Grades?

Error_303

Pretty decent student in elementary school. Nothing below a B typically until 1st year of middle school. I didn't want to put in the work anymore because it felt like a major waste of time (it still does to this day). Most grades remained in the A-B range, but my 3rd-last year- of high school I pulled some C's due to my lack of effort in any classes. I was lazy in my school habits and more committed to my extracurriculars. I wish I had tried more because the consequences are finally catching up to me. 

cavalier080854

A & B, as well as Distinctions and with Credits. Also best all round progress for my apprenticeship.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

High School: Two As in Maths, two Bs in Science, B in Philosophy & Ethics (RE), C in German*, C in English, D in English Literature, E in Food Tech, F in IT**. I didn't follow my passion and study Drama, and I still regret making the wrong choice for reasons that seemed right at the time. I also still regret not seeking out my Maths teacher and rubbing my two As in his smug, condescending, bullying, bald-headed-Patrick-Stewart-wannabe, predicting-the-lowest-possible-grades-for-me face. Bastard.

College***: Dropped out of Childcare and Education, went back and got a Merit Merit Merit in Sports Science, which is basically like 3 Bs, I think.

University: Upper second class bachelor of arts with honours, Religious Studies****.

You could call my academic career unfocused, what with ignoring my apparent strengths in Maths and Science and bouncing from RE to Childcare to glorified PE back to RE, but then all I did was try to follow my heart whenever the bureaucracy of the education system allowed. And I have reaped the rewards of my dilettantery with a crap, entry-level retail job, no significant talent for anything and a crushing despair whenever I think about the future.

Seeing it all laid out like that, remembering the choices I made at every step, looking where it's got me... it becomes clear to me (again, but also kind of for the first time) that I fucked up big time.

-------------------------

*Undeserved grade: the teacher cheated to help the whole class through the exams.

**Teacher taught the wrong curriculum for a year, had a nervous breakdown and left us to be taught by a lab technician from the science department. We finally got a new IT teacher four months before the exams.

***Not the American kind, the English kind; equivalent to 11th and 12th grade, I think.

****Undeserved grade: I put in no effort and actually scored in the lower second class bracket (right at the top of that bracket, but still) and was awarded a 2:1 by some weird rounding effect of the system. I also only got that high 2:2 score through a weighting system and I graduated from a more prestigious Uni than the one I actually studied at, thanks to "accredited college" status.

• 1 month later...

High grades in elementary school, mostly high and a few lower ones in junior high, same in high school, and in college my grades are usually good unless my mental health messes me up. I've had breakdowns causing me to miss finals and fail classes. 

• 1 month later...

Best of the year throughout school, at university we did not have such a grade system, but the results were comparable.

Mid 90s in jr high and high school (my mom was living through me and needed me to go to college).

I never finished college but in the classes I have taken I was mostly high 90s.

I went to a private school for programming in the early 80s and finished top of the class.

Elementary/Primary school I graduated with an average of over 9 with grading system of 4-10 with 4 being failed and 10 being excellent. I didn't do much there but I kept my mouth shut which guaranteed at least an 8 in any class. 

Upper secondary/high school my grades were anything from 4 to 10 depending on the course and subject. Mostly eights and nines. Again, studying wasn't something I did much. Matriculation examination I scored three Magna cum laude approbaturs (M), one Eximia (E) and one Cum laude approbatur (C).

At Uni I have continued with the inconsistent line even though studying has become something I do now as it is impossible to pass the courses just coasting through like it was in the previous stages of education. Our grading is on the scale from 0-5, zero is failed. I sometimes just barely scrape together a course despite putting a lot of effort into it and sometimes I get 3's and 4's easily. I suppose some courses are just more difficult than others.

All A's (except a B in Math) and Valedictorian.  

I can use math practically and was an A student in that regard but I can't calculate when I all I get is a sheet of paper with an equation on it, I failed those types of exams with flying colours.

B's and C's in most classes from elementary to college, but A's in English because I'm That Guy.

I'm a smart student - I usually finish my work twice as fast as the average student, and end up ace-ing the test (If my teachers are good I will get mostly A's and B's) but if my teachers are crappy and don't care about their students, I notice I will get lower grades.

Like once I asked a teacher for help and they said "oh just flip through all the stuff again" even though I did multiple times and still was confused. I ended up getting a C that time because the teacher was too lazy to help me! A good teacher would help the student out and not be lazy. -_-

• 2 weeks later...
Chloe O'Leary

I've been a top student for as long as I can remember.

KS2 SATs - 2 level 6s (Maths and Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling) and a 5 (A particularly difficult L6 Reading test)

A 6C (low 6) was pretty much the highest anyone in our Year 6 class could get. (Probably A equivalent?)

GCSE results: 4 9s, an 8, 2 7s, an A* and 2 As.

The numerical results are because many courses moved to the new 9-1 (9 being the highest and equivalent to above an A*, 1 the lowest and roughly equivalent to a G) grading system for 2018 exam season, but I took a few that were still on the old A*-G system. Yeah, it's weird 😕

AS level projected (system-generated targets) - BBB

AS level personal targets - AAA

A-level personal targets - A*A*A*

• 9 months later...

@Error_303

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived