Asexuals at Pride

GeneralLeia

I was wondering if any of you would be able to share some experiences from Pride events you’ve been to. I haven’t been to that many, but the ones I’ve been to have all had an element that was outwardly performative in some way. I’m demisexual/gray ace, and I don’t express myself in a lot of the ways I observed. My experience made me feel as if the LGBT community is not a place I belong. I was wondering if any of you had any similar experiences. 

• Like 1

I've only been to one event and I can say I did feel somewhat like an outcast. I think these feeling were mostly brought about since it was a more interactive event and I am extremely introverted and because I was not completely sure of my sexual and gender identity at the time. Being surrounded by people who were confident in their orientation, while I was trying to figure out if I was bisexual or confused, made me uncomfortable. However, that was like a year or two ago, so some things might have changed and I might enjoy it in the future now that I have a good picture of where I stand on the spectrum.

Only went briefly to the Montreal one this past summer because my partner was interested in checking it out.

Didn't find any other obvious asexual signs there, but frankly I wasn't counting on it.

Seems to me that things like these are mostly about the expression of sexual liberation and freedom, and, well, aces typically don't really have much of a sexuality to express (at least I don't), so yeah, I just felt largely out of place there too.

• Like 1
ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@GeneralLeia Hi! Welcome to heAVEN! Have an infinite amount of 🍰! I've never been to a pride event, though it sounds fun! I just came by because I noticed you were new and I wanted to welcome you!

10 hours ago, Marley said:

I've only been to one event and I can say I did feel somewhat like an outcast. I think these feeling were mostly brought about since it was a more interactive event and I am extremely introverted and because I was not completely sure of my sexual and gender identity at the time.

That’s sort of what I’m trying to figure out right now. I wasn’t sure how much of my experience was because I’m introverted and how much is because I’m Ace. I’m also coming out of being Christian for a long time, and that comes with a lot of religious hang ups about sex, so I’m still wondering if I’m actually Demi or if I’ve internalized a lot of shame about sex and that makes me thing that I’m Demisexual. It’s all so confusing!

I’m pretty sure I saw someone with an ace flag as I was driving past a pride event in Norman Oklahoma a couple months back.  It could have been an agender flag, though; The colors are similar, and I was focusing on my driving.  I had no idea anything was happening that day, so I was stuck in traffic while trying to find a parking spot at my favorite frozen custard shop.

Long story short, I never did manage to get my custard, but  I did see a pride flag in the custard shop window, so at least I know the shop owners are cool.

Welcome to AVEN!

I've never been to Pride, on account of not being out as an Asexual to my family, who are conservative to the point of scoffing at the LGBTQ+ community.

ZWughhv.jpg

I've been only to two Pride parades in Germany. On both ace groups were marching. At the event in the city where I live, I just handed out hundreds of flyers of the local ace group and received mostly positive responses. People came to me to tell me that they are glad to see ace representation, some of them said they were ace themselves.

At the other event in Leipzig, I was just given a handful of ace pride buttons on running into the ace group connected to the local LGBTIQA* center. Flying an ace pride flag myself, besides a pan pride flag, might have helped with this 😜.

I've been also to a small town pride event with no ace representation.

I've been to one of the biggest pride parades in Europe a couple of times; I love the atmosphere and everything. As far as ace representation was concerned, I was a bit disappointed, though. I never saw an ace group marching along (then again, it's such a large event, I might have missed them), only once I happened to see a person with a giant ace flag who seemed to be participating in the demonstration all alone.

16 hours ago, Bloc said:

At the other event in Leipzig, I was just given a handful of ace pride buttons on running into the ace group connected to the local LGBTIQA* center. Flying an ace pride flag myself, besides a pan pride flag, might have helped with this 😜.

Let's say that it's not impossible to run into other aces, but it needs to be carefully planned 😋

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I've been to many different pride parades in various countries but not as demigray but homosexual participant. I've never seen many aces or members of the ace spectrum at pride parades so far but I'm sure it's there. Hopefully, it's going to get more visible and present in the future too!

nanogretchen4

Pride in Austin is a mostly cheerful and family friendly event. It will be a large crowd, so if you and your friends arrive separately it may take you a while to find each other. Decide in advance on a meeting place or consider carpooling. There may be a handful of nude or seminude paraders, but if you are actually in the parade you won't see them unless your group is marching right behind them. If you are watching on the sidelines you could just look at something else for one minute of a march that lasts two to three hours. The great majority of participants are fully clothed with a rainbow theme and carrying banners. I think asexuals could participate with no trouble. It's just matter of registering your group and making a banner or some signs.