Hey, I'm Halie and I'm writing an essay! PLEASE HELP

HalieN19

Hello everyone! My name is Halie and I'm almost 17. I've been calling myself ace for 10 months and I'm just now starting to be more open about it with my friends. Most of my friends and family who know are really supportive but I keep hearing the phrase "I just don't understand" and its getting hard to hear. Im writing a reflection essay about my journey and the asexual community. I know my grammar here must be atrocious so I'm very sorry. If theres anything about being ace or the community that you want me to mention please let me know. 

Thank Y'all (I'm southern sorry)

Halie 

Is their "not understandingness" from a position of "I can't comprehend how anyone can be this way", or do they literally not understand what asexuality is?  Because you're dealing with two potentially very different beasts depending on which one it is.

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@HalieN19 Hello! Welcome to heAVEN! There's an infinite amount of :cake: here, so take as much as you want!

Well, a lot of people don't experience asexuality, therefore, they're more prone to saying things like that. I believe it's human nature not to understand things we don't experience. 

@Philip027 Its mostly not understanding how I don't experience sexual attraction. I guess they can't wrap their minds around it. My brother and my mom try hard to be empathetic to me though so it isn't like they aren't trying. I can't imagine my dad would understand but I've never really told him about this stuff so I probably won't discuss it with his side of the family. Thanks for the reply!

Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for stopping by and saying Hello! It's good to read that you want to raise arareness about asexuality. You might want to post to the Visibility And Education Projects forum to get some input on your essay. Furthermore, a lot of misconceptions are being talked about in the Asexual Musings And Rantings thread. There are a few threads which raise good potential talking points, such as #AsexualProblems and Incredibly Ace Moments. There's a bunch of situations and responses that come up again and again; maybe you can "reverse engineer" some of them to see what matters to other asexual people?

Feel free to read and roam and if you have a question, ask away! Good luck for the essay and I hope to see you around :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjxuAdaMJ7JlBL6nRSazx

Welcome to AVEN!

I think I know how they feel because I don't understand, how people do experience sexual attraction.
It's like I'm on the other side of the confusion fence.

ZWughhv.jpg

Archived