

I’m the oldest and tallest at 5’10-11” or so. I have one younger brother who’s more around 5’6-7” (something like that). Overall, I’m kinda an anomaly in my family cause I taller than almost all my immediate relatives (uncles, aunts, cousins, parents, etc.). 

I marked "other" for the height thing because my little brother is still growing and is quickly shooting up. I anticipate him surpassing me in height in the near future, but at this moment I am the tallest. But not for much longer I fear.

I think I'm about 5'7" to 5'8".  I think that's the short side of medium for a young adult male in the U.S., right?

Archived