Is there a term for this?

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

Is there a term for when you are attracted to someone but that attraction switches between a crush and a squish at random times? I've been experiencing this and it confuses me.

Answers are very much appreciated, thank you!

"Confusion"?

• Like 4

To help could you explain what a crush and squish are so I can pitch in my two cents. I know, or at least I think I know, what a crush is but I've never heard of a squish.

letusdeleteouraccounts
14 minutes ago, calmao said:

To help could you explain what a crush and squish are so I can pitch in my two cents. I know, or at least I think I know, what a crush is but I've never heard of a squish.

So from what I’ve read, a crush is an intense romantic attraction to someone while a squish is an intense physical attraction. A squish also leads you to wanting to get know somebody really well but doesn’t exactly lead to wanting to date the person

56 minutes ago, An_Ace_Of_Hearts said:

Is there a term for when you are attracted to someone but that attraction switches between a crush and a squish at random times? I've been experiencing this and it confuses me.

Answers are very much appreciated, thank you!

I don’t think there’s a term for that. I guess you just get mixed feelings about that person. You can have a squish and a crush on a person at the same time though since a crush is more about desire of being with and appreciating a person while a squish is about desire to get to know a person

Well, I know about alterous relationships, that is, relationships that shift between romantic and platonic so I'd guess what you're describing can be considered alterous attraction.

Anthracite_Impreza
4 hours ago, calmao said:

A squish is a platonic "crush"; ie. "I think you're really awesome and I'd love to be your close friend".

OP, I would simply go with "it's complicated".

13 hours ago, Star Lion said:

a squish is an intense physical attraction

An intense platonic attraction, I'd say.

To be honest, it sounds more than anything like you might have some internalized problems with intimacy? Hopefully that doesn't sound rude, because I'm not trying to tell you that there is something wrong with you. But that's what I used to do, and that's exactly what it was . . . it wasn't that I had some "different" romantic orientation, I was just unwilling to get too close to people. It was a coping / protection mechanism.

Huh, now squish might explain what happened to me. I was falling in love with my girlfriend at the time yet she always had trouble expressing romantic feelings. The moment things got a bit real, she flaked, despite her telling me she would never do this or take advantage of me. She wanted to stay friends after everything but it just felt weird.